Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Hilary, you are doing amazingly well. It is nice to read such a positive and upbeat post.
Did you have any problem getting both knees done together? I would have done that but my surgeon will not do it.
Never mind. I could have tried other surgeons but I was otherwise happy so am sticking with one at a time.
Take it gently,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
:thankyou: Toothfairy! I've been incredibly lucky with how well everything has gone. Although I've always thought of myself as a complete and utter coward with all things medical & dental I have to say that having my teeth cleaned is more painful than what I've been through! Compared to other folks experiences I had very little pain before surgery and it seems even less afterwards. Discomfort ( just muscles reacting to bruising - if you've ever cracked ribs and when you move you know it's going to be a bit sore - no worse than that) has been my worst problem.

I had to kick up a tremendous fuss to get to the hospital of my choice near Glasgow - SO glad I did too - if I'd gone to the nearer hospital Dumfries they'd have made me have one done later. They don't do a great deal of TKR in Dumfries my main reason for wanting the Golden Jubilee. When I went for my assessment the surgeon said I could do whatever I wanted but if I had both it'd be harder to begin with but it was then all over & done with. He booked me in for two & then left it to me & said I could change my mind right up to the time I went to surgery, very reassuring! He does hundreds of replacements so was well used versed on the problems I'd encounter and he never ever told me an untruth or tried to lessen what I was intending to do. I never changed my mind, I just knew if I had a bad experience I wouldn't want to go back and go through it all again. Nurses, other patients etc kept telling me how brave I was, I didn't feel it, having both done was right for me.

We are all different & what's right for one doesn't mean it's right for all. I also have a wonderful, caring, supportive husband who is at home all the time (we run a B&B together) so I knew there would be no problem with having to struggle to manage when I came home as I do need longer & more assistance than if a single TKR.

I'm delighted you've found a surgeon you like & trust - vital in my book, soon be all done & dusted I'll be thinking about you on Saturday hope you have an early slot and then I'll look out for your first post on t'other side.:egypdance: :happydance: :spin:

Hugs!
Hx
 
Week 4 from Surgery - Sat 23rd Feb - Sun 3rd March
Finally after lots of blood tests etc etc the warfarin dosage is now sorted out so only tested every 2 weeks now much better! The side affects from this is that I'm cold, lovely sunny weather and I'm wrapped up like an Eskimo! I suppose I shouldn't complain as better that than a nasty blood clot.

Actually I'm in a right moaning mood, frustrated, fed up & bored! After last weekend I really felt I was turning a corner, until I moved or tried to walk, then I remembered everything. It feels as if I've got two VERY tight straps over my knees that stop me walking properly or bending my knees, how can I get rid of them? I'm trying really really hard to increase my bend but it just doesn't seem to be happening, I've got this sort of dread that I'm going to be stuck like this! I'm fed up the the District Nurses coming in and saying 'Your doing really well' - am I? Doesn't feel like it.

This morning, I was pottering about helping get guest breakfast cleared away, somehow I left my crutches on other side of the room, when I realised I burst into tears because I felt I couldn't get back to them. How stupid was that? I think because I've made such good progress with no problems my brain is saying - Ok you're fixed, everything back to normal!

I know I'm really lucky to have two lovely new knees that WILL work properly before long, but at this precise moment I feel totally & utterly stuck.

Sorry, moan over just feeling sorry for myself,:boohoo: thanks for listening guys.
Hx
 
Hi HilaryP, it sounds like you have been working so hard that you might need a small break or a fun mini outing to take your mind off things. I know how I feel and I only had one done and you had two plus other medical issues. I pbelieve you are feeling quite normal after a double TKR which is a life changing event.

I have had this feeling too and over some small stuff. Is there somewhere you could go to even if you have to force yourself to get out of the house and outside somewhere? Or maybe other wiser Bonesmartees than think of something.

Keep posting your feelings on here as you are not alone :) and I think this is all normal and will pass.

I would write more but I am so foggy headed today I am scared I won't make any sense.

Hang in there as you have been doing great! Every time I have a rough time of it I tell myself to knock it off as HilaryP had BOTH her knees done and she is making it!

I hope you feel better and your day gets brighter!!! :flwrysmile:
 
SadKnee :thankyou: I don't think I've ever been an inspiration to anybody, I'm very honoured, thanks again.

Actually, I think you're exactly right about a trip out, just realised I missed out of my post a trip out in the car with OH on Saturday to a nearby village and my favourite bric-a-brac store, I didn't want to get out of the car & go in. Went onto next village with favourite coffee shop in a book shop - cakes, coffee & something to read, bliss!! Yet again, didn't get out of car. Coward or what?:umm:

So this morning over breakfast we've agreed we're going to have lunch out during this week, I have to visit this hotel for a function I'm helping at on 23rd March, so got to go sometime! I also have a visit to the Physio tomorrow - heaven knows how that's going to go, may well end walloping him/her with crutch & wobbling out!!!!:whistle:

I do take regular walks out of the house along the road, by the beach so I do get out, but as you say I think I need to get AWAY from the house, it's becoming like an extra crutch and a bit of safety blanket/prison!

Thank you SadKnee! Hope all's well with you/

Hugs :friends: H
 
Week 5 from surgery! Wow where did that go?
Anyway had my first session with Physio yesterday. Living in Rural Scotland this is not an easy thing to arrange, very few of them around usually hundreds of miles apart so it tends to be only offered if really vital.

She and I & both survived the experience! I'm delighted to say that I've only lost a little amount of bend, which I was concerned about, she was not worried at all. Very pleased with my strength and ability to get legs completely flat. Suggested I needed to have a slightly more raise in the bottom of my bed at night, which is being arranged today with an old duvet, no posh foam wedges for me! She gave me a couple more exercises which will hopefully help with improving the bend, but sent me away very happy & exhausted!

I do shuffle around the kitchen without a crutch at the moment and sometimes just one around the rest of the house, feel quite a lot more secure but still don't stand straight with just one. Got very sore palms at the moment so using my cycling gloves, go faster crutches OH says! Looks strange but does help!

Making plans to go visit our youngest daughter in Leeds at the end of the month - a 5 hour car journey:umm: but we HAVE to go! She doesn't know it but something exciting is happening this weekend.....??:happydance: So we have to make the trip to celebrate at the pre arranged family get together.

Feeling good, also feel as if I'm making progress again, being told by a 'professional' that you are doing well is a real boost to the system. Take care all & have a good day:flwrysmile:
Hx
 
Hi HillaryP! Wow you must live in a remote area if it takes hours to see a PT. And this was your first visit and you have been doing it all alone? So incredible that she was impressed with your progress! That means you are doing a GOOD JOB!

I had no idea you were in Scotland. I have always wanted to visit Scotland and one day I will :). Do you live in the Highlands? My apologies but I am not familiar with how your country is laid out. I will have to research this tonight to familiarize myself.

Good luck with your 5 hour car journey. Please take plenty of breaks and pack some ice so you can pull over and elevate if you need to. Whatever you are driving to sounds exciting!

I am glad you are happy with your progress! That is good! So much of healing is attitude and feeling good about how things are going.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you fare on that drive. :flwrysmile:
 
Hello peoples! Our internet router box (?) died on Friday so we've been a bit lost, fortunately a new one arrived yesterday and we are back! Amazing how we managed - only a few years ago too - without mobiles, laptops etc etc. Land lines, library's & books!!

The Knees? Oh they are just great thank you. I moved back up to our bedroom on Saturday night, I was a bit worried but apart from scaring husband to death by towering over him whilst turning over all went well! It's a lovely big bed so no worries about bashing into each other - who'd want to do that anyway!!!! I'm sleeping mostly on my sides, with a little pillow to support one or other knee, so much better! I also removed my seat from the shower & feel quite happy with just the grab handle.

I frequently forget a crutch when going from room to room downstairs, but I do walk without one rather like I've got a fully nappy - not a good look! - so try to remember to use one. I feel so much stronger and safe, although after standing for any length of time I still sit with them up & now & then an ice pack. I've dropped the strength of tablets mid day - no problems but am still on 4 times daily. Hoping to drop middle of day ones soon.

I've got my first hospital check up on Thursday with a visit to the Physio the day before so hopefully I'll get a good report from both. The new exercises the Physio gave me have really helped the bend.

All in all I'm feeling really, really good. Doing a little bit of work on our caravan site again, short visits & doing just paper work at the moment. Feels so good to be useful! Cooking supper now & then, ironing whenever needed.

Hope everybody else is well & happy! Thanks for your concern SadKnee, so nice to be thought about!

Hugs all:friends:
H
 
:goodpost: Hi Hilary,
I hope your appointments go well this week. You are making wonderful progress. I am really pleased for you.
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :yes!:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)
Really nice update, Hilary. Just great that your knees are coming along so well. You'll be walking cane free all the time before you know it. Keep up the good work---and don't go over doing just because you feel great. It'll come back to bite you, and we don't want that.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Hilary's Log Ride! - (telling it like it is..!)
 
Lovely to read about your progress Hilary, two things I really agreed with and many made me giggle. Firstly what you said about your home being like a security blanket and not wanting to venture out. My bedroom was like that I had everything to hand, ate up there and shooed the husband out to spare room. It took a while to feel confident enough to go out especially on my own when my daughter went back to Uni. Secondly and this made me giggle too walking like you had a full nappy. Ha ha that was exactly my look as well. I was horrified and auctually a little scared when I saw myself in the mirror. The other thing was talking about your visit to physio: I might just wallop them with a crutch and wobble off. Brilliant. Thank you for adding humour to your progress and making it entertaining reading. So think you bilaterals are AWESOME. One is enough for me to cope with. Take care. :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Hillary still amazed at how good you are doing and you had BOTH knees done. Hats off to you. Keep up the GREAT work! You still inspire me! :yes!: I am glad you posted as I was getting worried when you had not posted for a while. :flwrysmile:
 
robynhood SadKnee :thankyou: You are both very kind.

Pat, let me guess either Nottingham way or near Whitby area, am I way off the mark?

Sad Knee I don't think I ever told you that I'm not in the Highlands but just over the border from England then turn left and go all the way towards the bit of Scotland that's closest to Ireland. Area called Dumfries & Galloway in South West Scotland and it's just beautiful. We run a B&B which is right on the beach broken link removed: https://www.hawthorn-house.co.uk/ is us!

Busy day today, got to make some cakes to take to the Nurses station at the hospital when I go for my check up tomorrow. Then a blood test with the nurse at the local surgery, finally back to the Physio this afternoon to see how well the bend is coming along. Early bed for me tonight I reckon!

Busy, busy, busy!
Hugs everyody :friends:

Hxxx
 
Hi Hilary, sounds like you need a quiet day tomorrow after all of that.
I have had a look at your website, your B@B looks wonderful, what a fabulous place to live. I will bookmark it in case I am looking for accommodation in that neck of the woods.
Usually when we come to Scotland we are in Peebles, that is where my husband is from and his family mainly still lives there. My parents moved there in 1986 from Glasgow so we can visit most of the family while we are there.
Get those legs elevated with some ice once you get home from all your appointments.
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
:iagree: Except I'll spend most of tomorrow (Thurs) in the car as the hospital is in Glasgow so that's an all day trip for us!
If I'm a good girl :yahoo: I'll get a nice lunch whilst we are out! Friday will def be a very quiet day, until daughter, her husband & dog arrive about midnight :happydance: :spin: for a weekend visit! I might have to get up to greet them!

H xx
 
Morning Hilary, No not Nottingham I live in Cheshire. Nr. Chester. The 'robyn' comes from my very beautiful grandaughter age almost 3 and I just added the hood. Funnily enough tho the area we live in is called Whitby. I too had a look at your beautiful B&B. It looks like its a very hardworking way of life but I will bet its lovely living in such a lovely part of the world. I have only been to Loch Lomond but I loved it. Dont be doing too much. Be sure to rest inbetween. Good Luck at your appointment x
 
Hilary - You have been one of my inspirations during this post BTKR journey. I love your sense of humor and transparency. You are a couple of weeks ahead of me on this journey, and you seem to be progressing amazingly well. Thanks for sharing with us.

I saved your B&B in my favorites. Scotland is the one place I have wanted to visit for years, but we have not had the opportunity to make that trip yet. I've been told that my ancestors on my father's side were from Scotland. The last name here in the US is McDaris. I have no idea what it might have been originally. My sister and I have done a little research but haven't been able to determine if what we've been told is accurate.

Keep up the great posts and awesome progress!

Pat (TNSquirrel)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom