Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

In my experience @zinnia a lot of good specialists aren’t really great with the bedside manners (maybe that’s why so many are getting pas who are easy to talk to!). However, they are very thorough and really did to the bottom of the problem. Glad to hear the drainage is slowing, remaining clear, and no other signs of infection. Let’s hope those results come back soon.

And I’m doing well. Improvements daily. Just working at getting energy level back to normal, which means resting after I put in my 4 hours at work, eating right, and walking.
 
He sounds very thorough @zinnia and I’m sure that you would be worrying even more if he hadn’t taken blood and made sure that everything is ok. When you’re feeling vulnerable a little kindness seems like the most precious gift in the World but ultimately his actions are the more important. Bless you, and I hope that you’ll soon be over this horrid anxiety.
 
Full of P and vinegar, Gramma used to say.
Sure that ain't you?:heehee:
Just want to cheer you up.
Maybe not the way.
Sending much love and going to think p:loveshwr:sitive...
 
Okay, here we go! Just was contacted by the OS's secretary who says they are planning to do a "superficial wash out" on Friday as an outpatient. I go in tomorrow for pre-admission. The surgeon will call at the end of day today to inform me of particulars. She will call me tomorrow am 0 dark 30 to give me time for pre-admission testing. She could not tell me how the blood work tested; OS or PA will do that when he calls. But my assumption is that they were negative and he wants to stop the draining? :shrug: At any rate it doesn't sound like an "opening up" of the incision per se. Sound like anything any one recognizes? I will have more news as this story unfolds but it sounds like a conservative move on his part but only time will tell. I don't think it would be out patient if there was an infection or even the hint of one.

Oh @Mojo333, I'm full of more p*** than vinegar right now, I'm afraid. But I do adore your grandmother. Some of my favorite foods are chocolate chip cookies and brownies @AgilityDog. When this is all over I intend of beating the bushes for the best ones around and I think I have the bakery to try. You are so correct @Descant. I would be climbing the walls (not that I'm not) if he hadn't had blood taken after reading all the case on Bone Smart I could find about hip infections. Scared me to death!

@Mireille, since your name came up on my site, I have been thinking of you and your travels through your own infection scare. I can't imagine how anxious I would be if I faced a joint aspiration. You are very, very brave to be so collected. You're an inspiration for me. Let me hear how it goes for you, please. I will be thinking about you and wishing you wellness very soon.

You are, of course, right, @MammaT, the surgeons especially have a low grade bed side manner. But, in fact, my first surgeon had a happy go lucky attitude about the surgery even though I never saw him at my bedside after surgery except when my husband asked him to come and see me the am after the revision to explain it all. But my new surgeon is very easy to talk to and very reachable. I am glad for him.

Oh, @SaraK, you are the most reasonable gal. You always make me think of the situation in a new light. Thank you for always being so positive and reasonable. When this is all over I am going to have my friend who makes marvelous margaritas make me before Easter dinner. Then I will gloat about it.

Sweet @Layla. . .you do lift me up with your words of kindness all gloved in love. You are such a delight. I do feel I know you all. I am in tears of joy to know everyone now. I have been through so many frightening moments with you one and each at my shoulder being my good and true friend. I am so grateful to you all.

Love to each and all,

Me
 
@zinnia - I had 2 boisterous boys. With the older, I knew it wasnt summer if we hadn't had at least 1 trip to ER yet. I kept waiting and wondering when I was going to be hotlined. Joked with ER admitting once about whether we got frequent flyer points. So when younger son was about 12 and I got a frantic call from mother hosting a Halloween party that Dan had hit his head really hard, I was more concerned about whether he'd broken whatever he hit (hard heads run in my family :heehee:). The other moms were there when I picked him up (he had the good sense not to hurt himself until the party was almost over) and couldn't believe I was so calm when he had a knot the size of a tennis ball on his forehead. I calmly took him to the ER for evaluation and then let him stay home from school the next day since we hadn't gotten home until after 1am and I knew he'd have a good headache that day. I had several calls that night when kids got home and told their mom's Dan hadn't been at school that day (think Ferris Beuller-type rumors thru school that day).

So, unless a bone is sticking out or blood is gushing, I generally keep my calm with medical stuff!
 
Hi dear @zinnia
Superficial means on the skin or immediately beneath it.
Hopefully between the antibiotics and the washout the incision will begin to heal and you'll move forward.
I'll bet you're so tired of all of this...insert hug > :console2: I want it to stop for you so you're able to get out in your garden and do ALL the things you love to do. I hate that you're afraid. You've been through enough.
Hopefully once this is behind you, you'll be able to relax, the weather will cooperate and you'll have a beautiful Easter weekend.
Please keep us posted. You're in my thoughts and prayers. :loveshwr:
 
I'm glad they are going to do something to stop the drainage.
Prayers for good news on blood work and prayers that you will be able to get this thing on the mend after this procedure.
Will be thinking of you today and Friday!:friends:
 
Sending you healing thoughts and wishes @zinnia. I’m so sorry you have reached this bump in the road but you seem like one tough lady so I have confidence you will make it past this obstacle and move on with your recovery. I’ll be looking for your update once you feel up to it after the procedure on Friday.:roseshwr:
 
An update to all you beautiful caring people: haven't talked to OS yet; he is in surgery today. . .too! But in pre-admission testing today at the hospital it is scheduled as a "superficial wash out" as an out patient. My OS is as I've said, very conservative and always prepared for the worst so I am encouraged that he does not expect anything other than a superficial infection if that. There are absolutely no symptoms at all. But that is me beating that poor dead horse again. I am weary, I admit it, to being in the 1 - 2% again. This happens to only about 1 in a 100. Guess who!

I assume he is cutting open the incision at least part way as general anesthesia is called for. Wish it was spinal again. Wow! That was fast. I admit to a bad moment or two yesterday but there's nothing to do but carry on.

I'll try to be as able as possible tomorrow and get some sort of update out. Meanwhile, I appreciate so much all the caring thoughts. It can't be said enough, I couldn't do it without you all.

Love, Nancy
 
Nancy,

If you haven't already been provided with enough information (and it sounds like you haven't), please ask questions to get information before the procedure about 1) what will be done, 2) risks, 3) how you are going to feel afterwards (i.e., is this a painful procedure) and 4) recovery and do's and don'ts for afterwards. Your OS' PA or nurse should be able to get more information or relay your questions when the OS isn't in surgery. It's good that they feel comfortable treating this somewhat "matter of fact" but it's not to you and you'll do better if they answer your questions beforehand. You're the patient/consumer and have a right to know and, for you to be able to give truly informed consent, they need to tell you! Having more information allows you to be prepared mentally and physically and to have any support items/people set up that you may need.

And have that margarita (or two or six) in the meantime!

Sara
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::beer::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::beer::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
That is supposed to be @zinnia , flying high over all the changes she has had with this hip. Sailing by, without a problem to be seen
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] hip replacement gone bad<
    IMG_20180318_135701991_HDR.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 151
Thank you, @SaraK, good plan. I spoke to the secretary last night and said I wanted a call this pm or tomorrow before the procedure and all questions will be asked. Also spoke to nurse today at pre-admission and some of those and some others were answered. And my husband is also a very good advocate. You are absolutely right and we have discussed this ad nauseam. I did not intend to go through with this procedure without more of an explanation as to what the plan was and what outcome was intended and expected.

I'm nervous and you know that so thank you for keeping my on the straight and narrow path. :yes!:
 
@AgilityDog I wish! Pretty nervous about now. Not exactly flying high but thank you for the compliment!

Meanwhile, how are you; what is going on with the reports you are waiting on? :curtsey:
 
I tried to send you some flower photos in a Message. That hasn't happened yet, but I haven't given up. I was able to change my Avatar to Princess Shiloh Anabella. My 1st Agility Dog. Almost 12 inches and almost 12 pounds of speed. Fearless. Rodents (you know, those with the long hairless tails :scary:) were no longer as great a fear. Walk Softly and carry a Jack Russell. Better than a Big Stick
 
@zinnia
I'm playing catchup on my BS friends and am reading about your upcoming procedure.
Just want you to know my thoughts and prayers are with you for a great outcome.
I love conservative but proactive surgeons. Sounds as though you are in good hands.
 
You're in my thoughts and you'll be in my prayers. My prayer list is g-r-o-w-i-n-g minute by minute.
There are several people on the forum sharing complication experiences today.

It sounds like you're in good hands with your OS. I understand growing weary and tiring of being a statistic.
I'm tired of it for you! You're a strong woman and once again....you'll get through.

Please stay in touch, we'll be waiting to hear.
Love and hugs, sweet Zinnia.
@zinnia
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom