Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Hilary and hugs to you!! I'm praying that all is going well....and that your pain is being managed well. Hang in there!!!
 
Thank you!
Day 2 - Had a really rough patch in middle of day. Upped dosage of pain relif, I turned ito a zombie, was sick & miserable. Spasms & a pushy P Thrapist! I'm going for first out of bed experience tomorrow! Back to just epidural pump & paracetamol which is fine at moment. Heaven knows what tomorrow will throw at me but will get through it! Hope you're doing ok Pamx! Hugs to you. Doing posting via 'phone so pleas forgive errors.
Roll on day 3!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)
Be sure and get the meds all sorted---rest when you can---post when you feel up to it---and take care of yourself.

We care. [Bonesmart.org] Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)
 
Day 11 - Home safe & sound. Feel quite incredible, had the most amazing pain free experience with a small blip but otherwise everything is WONDERFUL!:dancy: Tad weary after a 2 & 1/2 hr car journey home. I shall post my diary from Day 3 - 11 over the rest of the weekend when I' m sorted out. Gave up trying to post with my phone screen just too small for my woozy eyes!:sorry:

Hope & pray all folks fit & well too!

H
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)
Good to hear you're home and in such good spirits! Looking forward to reading the rest of the story when you get it posted.


Take care, we care. [Bonesmart.org] Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)
 
Ok folks going back to the begining a bit & then trying to bring my experiences up to date!
KNEE DIARY:
Tuesday 29th January, 2013 - Pre-op Day & Hospital arrival.
My hospital is minimum 2 ½ drive from home & as I had to be there for 1.pm we left about 10. It was a very quiet journey! I cannot describe my feelings, sheer unadulterated terror is close. It’s not knowing what’s going to happen & the real phobia I have of needles. When I got up to the ward I couldn’t step into the reception, a nurse took one look at me removed my bag & told Tim to take me to sit down, from then on the tremendous care & attention of ME took over. They explained as little or as much as I wanted to know & most importantly let Tim be with me as much as possible. I was constantly breaking down in tears, shaking, a complete wreck. They assured me that no injection would hurt and that I’d get the best care they could give. All true! How hospitals & nursing have moved on in 15+ years, all my dreadful fears & memories of past experiences are just that, memories. I shouldn’t have been so scared, but I’m human & that’s how we are! The last thing that night I prayed that God would keep me safe & help me through it all - he really came through too!
 
Day 3
To be honest I recall very little about these early days as I was so full of stuff that all I seemed to do was sleep, happily fill my bag via catheter, nibble a bit & sleep some more. I was still on the epidural pump with the ability to help myself, just paracetamol & ibrobrufen (forgive my spelling). Tim was staying in the hotel attached to the hospital is was SO good having him there from 11am till 9pm every day - what a trooper! The PT came in and said up this afternoon - my response was unprintable!!!
 
Day 4:
Not such a brill day really, had a bit on an uncomfy night as the catheter was now out & as the water works were doing a very good job I had to heave onto a bedpan every two hours! Not fun! During the Sunday my lovely nurse Audrey said she was getting the doc to have a look at me as she felt my sats were too low. After an xray followed by a cat scan - which was nasty as the vein in my hand popped & the dye filled up the back of my left hand - it was discovered I had a small PE in my right lung! I was not amused but at the same time relieved they’d found it. I had no symptoms so it was Audrey’s diligence & experience that spotted it. I was rather low that evening, also all the different meds still being pumped into me meant I was still feeling fuzzy & listless. Now to top the lot I was going to have to take Warfarin for six months. :cry:
 
Day 5 & 6
Can’t remember these days apart - just fed up with feeling fuzzy & woozy. The night staff were not the best (in fact the ONLY time I encountered staff that were not the most helpful they could possibly be) I was still having to call for a bed pan as the Physio had got me out of bed onto the Pulpit walker I promptly had a dizzy spell & was quickly heaved back into bed. Later on I did manage to shuffle up & down my room, I know it felt good. My sister & husband visited from Edinburgh which was a big boost too. I also managed to stand holding onto the walking frame too, but was far too scared to move!
The unhelpful night staff left me rather too long on the bed pan & as a result I had to call for more woozy making pain killers & then forgot to turn out the lights when they left - I was not a happy patient!
 
Day 7 Tues 5th Feb

Woke up cross & determined! The ward Physio was back from holiday so I was going to have 1 person helping me so I told her I was fed up being told lots of different things & trying to please her lot, the nurses & do what was right for me.:hairpulling: Also asked to speak to pain management team to get these pain killers sorted once & for all!
The upshot of this new me, I was hobbling on crutches (crying with joy) on different pain killers - just Co-cod-amol every 4 hrs & Oxinorm when necessary (which I’m delighted to say is hardly ever) & had my first sit down in the toilet on my own!! :whistle:
On my notes I noticed - “Cries when told about something new & scary, listens to instructions & then does it - VERY determined lady!”:blush:
Corner well & truly turned! I think before surgery although I’d found it very difficult to walk I’d had very little pain, so had taken very few pain killers so now all the stuff they were pumping into me made me feel dreadful & once it was clear my system I felt clear headed & a new person!:happydance:
 
On my notes I noticed - “Cries when told about something new & scary, listens to instructions & then does it - VERY determined lady!”
Now that sounds like high praise to me -- to be scared to death and to do it anyway is the definition of courage. Chapeau!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)
and don't let anyone tell you different! Just doing it does get you there. Happy you've got the pain meds sorted and feel like yourself again. It's just going to get better and better from here on out.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)
 
Day 8 - Wed 6th Feb
Things just kept getting better! With the help & encouragement of the Physio staff I went from pulpit walker to zimmer & stood on my crutches all in one day! Just amazing! Of course I dissolved into tears when told I was going to be introduced to zimmer only to have it removed…..! What a limp lettuce I am! Anyway, I managed to keep the zimmer for night time visits to the loo, also my sats had finally come up & I was off the oxygen at night too, much more comfortable. What a HUGE difference being able to go to the toilet when I wanted too, turn on/off lights (my only real complaint of the hospital no light switches close to the bed) & shut my bedroom door so I got peace at night. Still managing on standard meds nothing extra - amazing. Ice, rest & elevation just works so well for me.
 
Day 9 Thurs 7th Feb
Surgeon very pleased with me - he’s not the only one! VERY proud of myself, can accomplish everything the Physio asks, not huge bend but enough to go home (80%), small straight leg lift, walking with crutches in walking pole style. Feeling great, slightly overdid exercise & had to have a painkiller (Oxynorm) during night, but that’s what they’re for! Been told if local surgery can cope with getting my IRN right for my Warfarin I can go home Fri or Sat, DELIGHTED! Think it’ll be Sat but that’s ok with me!:yay: :happydance:
 
Day 10 Fri 8th Feb

Physio said I need to do stairs test. Easy peasy…….!!!! Eeerm not quite! She took me to the hospital indoor firescape, metal steps, open in the middle to the ground, guess what I get vertigo,:gaah: what happened when she told me to grab the rail …… yes …. I wept!:cry:
Anyway, after a fair amount of hiccupping, sniffing & giggling I managed about 15 steps up & down! All boxes ticked I was signed off by the Physio!!!!!:spin:
In the afternoon I went to a short lecture/talk on what to do when we got home. For the first time I actually saw held & looked at my knee replacement, it’s amazing looks like something you’d pick up in a DIY store, heavy & huge! It was also suggest that a mini skateboard is a really good thing for helping the knee bend, you just sit rolling your leg back & forwards, I’m hoping to borrow one this week.

My last night in hospital :yahoo: I slept like a log even spurned my zimmer to use my crutches for night loo visits!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom