THR Hessian stops cycling to have some Stryker installed (RTHR)

oh yea I am not thinking about using it anywhere near the incision, just in the area that is tender near the knee. was able to gently use it last night, didn't seem to agitate it at all
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hessian stops cycling to have some Stryker installed (RTHR)
Looks like my resting heart rate is starting to possibly trend back down towards what was my average while “fit” (used in a relative sense) right before surgery on the vertical line 5/29
 
That’s a very good question. I had to take aspirin daily for 6 weeks and I didn’t use it because even at the lowest setting, it’s intense and I was afraid I would bruise even more by bringing blood up to the surface. My quad and outer upper leg was also swollen and tender to the touch but everything started to turn around at the two week mark. I just relied on ice machine, gentle massage by PT, elevation and Tylenol. I don’t have an answer on itching but Curel makes an anti itch lotion that might be worth trying. Or calamine spray. But steer clear of the incision.
BTW, 7 weeks out and I did 60 minutes on my spin bike today. May try a very short standing jog towards end of next week to test the new parts. My PT keeps telling me to trust the hip. Not so easy!
 
IDK what the proper technique is for counting - if the day after OP day is day 1 then I am on day 9!
You are correct! This is day nine post op.
Icing may help when the itching feels intolerable. :fingersx:

Is it ok to gently use a massage gun on this? would that help at all w/ circulation recovery etc
I am not sure about using a massage gun near surgically traumatized tissue, they seem to be mostly for sore muscles after sports activities. Please check with your surgeon and PT before attempting to use a massage gun on your op leg at this point in time. Better safe than sorry.

I hope you have a nice weekend, Hessian!
 
I wouldn't recommend a massage gun on the thighs this soon; they are percussive and the quads have been traumatized and aren't yet fully healed or activated.
 
Funny story... like Hessian, many hard core cyclists have low resting heart rates. Back in the day when I was racing and riding thousands of miles per year mine was ~45-47 BPM, drifting down to 40ish when relaxed and lying down. I had a digestive issue once when out of town and went to the ER and they had me lying down on a table on a continuous monitor and it kept alarming for low heart rate. The nurse came running in ready to break out the paddles or call a code. After several times I convinced her that this was normal and she turned it off.


IMG_2634.jpeg
Looks like my resting heart rate is starting to possibly trend back down towards what was my average while “fit” (used in a relative sense) right before surgery on the vertical line 5/29
 
Day 11 - everything is nice until I sit at the desk for too long or stand at the stove for too long and suddenly I’ll notice grapefruit knee and sausage toes.

The inflammation really does travel around a lot!
 
Yes it does!!!

I hope you are spending lots of time elevating and icing!
 
Day 12 - I was supposed to take off my aquacel bandage 2 days ago but this sucker is WELDED on.

I got the edges removed , it’s clear my skin hated this a lot because I have some contact dermatitis in a perfect bandage shape. The “middle” that resembles banadage from the outside is all that remains, trimmed edges with scissor carefully

I have 2 week check up in 2 days - worst case scenario I just wait to ask them to help me get the rest off?

distressed, it took me 90 minute just to get this far along with a fair amount of crying. It’s so stuck and my skin is so angry :(
 
Oh no, I'm sorry!!!!

You might call them in the morning and let them know you cannot safely remove it yourself, and that you seem to have a rash from it. They will likely tell you to hang on til your visit, but let them be the ones to tell you.
 
My nurse said to treat it like Saran Wrap- pull out to get it to release do not pull up. Also to go slowly. Good luck with it!
 
My nurse said to treat it like Saran Wrap- pull out to get it to release do not pull up. Also to go slowly. Good luck with it!
yep, been using the approved "hand on center, gently pull it at the edges" technique but it's just stuck. hope to make more progress today
 
Wondering if slowly / gently rolling it will help?
I had the same reaction, bright red, large, rectangular bandage mark. Ugh!
So sorry you struggled as you did, sounds miserable. What a relief you feel when it's finally off! :yahoo:
Best Wishes for your post op tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
@Hessian
 
2 week checkup w/ OS's PA is done!

I managed to get the aquacel trimmed down to basically only the part immediately over the incision, which still felt stuckish to me, but he took a look and ripped it right off no hesitancy or pain.

No restrictions (in general) - between now and my next appointment in 4 weeks (6 weeks post op) don't scrub incision and no submerging (no bath, pool etc)

Doing well today! Was able to spend almost the whole day at the desk, swelling seems to finally be starting to finally not be so insane 24/7, yay!

Told PT optional but wouldn't hurt, so I will try a few sessions (he said 2x a weekshould be more than sufficient).
 
Last edited:
Day 17 - wondering if I am in the ODIC - haven't really taken a ton of steps but my hamstring or whatever muscle seems to be back of thigh on inside is IRATE.
 
Interesting, I had zero issues with hamstrings nor did I have significant swelling. I did have a good bit of soreness in my outer quads and more in the flexors. Flexors and maybe the joint capsule still have some healing and recovery to do, but don't hamper my dailies, walking or cycling. Crazy how variable all our recoveries seem to be.
 
Day 17 - wondering if I am in the ODIC - haven't really taken a ton of steps but my hamstring or whatever muscle seems to be back of thigh on inside is IRATE.
As I recovered, my soreness would move around my upper leg. Usually it was in my thigh, and often it was in my groin. But sometimes the back of my leg would get sore during a walk. I figured maybe it was from walking with an uneven gait, or maybe different muscles were activating, or maybe the swelling was moving around my leg.
 
@Hessian
I'm more familiar with knees than with hips. However the migrating postop pain seems to be common with all joint replacement, especially these weight bearing ones.

It's likely that as your hip got worse your structure started (mal)adjusting subtly - some muscles, tendons, ligaments stretching and getting lax while counterparts tighten and contract. Even bones get skewed if this goes on long enough.

All at once in OR everything is reset... So on top of healing from surgery, our structure has to re-adapt.

Oh! And are you wearing old shoes with an uneven wear pattern? We strongly recommend NEW SHOES after a weight bearing joint replacement!
 
@Hessian
I'm more familiar with knees than with hips. However the migrating postop pain seems to be common with all joint replacement, especially these weight bearing ones.

It's likely that as your hip got worse your structure started (mal)adjusting subtly - some muscles, tendons, ligaments stretching and getting lax while counterparts tighten and contract. Even bones get skewed if this goes on long enough.

All at once in OR everything is reset... So on top of healing from surgery, our structure has to re-adapt.

Oh! And are you wearing old shoes with an uneven wear pattern? We strongly recommend NEW SHOES after a weight bearing joint replacement!
This all makes sense, and I wanted to say thanks for the shoe advice, I've actually seen either you or others post this advice and I have since donated my old pairs that were in good shape and recycled the gross ones. Two new pairs acquired and will get more in the Fall when I have to return to work.

Day 20 - woke up feeling surprisingly good! Decided to carpe diem and have my dear wife escort me out the building and to the fruit stand a block away at the corner. It was a slow and steady walk with my cane but I did not have any pain in the usual areas - I can tell my muscles are a little "sleepy" for lack of a better word, but that is to be expected since I have been fairly horizontal for nearly 3 weeks.

It felt really really great - will keep riding this high through the rest of the day and if I end up not paying for it dearly later on my new goal will be repeating this activity daily!

My PT is approx 1 block further than the fruit stand, I have yet to go that full distance as today was a test to see how my stamina is doing, that said I feel confident I could easily make it that extra block. Returning home after a session might be a different story haha.

Wishing everyone well !
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom