THR Herman's Debut! Jill's Recovery :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jillie422 - I am so happy for you. Your post takes so much fear out of me for next Monday. You sound great. Can't wait to hear more about your experience. Have a great night!!!

@Wildwood14 I don't think that anyone could be any more afraid then I was before surgery, I had so much pain when I broke my hip/femur, it was horrible I was afraid it was going to be as painful as that... It was nothing like that, I would go through it again in a heartbeat...
 
Joint Boot Camp. Nope, not going to be the Star. Just want to walk without a limp and with a normal gait. I hear it really hurts. Great. Haven't needed the big gun meds yet, but know I can ask....and I know I'll need them after Camp. Pray for me. I'm more worried about this than the surgery!! Oh and the way they do the anesthesia here is amazing. Gotta say, I've never had such incredible medical care from both my OS team and this tiny, little, 50 bed, mountain hospital!

Nite Y'all! :sleep::zzz::yawn:
 
Joint camp should not hurt! Please do not let anyone push you. Take meds if you need them but extra meds for any PT means you are listening the the wrong message. Your hip will tell you when you have gone too far - not PT.
 
For Sure @Jaycey ...I won't do anything that aggravates! Just want to learn my Herman stuff and go home when Dr D says ok.

Dr D (Darling!) was in bright and early this morning....said that he is very pleased with Herman! Said that Herman got very good fit and support. Also said that tip of ball was completely gone...just rattling around in what was left of the socket. Much worse that xrays taken several weeks ago. Told him ZERO PreOp OA pain!

Nurses here are awesome. I discussed my pain mgmt for last evening, night and this morning with both my night and day nurse and it worked out perfectly. Just IV Toradol every 6 hours with low dose Percocet every 3 hours. Higher meds are available for the asking! I'm thrilled with the professionalism, knowledge and experience of My Complete Herman Adventure!

My OS is the only one in our county of 201,000 people!! And this little mountain hospital has only 50 beds! So happy that I stuck with my gut and came here. People tried to convince me to go to Atlanta, Asheville or Chattanooga, all about 100 miles away. I know I wouldn't have gotten any better care in a large facility. Plus, this place gets much better infection ratings!...my main concern. Sometimes Smaller Is Better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Jill (and Herman!) So glad to hear you two are getting along well! And....that the care at your hospital is to your satisfaction. Am looking forward to your post AFTER boot camp! Any idea when you will be going home? Hope you continue to be pain free. xxoo
 
All wonderful news - very happy you are in love with your hospital, staff and OS. Doesn't that make all the difference?! :angel: Isn't it great when the pain is gone :badspidy:
 
PT was easy on me, exercise-wise. Mostly table exercises that I think most of us in camp did fine with. Nothing over the top.

But here's something... @Josephine , @Jaycey ... I have only been out of bed twice for short, but more extended times than just to the bathroom & back, since surgery yesterday. This morning I brushed my teeth and did a bird bath. Then suddenly I had to lay down bc I was nauseous, somewhat dizzy and not feeling like I would vomit, but more that feeling of passing out. Nurse gave me Zofran. Plenty of time for that to work before PT. We did the table exercises first, no problem. Then during the stair practices, began to have same symptoms as earlier only more intense. Got back to my bed in time, feel better with laying down for a few minutes. Any ideas? Had regional anesthesia, had breakfast, been drinking plenty of water... ?
 
Could be a combination of pain meds, fluctuations in BP, reaction to anaesthetic - the list is a long one. It is not unusual for patients to feel light headed just post op. Just move very slowly and be sure and let staff know when you have symptoms. This should ease fairly quickly.

BTW - are you taking any blood thinning medication?
 
Hang in there missy! I've read many recovery threads where members have experienced the same symptoms you describe. You and Herman get some rest now and do take those pain meds to keep Herman quiet! Hugs!!!! :friends:
 
@Jillie422 -
Then suddenly I had to lay down bc I was nauseous, somewhat dizzy and not feeling like I would vomit, but more that feeling of passing out.

I am so, so fearful of this. I had surgery many years ago on my hip and experienced this same sensation. The vivid, unpleasant memory is packed away in my box of "why I don't like hospitals/medical doings." I fell from fainting or whatever the correct term would be. I don't know what caused it exactly, but I am sensitive to medications and don't want to be over or under medicated.

Please do be careful. I asked if my facility uses gait belts. I almost wish there was a track along the ceiling and a cable dropped down that hooked into a belt or something. I need to feel like they are going to be there for me and be able to react, unlike my experience before. I could really use a positive experience to replace what I have previously encountered. I am going to take the advice here and ask for anti-nausea meds to see if that helps. What I really need is "anti-vapor" meds, because it's more a sensation of being lightheaded and about to check out against your will. I don't know for me how much is physical and how much is emotional, but the goal this time is to stay vertical.

My heart goes out to you Jillie because it is unsettling to say the least. One minute you are fine and the next minute not so much, and there isn't a lot of time and mobility to process what you are feeling and then adjust and deal with it. I hope it goes away and doesn't return.

Thank you for being honest and allowing me to be honest.
 
@Jillie422 just caught up on your thread. Had some plumbing issues the last couple days (mine and the house). Glad both you and Herman are doing well.

I got really nauseous the very first time up, 5 hours after surgery. I think a big part of mine was low BP and a tendency towards holding my breath. I had a really small (but very good) PT in the hospital. I felt like there was no way she could have stopped me if I started to fall, but we both managed just fine. She did use the gait belt. It was much easier the 2nd time up 4 hours later on the middle of the night excursion to the bathroom.

Hope you continue to do well and get home soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom