Hi I'm new here but I brought brownies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mamarey oh Suzanne, that's awful about your dad! I'm glad that he's still alive and ambulatory :) He should be great support for you in your journey :)
 
Oh zauberflöte I know all about dementia and drinking, my mum would have 'just one drink' in the evening but she'd forget and end up having 'just one drink' 4 or 5 times a night. She would then fall over and not be able to get up, we lived about 200 miles away at the the time and so the ambulance had to be called to get her off the floor! Luckily she never badly hurt herself but it got to the point that I had to persuade her to move and live in our village where I could be closer to her and monitor her 'just one drink'!! I hope that MIL op goes ok and she fighting fit again really soon. Janet x
 
I get my stubbornness from him! He and my Mother drove to NYC for my Nephews wedding, because my Mother does not like to fly. Eegads, a twelve hour drive, and this was before he had his surgery and was in a neckbrace. He is now 86 and still works full time. I come from stubborn stock, so it is so difficult for me to stop the whole exercise thing. It no longer brings pleasure, but it is good for my mind.
 
Mamarey wowie zowie, I can see where you get it from! :) Geez, and i thought I was stubborn! I miss my treadmill fiercely sometimes, I may have to call OS and ask him about potential damage vs loss of aerobic conditioning....
Littlejem thanks for asking-- she came through fine and last I heard she was in recovery waiting to be sent either to ICU or a "monitored room". Worrying not over yet, tho, I'm a professional worrier...LOL I will have to worry her out of the hospital....
 
@zauberflote...how is your Mother-in-Law today? Hope you got a good nights rest.
 
Mamarey thank you for asking :) She came back to her room about 9:30 last night, today is "as well as can be expected". her heart rhythm returned to normal, she has some back pain which may be from the fall or her tense position in the bed, but slept well after 2:00am yay! Family is all around today too. How are you coming with list-making and practising relaxing? :)
westsea I've used a regular pillow between my legs when side-sleeping for years, not for arthritic pain but for pressure points on my inner knees. A couple weeks ago I bought a king size pillow from Amazon, made by AllerEase, and I LOVE IT!!!!! I'm tall, and this pillow is long enough that i can straighten my legs out and still have pillow from crotch to ankle. it's quite fluffy, too.
 
@zauberflote (darn it gave me umlaut choice before but its gone again). I think I will get a long pillow (5'10" here). The ones I have now don't go to the feet and 2 pillows just slip and slide. Precarious. Amazon has been my friend lately. Thank you for the suggestion! Glad MIL is better today.

Also about the blood thinners, they had me take Xeralto but filled the prescription through the hospital when I was discharged, because "its expensive and lots of insurance doesn't want to cover it". I think the copay was around $55.00. I'm assuming that's all I will have to pay but time will tell. One pill a day for 21 days and no blood tests.
 
I am 5'3" and got two king size pillows from Costco about a month ago. I love them. My regular size pillows always shifted around and it hurt so much trying to hunt them down under the covers in the middle of the night.
They definitely help take some pressure off the leg
 
westsea I don't think it will make a difference where my Xarelto is filled.... it will cost me market price if my Optima doesn't like it....sigh. OS office said "probably aspirin" if I'm not covered for Xarelto. Well why on earth, if aspirin is a good substitute, would they not just use aspirin to start with??? Pray tell??
sqwerlie not sure yet-- what with his mother and all. But if we go it will be (in May) for as close to 2 weeks as we can get it, hopefully driving back before I have to stop the ibuprofen....cos I can't drive 70 mph on tramadol LOL :rolleyes:
Mamarey Again, I'm nowhere in your pain league, but yes, I go through so many contortions re-finding that pillow pain-free(ish) that usually I wake myself totally up. sigh.
 
My Xarelto and Celebrex will also be filled at the hospital, because patients were having so many issues getting their prescriptions after release from the hospital.
 
@zauberflote...how is your Mom doing???
Thank you for all your encouraging words...you always make me smile :)
 
Mamarey thank you for asking, and for your kind words! :) It's my mother-in-law actually, but same difference. The doctors are saying she's coming along very well, and will be released tomorrow. OTOH, in reality, she is as weak as a worm, and probably going to get depressed. She has COPD so i imagine she's not clearing the anaesthesia out very quickly, and I don't know what they're giving her for pain, but it makes her very dopey. I don't think she's been out of the bed yet. 2 daughters found a nursing home for her, where if all goes well she can stay until she no longer needs 2 people to help her to the toilet. She still has 24/7 extra care from the same service that has been doing it in her home since a small stroke last summer. She's tough, but if she gets depressed, or, horrors, picks up a virus, that will be bad. All these things happened 7 yrs ago with the other hip....but she got through it, and her mother lived to 95, so I'm thinking she will beat this! :)
 
Meant to say mother-in-law...hey, I was tired. My Mother also has COPD, and it takes so much out of her. Infection is always a scary thing for the elderly. Glad she has a good care team set up
 
Mamarey thanks for your caring! it's a circus here... she didnot get discharged, and may be tomorrow, to a local nursing home for rehab. Paperwork, don'tcha know. M-i-l probably doesn't remember that she used to be able to breathe... but she hasn't had a ciggie for 6 days now, perhaps her breathing is a little better :)
 
zauberflöte Maybe she'll forget she she used to smoke!!! It's good that they're not sending her out before she's able to cope, will she be at the nursing home for long?
 
Littlejem :) the other hip was broken 7 yrs ago, she was gone from home for a month, and we hoped to have her quit smoking.....that alsted till my son, bless his pointy little head, couold not resist his Granny's pleas, and went out and bought her some. This time, she has history of us trying to limit the, so she will remember loud abd clear that she wants one. ah well... she's 89, and they really are her only solace. Can't hear, can hardly see the tv, can't get around, let's smoke! At least the cat doesn't mind :)
 
Kids eh, don't ya just love them!! Yeah at that age what real extra harm will it do her!! :)
 
Dear Diary,
Today I changed my signature so I can start counting down the weeks till I get my new hip and am on the recovery road!! :):happydance:
Last week, Dear Diary, I went to Joint Class!! it was lots of fun!! My husband fell asleep:zzz: more than once!! he embarrassed me cos he was the only spouse/helper who fell asleep!! He said he usually doesn't fall asleep at morning meetings. He says he was really looking for advice on "the care and feeding of wives who have had new hips put in". I say, bad hubby, no brownies!!
I even told the knee lady next to me about here!!
The OR nurse who led the class reminded me SO much of Josephine ! Gentle humo(u)r, a flair for the comic, loved teaching us, 44 years experience, wrote down all our names and dates and will visit us pre-op if she's at work that day. Her name even starts with "J"!! We will call her "J-J".
Favorite toy they let us play with: a real new hip ball and cup. I twirled the ball in the cup and watched it behave like it was friction-less! That was fun!!
Favorite quote, re pain management: "The pill bottle [mimes looking at label] says, take 1-2 every 4-6 hours. Ok, J-J sees, take 2 every 4 hours or maybe a leeeetle less!"[Big Grin].
SEcond most favorite quote, re the antibacterial wash that was handed out for 'the last shower": "As we used to say, wash down as far as possible[mimes upper body], wash up as far as possible[mimes washing from feet upwards] but don't wash Possible!"[Big Grin]
Third fave quote!: "That last week when you have to give up your ibuprofen, and you say, oh that doesn't matter, ibuprofen doesn't do squat for me anyway? Well, about 12 hours after your last dose, you're going to find out exactly how much squat it did!"{Big Grin]
And to make it all perfect, she sounded just like Dolly Parton!!! You only need to listen for the first minute here to get the flavor.

So, Dear Diary, finally I feel like I'm on the way! Hooraaaay!!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom