THR Hessian stops cycling to have some Stryker installed (RTHR)

a little more than 48 hours out of the OR - hoping the peristalsis fairy visits soon downstairs , haven't taken any oxy yet, pain has not been so severe I've felt the need, but definitely nervous about that first (hopefully impending) movement (of the bowels).

The swelling is pretty insane - I was a little distraught seeing my hip in the mirror I won't lie, but I know all that will slowly go away. I had an emotional moment too where I had a little cry over how thankful I am for the help of my partner. She's been so amazing and I know all this is a lot on her.

Tired and sore but less tired and less sore than yesterday!
 
Totally different sport here that has helped me tremendously in recovery-- middle of week 7. I was an avid snow skier for decades and rode horses. My quads and balance have been invaluable in PT and general stamina. Even though my hip was horribly arthritic and I ended up on a cane for a few weeks before surgery, my thigh strength remained (thank you pilates ring-- 125 reps 3x a week for over 20 years), and my recovery has been good-- up and down, but good overall. And now I'm able to sleep comfortably on both sides with a pillow between my legs and that's such a relief!
I’m going to start Pilates again on Tuesday. Going to do some privates which are taught by PT staff with Pilates certification and the focus is specifically geared to THR patients in recovery. I so agree with you. I’ve been a practitioner for over 35 years and it has done so much for my body. I’m sure there are quite a few things which I’ll never do again, like I can’t imagine a full hang or a jackknife, but there’s even more available than will be off limits. I’m fantasizing about the barrel and Wunda chair.
 
Hessian, hang in. I managed without oxy, never took after I left the hospital (stayed overnight), but I took some Senna and a few prunes and had success in about 36 hours. The swelling is nasty and the bruises will start to blossom soon but it will likely begin subsiding in around two weeks. Ice, elevate and rest. Watch Netflix and eat healthy. Be sure to hydrate. I rented a Nice1 ice and compression machine that was not cheap but a definite game changer. I ordered thru The Recovery Shop, they are based in Connecticut and will send via Fed Ex. You fill it with water once and that’s it until you return it. I kept it for 5 weeks and for the first 2, I used it 3x a day, 40 minutes each including at night before I went to sleep. No changing out ice, ever.
Let me know if you want sleep tips. Once you can maneuver to non operated side, it’s better. Get a big body pillow and a smaller pillow for between your legs for at least the first couple of weeks.
 
The swelling is pretty insane - I was a little distraught seeing my hip in the mirror
It is startling, isn't it? After my THR, my leg continued to swell for almost a week. Then the bruising peaked. My leg looked like it belonged to the Incredible Hulk.

I had my THR before I found BoneSmart, so didn't have the information to know it was normal. It scared me so much, I went to the hospital to be scanned for a clot. Of course, it turned out to be normal!

Hang in there, it will pass -- although it get worse before it gets better. :console2:
 
@Hessian I clung to my husband like a baby that first week, crying and apologizing for everything he had to do for me. No apologies were necessary-- times like these can bring out the very best in our partners. I have to remember this the next time I want to complain about something minor that he did... As for the BMs-- my friend is a colorectal surgeon and she always says to take 3 colace (not the colace/laxative-- just plain colace) per day and 1 dose of Miralax until you get a BM. I get this issue each time I have surgery or a procedure and I swear it works in 24 hours. The leg swelling for me maxed at about 1 week and then started going down, but at 7 weeks I still have a little in the ankle and knee at the end of the day. It's gone by morning. I slept on my Lounge Doctor every night for several weeks and that big initial swelling went down by about 80% each night. Of course it returned the next day for several days, but it seemed less each time. This is the hardest part of recovery right now. Get past this week and you'll see improvements physically and mentally each week thereafter.
 
Happy weekend to all!

A little more than 72 hours out of the OR and ... feeling a little improved today so far! I spent only 10-15 mins total taking slow steps around the house yesterday broken up into 3 sessions.

Goal today is to increase that to at least 20 mins total in 4 sessions. 5 * 5 mins if I am feeling good !

Another goal for the day - have some coffee and take a closely supervised shower.

Wishing everyone well - thank you for your stories and advice and kind words.

If you see the peristalsis fairy please send him my way.
 
I see you mentioned swelling, have you been icing? Shower tip is to not pivot on the operated leg, recipe for dislocation.
 
Good luck with your recovery and we’ll send the poop fairy your way if we see her. Hope you can spend some good recovery hours in the recliner watching Tour de France in a couple weeks! And get back on your own bike soon when the time is right…
 
Reporting in at 5+ 24 hour periods out of the OR.

Inflammation - wow, it's there, but it's also maybe gotten a little better in past 24h? idk

did some practice with a cane today, I find it much easier to move around slowly with the cane than the walker

shower #2 done and much easier than the first.

can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!
 
Sounds like you're doing well. Yay for showers!

As long as you're able to walk without limping, the cane is fine. It's important that knees, pelvis, and shoulders can stay level so the structure heals well.

I hope you're continuing to put your ice machine to good use! It was my faithful companion through my knee surgeries, week after week!
 
One week post op tomorrow...already!
You're doing well! Remember heel-toe walking if you notice you're limping at all with the cane.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, and feels foreign to many, at least it was for me. Give it a try.
Best Wishes as you begin the healing journey!
@Hessian
 
One week post op tomorrow...already!
You're doing well! Remember heel-toe walking if you notice you're limping at all with the cane.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, and feels foreign to many, at least it was for me. Give it a try.
Best Wishes as you begin the healing journey!
@Hessian
Thank you! I am walking pretty slowly as I have to be very intentional to properly heel-toe walk, but the practice is great.

polar machine + cold pad has been fantastic - run that sucker all night, sometimes changes bottles on one of the later of my all-too-numerous bathroom trips (at least twice a night for urination, ugh, hoping that normalizes in due time).
 
1 week out - still so inflamed and stiff / sore ! Pain is better every day but hoping to turn corner soon regarding inflammation. Spent most of day on couch with elevation and ice.
 
Idk if you get get one but I had a GameReady compression/ice system for the first 3 weeks and it was pretty great.
 
Idk if you get get one but I had a GameReady compression/ice system for the first 3 weeks and it was pretty great.
had to google this, nice setup! I have a similar thing made by Polar that is not quite so kitted out, but works great none the less. use it overnight and regularly during day.
 
IDK what the proper technique is for counting - if the day after OP day is day 1 then I am on day 9!

In any case - every day is a little progress!

Swelling a touch better but man - my whole leg itches, itchy itchy itchy, I am assuming this is from inflammation and whatever cellular recovery processes, I think at one point in the early days I swelled so bad I might have gotten a stretch mark despite the frequent icing and elevation etc.

Took the cane and dearest wife all the way down the hallway, into elevator, to our building lobby, and just outside the front door for the first bits of fresh air and a moment of sunshine in like 10 days.

This single moment will definitely have me grinning goofy for the rest of the day - it was just so pleasant!

Re: complaints - muscle soreness - my right quad particularly the "outside" portion, what I would associate with the "vastus lateralis" on a diagram, down low near my knee, is particularly upset.

Is it ok to gently use a massage gun on this? would that help at all w/ circulation recovery etc?
 
Last edited:
I am using one gently on mine now, but I didn't try it that early on in my recovery. If you do, be very gentle. In my case, it feels good on the muscle but there are some areas that don't like it, primarily along the nerve and up near the incision. I love my massage gun.

Is it ok to gently use a massage gun on this? would that help at all w/ circulation recovery etc?
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom