Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

:hi: Hi @zinnia
I hope your birthday was wonderful. I'll bet a lot better than last year
when you must have been in great pain.
I hope you have fun in the parade today.
I'll bet you're the prettiest butterfly of all! Let us know how it goes...
Love and hugs :loveshwr: :friends:
 
Oh, You All are so darn sweet to me. I love you all, @Layla and @Mojo333 and @Jackie222 and @SaraK! Love the whole of Bone Smart if truth be told. So many have helped me and continue to help me. . .a huge birthday gift.

I had a glorious birthday with more to come through the weekend as suggested. Haven't even broken into the birthday cake yet. But tonight is the night. In just a few minutes to be exact.

I managed up onto the float with a bit of a kitchen step ladder and someone on each side and husband in the back. It was great fun to fling Mardi Gras beads and tiny wrapped Tootsie Rolls at spectators, especially the kids. A bit of a lunch afterwards and then home to settle into an afternoon of quietness until an Italian dinner and. . .just a bit ago, the most miraculous chocolate cake in the world. Happiest Birthday ever.

I have good days and not so good days with the unassisted walking. Some days it isn't possible; I limp so I stop trying. Others I can even walk heel/toe for several paces and get the hang of it. Still clunky though and it doesn't last long. Is this the way it starts?

Happy to hear @Layla, that your mom has scheduled the surgery for the hip. I was her age when I had the primary on this one. My best thoughts are with her. Please, give her my best and keep me informed about her recovery. When is she scheduled?

Best of good days to you all. I love you dearly. You are such special people. Thank you all for the birthday wishes; they mean so much to me. :loveshwr:
 
And WE love you right back, dear @zinnia. We're hopelessly devoted!
So wonderful you were able to ride on the float and toss out necklaces and Tootsie Rolls.
Must have been fun.
It sounds as though you're taking the walking slowly. It will come. You're doing great!

My moms surgery is in two weeks. I'll keep you posted. She is in good health but I keep wondering what this recovery will look like compared to the recovery from her first 8-9 yrs ago. As we know each recovery is different even with the same person. Hopefully this one runs as smoothly as her last. I'll use you as a stellar example when
ever I have an opportunity.

Hope your Sunday is great as you close out your birthday celebrations.
Prayers the next year brings you healing, lots of love, peaceful contentment and abundant happiness!
:loveshwr: :friends:
@zinnia
 
I think I've developed a small hematoma along my incision. It was previously a hard lump I was massaging but in the last few days turned into this dark soft spot which when touched seems to have a small hole beneath it. It's about the size of a man's thumb nail. It is slightly inflamed around it but not hot or sore at all. Luckily I go to the PA tomorrow morning. Anybody ever have this same situation? :groan:
 
Gee. No experience with that. Please let us know what they say.
Thanks for spreading some assurance and comfort..it's nice to get advice from those who know.
 
Hi @Mojo333, The PA called this strange looking place on the incision something I don't remember and couldn't pronounce if I did. Basically it is a wound area caused by a clipped stitch on the last layer of tissue the clipped ends of which are/have irritated the underside layer of my "sensitive" skin layer. It will heal up of course but all I do is clean it with alcohol 2 or 3 times a day and take antibiotics 2 to 3 times a day. I probably will be pulling out these ends as they make their way out of the incision unless they do what they are supposed to do. . .dissolve. Nothing to worry about; but an irritation.

The good news is that X-rays show bone ingrowth, a lot of it. Everyone was worried about that but my body has come through. Wow! And most restrictions have come off except for leaning and twisting to the opposite side of the replaced hip. I can ride my bike, garden, do yoga up to a point. I am not to worry about the walking. Do as much as I can, walk unassisted when I feel strong enough to do it and be patient with myself. All the advice Bone Smart (read: all of you guys) have been giving me. So all in all a really encouraging report. Back in 2 weeks to check on "the wound" and to take an Xray of the left knee. I am afraid there is another surgery in my not to distant future. Perhaps the end of September or October.

I am happy that is over; real nerves until he told me that the Xray showed so much bone ingrowth! Since the 1st revision showed no bone ingrowth at all. Now it's a concentration on continuing to heal and perfecting a gait with walking. Since I am walking very much like a child walks when first they try it's discouraging. I need to venture past this stage and be kind to myself and not rush things. All in all I am happy! :happydance::yay::dancy::spin::eyebrows::egypdance::cheers:
 
Great report @zinnia. You deserved the good news. Walking will come. I have also thought I am walking like a child, but really, since we are learning to rewalk , that makes sense.
 
Great to hear all is well, Zinnia!
Yahoo, Zinnia's body doing exactly what it's supposed to do, healing just as it should.
I sense your happiness and it makes me happy. :yes!:
Patience and perseverance and you WILL get there.
Sending lots of love your way! :loveshwr:
@zinnia
 
Fantastic news, @zinnia - that must provide so much reassurance to see that things are truly different this time around! You can think it is, but until they show you evidence of it, there had to be some layer of caution. Yay for getting your life back but boo about the knee.
 
The good news is that X-rays show bone ingrowth, a lot of it.
Well now you have done it...made me cry! Happy happy tears!
Yay:yahoo:
I'm so very happy for you.
The best news ever...you have to be delighted.
Thanks for making my day.:yes!:
 
Oh that's wonderful to hear Zinnia! Must be such a weight off your mind!
 
What fantastic news!! I, too, am very happy for you. I’m not sure if I have posted in your thread before but I have read your thread as well as many of your encouraging posts to others. You are such an inspiration and a real asset to the forum. You’ve been through a lot so I know this latest news was extra welcome. With spring coming, you’ll be able to get out more and do plenty of walking. After my surgery, even when using my walker or cane, I’d think in my mind “heel, toe....heel, toe,” and on and on to get a good gait. It really helped. Wishing you well...
 
:loveshwr:Hi @zinnia
Wondering how you're doing?
We haven't heard from you in a few days.
You're pretty active...I'm sure you've been out there tearing up the town.
Hope you're having a great weekend! :loveshwr:
 
Not tearing it up, @Layla, not yet anyway. I just don't have much to add; recovery is going very slowly. PT has been extended by some angel of mercy in the insurance industry. I don't know how much longer I have.

Frankly, I am just hoping beyond hope that the Bone Smart program applies to me as well. The 2+ years have taken a toll on my ability to walk with any grace and assurance. I am walking more, around the house and about the yard. Unassisted that is. Longer distances by inches not feet, at least that's what it feels like. It's very hard; I get tired quite soon. I think I might be able to walk a block, maybe. I walk every where on the cane. I really hardly use it though, just as a point of balance I think. The OS PA cautioned me to not rush it, take it slowly and not to get discouraged. That was good advice and advice I get from you and all the other sweet, lovely folk on BS.

So that is where I am and what I am doing. I am waiting for the weather to clear so I can get out into the garden. I have some dandy new tools I can use from a sitting position and I am excited to see how they will work. I will probably go to the Y this pm and work on the NuStep. My PT will be excited to hear about that.

Thank you for checking in on me, Lovely Lady. Have a wonderful Sunday. You deserve all good things. :roseshwr:Right back at cha!

 
Last edited:
:wave:Glad you posted.
I'm sure you get weary of it.
Only 4 months out from a second revision. THR, fractured pelvis, and two revisions in the course of two years...so hard on your poor body, so I think you are stunningly resilient. And inspiring to many on this forum.
So glad to know people like you that refuse to be kept down.
Rooting for you!:friends:
 
@zinnia Well you sound to be amazing, congratulationsyou have been through so much-----happiness in your garden is just round the corner, it is so threrapeutic isn't it, Thinking of you. xxx
 
I truly believe the BoneSmart philosophy will benefit you, Zinnia
You're making progress in walking around the house and yard unassisted. That's wonderful!

Feeling fatigued seems normal when you're only 3 1/2 months post op from a revision.
Your poor body has been through some major trauma and it's trying with all its might to heal.
And it IS healing. I'm assuming as we age healing takes a little more time than when we're younger.
Any one of us would probably fare better if we could shave 10-20 yrs off at the time of recovery.

Even your OS and PA advised taking it slow. Re-read your post from Monday. See how happy and encouraged you were. You're doing great!

I'm using you as an example for my 81 yr old mom when she has her second hip replacement
in a couple weeks. I already talk about you with her and tell her how great you're doing! She knows about all of your vacations and we even discussed what type of shoes you should travel with when you were going to Cali and Catalina and asking for opinions. I asked her because she was a travel agent and has seen the world, twice over I think. Figured she should have packing mastered by now!
So I'll be on the forum calling on you in a couple weeks.....Help, Zinnia, HELP :heehee: while I'm sitting with her.

I'm with you on waiting for Spring. Enough of Winter already. How exciting, new garden tools
to use while sitting. Wonderful idea! :flwrysmile:

Sending lots of love and hugs....you're special to me, Zinnia :friends: :loveshwr:
@zinnia
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom