TKR Here she comes just a walkin' down the street

I can hardly believe it, but it's time for the six-week update. I've just started a two week trip to the mainland. I took the ferry over on Sunday, then drove for about three hours. Yesterday I drove the rest of the way, to Ann Arbor. The friend I share a house with, who also was my wonderful ice supplier the first few weeks of this experience, is going on a two-week trip to Yosemite with another friend. He doesn't drive, so I brought him this far, where he got picked up today, and now I'm hanging out here for two weeks until he gets back. I was able to get a really good rate on a hotel with a pool, plus I have relatives in Ann Arbor, plus I have a lot of music lined up I'm going to hear in the evenings. My folks are well provided for back home with people we hired to care for them. Two weeks with no responsibilities and a swimming pool! This is going to be fun.

The two days of driving went quite well. I no longer have any deep aching pain. The pain manifests itself only in stiffness and tightness. By the end of each of the two driving days, I was quite ready to lie down in the hotel room with ice and my foam cushion, which goes everywhere with me, but was not what I would call completely wiped out either. It's sort of like you don't feel all that tired until you're lying down, but then you realize that this is the only place where you want to be.

It felt so good to get in the swimming pool today for the first time! I limited myself to a half hour, 20 minutes of slow, careful water walking and 10 of various water exercises. Then I rested for several hours, then drove one hour to a club where I listened to jazz for three hours before driving back to the hotel. I don't feel any bad effects tonight so that seems to be a decent start. They also have a recumbent bike, so I'll start adding 15 minutes of that tomorrow as well. I'm hoping to add a second half hour of pool time in the afternoon in a day or two, since most if my days will be just resting.

At the six week mark, I still use a cane most of the time. Just walking around in my hotel room or around the house at home, I sometimes set out without the cane. I do think it's a bit too soon though, because I do limp a bit without the cane. I think at my weight, it still needs to do some more healing to take the stresses. So most of the time I remember the cane. My friend tells me that the biggest difference he sees when I'm walking with the cane is my walking posture. He says I walk straight now, I walk tall. And I walk with much more speed and confidence. I can feel that this is true. But I can also feel that I'm not quite all there yet, and hope the pool helps in working on my gait.

I often forget about tylanol during the day, but still take two in the morning and two pm at night. Still have severe scar sensitivity particularly at night, where anything touching the scar is painful. Still ice but not nearly as often. I bought two ice packs with screw off tops to use in the hotel, as they are easier than the machine, and the gel wraps aren't useful here without a freezer. I put one of the screw top packs above the knee and one below. I'm putting in a picture of my hotel cushion and ice set up (I do turn the one that goes under my knee upside down, that plastic top wouldn't keep it very cold!).

And that's a wrap at six weeks! Oh, my right knee is still doing better than before the left knee replacement. I know some have had the opposite experience with the non replaced knee. My theory is that I'm still resting the knees so much more than before the operation, that the right leg still is getting a bit of a pass. It might hurt more again when I get more active in a few more weeks.

Just edited this to add the left butt/hip pain lingers, I ice and stretch it and that does help. Mainly I have to focus on walking correctly to minimize the pain. It's not debilitating but more an irritant.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Here she comes just a walkin' down the street
    image.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried it yet, but I should. I'm right next to a big meijers store, so that'll be a good shopping project for tomorrow, thanks @Pumpkln .
 
Amazing progress. Driving for 3 hours at 6 weeks is unimaginable to me. And basically no pain?
Wow! Sounds like a nice little vacay for you.
Enjoy.
 
I am amazed at all you do, especially going out to the jazz club. I was pretty much still a hermit at six weeks. You are fantastic!
 
Great report! If you want to desentisize your scar, my OS and PT both suggested I take a rough terry-cloth kitchen towel and very very gently rub the surface of the scar and entire knee area over a period of weeks until it no longer bothered me. I use my deep-breathing technique, which helps with the pain of touching it: slowly inhale and, while strongly exhaling, gently rub the surface; repeat a few times. Remember to only rub across the surface of your scar and skin, don't push down; you're desensitizing the surface nerve endings.
 
@TML do you just sort of let the edge of the towel drift back and forth over the top of the scar, or do you press down slightly? As in, exert just a little pressure with the towel? And thanks, I will try this!
 
Exert enough pressure that you touch the skin, so there will be a little pressure. You don't, however, want to massage the scar or skin. It really works!
 
@greatlakes

So happy to hear your good report! 6 weeks already? That seems mind-boggling to me! The pool sounds heavenly and I hope that you get to keep taking advantage of it! I like the picture of your set-up in the hotel too. You really are getting out and about. Just the thought of going anywhere that I don't know backwards and forwards makes me very anxious. I hope you have a great 2 weeks!

Jen
 
Enjoy your two weeks of vacation. I imagine Michigan is full of leaf color right now, your drive must have been beautiful!
 
Have a wonderful time. I think, at 6 weeks, you are doing well. I was able to do most things at 6 weeks with my left replacement (8/15), but I didn't like to be on my feet too long or walk too far as I would start to get sore and uncomfortable. I used grocery store scooters for shopping to avoid long periods of time on my feet. I think I could have driven the 3 hours you did.
 
Faithfully doing water exercises at least once a day, moved it up to 45 minutes, it feels really good. My knee still has tightness and stiffness, and I'm still working on loosening up the left hip, but the water exercise doesn't seem to be aggravating it at all after I get out of the pool. Another 10 days of pool time left!

But I'm posting not really about that, but to announce a breakthrough. Today I took my cousin and uncle out for a color drive. We stopped at a park by a river. My cousin suggested that we get out and walk over by the river to where they had some picnic benches. It was a walk of perhaps three city blocks. Eight weeks ago, I would've said "you guys go ahead I'll wait in the car." Such a walk would've been impossible. I wouldn't even have thought about it. Today I didn't think about it either, but in the opposite direction. I got out of the car with my cane, walked somewhat slowly and carefully still, but easily walked the three blocks. The knee doesn't hurt anymore! I can do things. This is just so life-changing. I did cry when I got back to my hotel by myself.

And after I cried, I got into my swimsuit and got in the pool. Still a lot of healing and strengthening to do. (And for anyone still in the first few weeks, don't even think about strengthening, just focus on healing!)
 
Enjoy your fall foliage trip, yes sounds like you are doing well. Probably feels great to get out. It's hard to be cooped up. I am a tad bit jelious as I would like nothing more than to be able to participate in a water exercise class. Have been taking them the past few yrs and enjoyed them so much and it was helpful for all my joints. But I'll have to wait a tad bit longer as I am working on wound healing. Well hope your enjoying nice weather and beautiful colors.
 
You'll get into the water soon, @zzevi . Heal, Zzevi's wound, heal! I'm just glad for you that they were able to come up with a course of action to deal with your wound.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom