Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Hillary, yes I loved looking at your B&B pictures, they were all awesome! Thanks so much for posting it. I had tried to find your B&B one night ... when I had too much time on my hands .... and then I abandoned the idea as I did not want to seem like a Bonesmart stalker ... LOL.

I showed my husband the pics and told him we were going to your B&B one day. I have always wanted to visit Scotland! My mother's name is McFarland and I guess it can go either Irish or Scottish so I am not sure other than I love plaid!

I have been to London, Paris and Amsterdam and would love to visit Scotland. I had relatives and they said they enjoyed Scotland the most.

Good luck with your long car ride. I hope you make it without discomfort. Take care!

Lisa
 
Hi Hillary, I've been catching up on a few threads and was looking through yours. I see where you posted where your B&B is. Lovely! Nothing is too far away from anything in Scotland, it's all relative, but I've been in your general direction. I was in Kirtlebridge, near Gretna Green, visiting the ancestral stronghold of Bonshaw Tower a few years back! We were living in Germany at the time and are now back in the US living in Michigan.
 
Nearly 8 weeks Post Op.

You may have heard that parts of Scotland have experienced some unusually bad weather! I know lots of you think our 'snow fall' is a mere light scattering - but boy did we get some last Friday! I shall try & upload a photo or two after this post. 60+ hours without any electricity & very little heat was not fun! :beg: :tantrum:

On Thursday (day before snow thank goodness) we drove 210mile round trip to see my OS Surgeon which took 2+ hours and I was seen for all of 4 mins by the surgeon! He admired his handiwork and professed himself very pleased with it & left the room, oh yes gave me a tip on how to stand crutches up on their handles so they didn't fall over! The Physio took a little longer & said I needed more bend, grief woman, I'd just spent 2 hours in a car!! :headbang:

The great thing is that I'm doing well and they don't want to see me until January 2014! I shall keep on with my exercises etc as I've said before I've not gone through all this not to get my knees back to as good as normal as possible! :bicycle1:

The following morning, Friday, we woke to the most awful snow storm with very strong winds.The snow very quickly filled up all the roads and brought down power lines , within hours we were powerless & cut off. OH and I sat in our sitting room with layers of jumpers, jackets I had a hat on and was under a duvet! Not a good look but it was freezing, we did have a small gas cooker ring for hot drinks & a gas fire to try & keep chill off! We survived! The metal in the knees really reacted & they did ache!

Eldest daughter & her husband drove to nearest town on Sunday ( she was doing a wedding dress sale there) & we finally managed to get through to the hotel and had a SHOWER!!!:yay: :happydance: Spent a good day with them and crawled back to our freezing house:groan: The roads were blocked with huge 8 - 10 ft drifts but the fields were green grass with lambs trundling about! Bizarre! Summer is due to start this week?????

Power came on during the night so woke feeling slightly more human! Contact with the outside world was resumed!

It's been very hard for some people, the Island of Arran is still cut off (5 days now) but are getting generators for power. Some of you will be well used to big snowfalls but we aren't, in fact I don't recall weather like this since 1964/5 some folks are saying the worst snowfall here in 68 years!

Keep well & safe folks!
Hugs:friends:
Hx

Can't post pics apparently too big & no idea how to make smaller....??? :sorry:
 
Hi Hilary, what an experience for you. I am glad you are safe and have power restored.
Great news from your OS visit, you are doing a great job.
I totally agree with you about continuing to work on improving your knees. We are very privileged to have these great shiny new knees so like you I want to make the most of it.
Have a great day,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :yay:
 
Wow Hilary, cant imagine being without heat and power. We tought we were bad off because we had to clear the path. Glad you got thru it ok and are back to sort of normal. It does annoy you when the OS spends so little time with you. I supose its good in a way because nothing is wrong but mine was the same. Didnt get my ROM measured or see a physio just cleared me for driving and having a bath and said should we book the next one in. I declined that offer and have an appointment with him this November to talk about this further. It must be nice to live in such a beautiful part of the world but at times like this with this unpredictable weather it must be awful. I really hope things improve weatherwise and keep up with the positive attitude towards your recovery. Take Care.
 
Sorry to hear about the power outage and snow storm! If you go to Forum Runner to log into Bonesmart (search "Bonesmart") you can post photos of any size easily. I'm feeling lucky looking out the window this morning not to see snow with another big storm that skirted just to the South of us!
 
HilaryP it sounds like you have been through a rough time!! Poor thing!! The cold would do me in and especially with both your knees.

I cannot believe your OS only saw you for 4 mins! Grrrr to him as he should have spent a few more mins. You don't have to go back to 2014? That is so amazing! Things over there are much different than here.

You might need a propane heater for the future if they allow them over there. Just wanted to say I hope things warm up for you soon! I grew up in Chicago, IL so I know cold weather but being in California now I don't deal with any more but I do have to deal with very HOT summer days over 105 Fahrenheit.

Post again when you can! Take care! Hugs!
 
10 weeks out tomorrow!

I've not been on here for ages! Nothing new to report really, except that the Physio is happy with my 90 bend(or was it 95 I can't remember now) and says everything else will just follow on if I keep on with my exercises. She kept my crutches & gave me a stick (cane) a told me to keep going & to walk more if I can, so doing nearly half a mile every few days now. Back to work as a warden on my village caravan site, that's not hard, 3 visits for an hour at a time making a total of 21 hours a fortnight. Driving again too, so life is good.

Standing to do the ironing, cooking supper, baking, walking normally :yay: around the house and for the first time this morning I walked upstairs one foot after another on different treads, got so excited went back down and did it again!:yes!:

I'm not ever going to know the number of ROM I get and I DON'T care, I sometimes think we are too hung up over numbers, that's all they are numbers. I'm far more interested if I can do my 5 mile morning walk or enjoy a stroll along the beach, or help my daughter in her shop carrying stuff up and downstairs. I don't need to know what my ROM is to live a happy and full life with my wonderful new knees!

Take care everybody!

Hugs:friends: Hx
 
I'm not ever going to know the number of ROM I get and I DON'T care, I sometimes think we are too hung up over numbers, that's all they are numbers. I'm far more interested if I can do my 5 mile morning walk or enjoy a stroll along the beach, or help my daughter in her shop carrying stuff up and downstairs. I don't need to know what my ROM is to live a happy and full life with my wonderful new knees!

[Bonesmart.org] Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!) A BoneSmartie after my own heart!!! I agree with you 100%, Hilary. It's being able to live your life and do the things you want to do with your knees' full cooperation that really counts. And it certainly looks as if you are getting there day by day.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)
 
Hello Hilary! I just finished reading all of your posts. I thought that because I"m following your thread that I would receive email updates when you post something...but I haven't. So dingy me...I thought you hadn't posted anything. Now I know better and I will keep checking back here to see what you're up to. Just so glad that you are doing well! Ok...except for the power outage and all that snow!! That was a crazy thing to happen to you. I love your attitude about ROM...and I'm adopting the same attitude! I went to my new PT yesterday and he seemed really nice. We basically talked and he took some measurements. I start back to PT sessions tomorrow morning, and you can bet that this time I'm not going to let this new PT hurt me like the other idiot PT I used to have. I'm going to print out the Bonesmart mantra and send it to this idiot and let him know he's got the wrong philosophy when it comes to new knees! I hope you are enjoying some lovely spring weather!! Hugs...Pam
 
Hello Hilary! Was thinking of you this morning and hope you are doing well!! I am now 9 1/2 weeks post op and doing well. My new PT has been great! GENTLE exercises seem to be the key! I'm the one who tends to overdo it at home...then my knees are not happy. Last week I moved a piece of heavy furniture about 20 feet. Found out that it wasn't a good idea...boy my knees were not happy for days!! Enjoy your day!! :)
 
Hi HilaryP

Just checking to see how you are doing? I am going to assume GREAT since you have not posted otherwise. I bet you are busy with your business! Take care!
 
Hilary I have so enjoyed your thread on your journey! I had BTKR on June 4. It is nice to hear you are doing so well. I am in the pain part of my journey. I look forward to months ahead when I can walk normal again with straight legs! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom