Hi, almost 30 and waiting for a Hip Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries jojo, I can do a merge if needed.

Ask the staff at your pre-op what approach your surgeon uses. They will have worked with him and will know his methods of working. If they can't tell you call your surgeon's medical secretary. She will know.

In the end though it really doesn't matter. The surgery has the same goal no matter the approach - get rid of hip pain and the diseased joint and replace it with a shiny new hip.
 
I presumed I would need a wheelchair if we were to go shopping etc, as I would not be able to walk much of a distance?
Of course not! But that's why you were given this link which tells you the Activity progression for THR. In there you will see that it is better for you to avoid trips out to the shops for the first 6-8 weeks (depending upon restrictions given you by the surgeon). Apart from that you will have a serious Energy Drain for THRs and won't really want to do much gadding about!

The screw is a standard AO lag screw with a washer/nut on the outer end. Interesting and thank you for the image.
 
i asked my doc to save the remains of my screws for me for souvenirs,
but i didn't ever get them from him.
i had 2 pins in each hip as a kid. new xrays show how he had to
excavate the head ends out of the side of my femurs!
 
My littles ones are 6 and allmost 3, I am a carer usualy with lots of driving involved but am looking forward to getting back to work and not having to deal with the constant pain im in at the moment. Your recovery is amazing :) Did you do anything special for the quicker recovery?

I really didn't... Just followed what the others have said here. Pain meds, Ice and elevate. That and my kids/work needing me gave me a huge amount of motivation and desire to get up and moving on to a pain free life :) You will do great too!

As far as distances after the surgery, you will know what you are able to do pretty quickly. Everyone is so different. Like I said I was walking without aid fairly early on, but a lot of that was due to the weather conditions here in Idaho. It is snowy, icy and COLD!! So I found it much easier to just walk alone rather than trying to maneuver a walker or crutches, but that's just me. I wouldn't think that you will need one at all.

Best of luck to you!
 
cnydutch I also asked for mine, they had been in from childhood, but it turns out he couldn't get them out without breaking the femur. So he banged the stem down behind them. Wonder what else I can get in there?

Welcome jojouk1983 ..... there are a lot of great stories here about complicated cases. With a little help (well, quite a lot actually because you have young children) from that good looking husband, you will do just fine. Your children will actually enjoy helping you now and then and it will be a great life lesson in compassion!
 
I had three scars -- one particularly ugly. My OS went in through the worst and did a great 'plastics' job. You might ask your OS what he will do. But it doesn't matter in the end. In the olden days, when no-one had hip replacements, I got a lot of staring at the beach. My dad said they were wondering what exciting incident had occurred in my life.. I was a gullible as a child. Today no-one cares or they say: "So when did you get your new hip?"
 
Actually, it is a requirement that surgeons see their patients in the holding bay or pre-op prior to surgery because they have to get your consent form signed and mark your leg.
 
Well, I merged your three threads but now the posts are all mixed up! Sorry!!

As for that scar, can't say I've ever seen a horizontal incision like that before! But I doubt it will pose too much of a problem for the surgeon. There are plenty of alternative approaches. My feeling is he will probably do a full posterior - what's sometimes called a 'Southern' approach (owing to it have been devised by a surgeon from the Southern states of the USA!). You can see others here THR approaches or incisions.
 
Thanks for mergin the posts :) Doesnt matter they are mixed up.

Does anyone else suffer with back pain? I get bad back ache above the bad hip low in my back is that to do wtih the bad hip? will this go when ive had the replacement? I do have two slipped disks but no one has ever explored that area with me.... Thanks
 
I would imagine that a lot of us do due to our bodies' efforts to compensate for a diseased hip. Before I opted for THR I saw a physio who was adamant that all my hip pain was linked to the pelvis. I did loads of useless exercises for both, which didn't help. Of course it turned out to be the other way around. I don't know who could really answer your question specifically because your body will have a lot of adjusting to do post-surgery as it gets used to your new posture and gait. Hopefully, when you start walking properly, the pressure on your back will ease. If it doesn't change in time, you can address that specific issue.
 
Thanks Vida :)

Got a letter today with an appointment to see my surgeon on the 18th Feb which im pleased about as he can answer my scar questions etc...

4 weeks today the countdown has begun! one more day at work then 6 days off want to get organised and start preparing the house and moving some bits about, also have a hot tub weekend away for a few nights with some friends just before my op so i can realy relax before it all happens! We get back on the monday and op is on the tuesday.

It is going to be very strange not driving for such a long time and also the liying on my back but i dont car about any of that i just can not wait for this agonising pain to be gone. xx
 
OK ......re. lying on your back. Pillow between knees, pillow under knees and under heels. Heels get very sore when you lie on your back. I never, ever slept on my back before -- its absolutely doable, but much easier if you keep to a regular narcotics schedule and stay AHEAD of the pain. That last bit is the best advice I can offer. Do not try to come off painkillers too soon, use plenty of ice and remember, there is no rush to do anything around the house other than basic, prescribed exercise. Lastly, if you cry a lot, its completely normal!
 
Jo, you will be fine and it will be soooo.... good to be pain free. You sound like you have a good battle plan in getting the house ready, make sure that things you know you will need are at waist level, makes it easier and have ice packs ready to go. Then hopefully you can put up your legs and get some rest during your recovery. Vida is so right, energy drain and the blues are so common, but you can use this formu to vent, cry and just have support.
 
Thank you for all your wonderfull advice everyone, I am very glad to find somewhere where people are going through the same, i allways felt very alone but it doesnt feel like that any more :) Thanks x
 
Hi Jo,
I have backaches, thigh aches, knee aches, all from my bad hip. It's amazing how pain from one area can affect so much. I'm scheduled for a RTHR on Feb. 26 and can't wait. I was worried about the surgery at first, but as the date draws near, I'm calm and ready. I know the post surgical pain is worth it to get rid of the gnawing grinding pain. I wish I had done this 6 months earlier, but no looking back, just anticipating the healing. Wishing you good luck and much healing in the future.
 
Hi Susan, fingers crossed the pain i have in other areas eases up after the op! Im having such a bad day today :( I could cry! ive hardly done anything at all and the pain is immense. What pain killers do people use at the moment? i mix between tramadol and naproxen sometimes they help and sometimes they dont. feeling very down as its my weekend off and i cant do anything with the kids. hope everyone else is ok xx
 
Sorry not sure how to Tag someone on here but Josephine, I noticed a comment you made on another post about being fit to return to work, I work for a Home Care agency I have a lot of bending, walking, driving etc on a daily basis in your opinion how long will i not be fit for work? obviously i know everyone has a different recovery rate but is there a minimum or anything? any guidance would be great thanks x
 
Yes, I would still recommend the 12 weeks absence and the Phased return to work as a base line. As an occupational health nurse, I apply it to almost everyone but especially of they have a physical job like yours.
 
Yes, I would still recommend the 12 weeks absence and the Phased return to work as a base line. As an occupational health nurse, I apply it to almost everyone but especially of they have a physical job like yours.
Thanks for that, is this standard accross the uk? and is it my surgeon who makes this decision? or do I see someone like yourself who assess me? Thanks Jo x
 
Any tips on what to pack in my hospital bag? My equipment is being delieverd on Sunday and ive sterted moving things about to make my life easier when im home. hope everyone is ok xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom