THR Here I go again!

Morning all. I just woke up to find not only my leg and knee aching, now it my lower back across the top of my pelvic bone.

I had gone to sleep, however it was on my good side. I've been laying on my side when I first lay down and then move to my back because side sleeping would still be uncomfortable.

When I awoke on my side I knew I was in trouble. I then got on my back and popped a pain pill and went back to sleep to wake up with more aching, stiffness including lower back. Got Lucy outside for morning duty and poured first cup of coffee and now back in my lovely bed.

I'm not a wimp when it comes to pain, I'm just tired of it as we all are and it:censored: me off. (If this is wrong to say let me know, can't find a different word right now to express myself) I feel I did much better getting around with the stronger oxycodone with my first surgery. I have a high tolerates for muscle relaxers, pain meds. When others are unable to function with them I'm able to get up and go to work which is what I was doing. Take a tramadol and go to work, bam.

This time after surgery they expected me to get up and go to the bathroom with barely anything for pain and watch me cry out in pain, tears streaming down my face begging for something to take it away. I was told I wasn't "due" for my next 5mg oxycodone for another hour. They finally got the message right and kept it at bay, however they sent me home with the same 5mg oxycodone and expect me to take one, maybe two every four to six hours.

Now here I am set back.Grant it I did over do it, however now i have to up the oxycodone to get ahead of the pain which means I'll run out sooner now. I did call yesterday for a new script because I'm was going to run out today anyway taking just one 5mg every four hrs.

I'm venting my frustration I know but come on even though we are human together we are still different individuals. I find no motivation to get up if I know it hurts. If I've got to fight through pain I know is coming when I move knowing it could be addressed better it "you know what" me off. I'm going to express this when I go in tomorrow. Well it's time for my pills, thanks for listening my understanding fellow hippies.

You are A ok and this is where you want to vent. for the "stronger" vent words, we recommend using this :censored:
you can edit it above or most likely a moderator will later.

I am so sorry about your frustrations and pain! I found that the prescriptions were skinny this time, too. But I easily got refills. But it is so worrisome...!
Hopefully with your request you will get another refill and today!
The second week going into the third week is a frustrating time, isn't it? We feel a bit better or we feel stir crazy and do more, then have set backs.

It's not horrible but there is a distinct difference in how my pain was handled this time compared to 4 years ago.
Plus I can't take Tramadol this time around.
Resting in bed with your ice is where you need to be and I'm so sorry you are so frustrated, with good reason!:console2:

Absolutely @julesglass I understand and in fact WE all understand where you're at today. I've noticed, t his time around that when I'm aching and tired that my emotions are a little stronger. Sometimes this is how I know I am overdoing it, the hip isn't telling me, my emotions are!

I can't comprehend your OS not prescribing enough to get you through. But hopefully a refill will be processed immediately... I think they worry about bottles of unused pills laying around.
But still.. no excuse... so sorry, hon.

I put it up to the outbreak of oxycodone running on the streets. I am going to try to get more than a weeks worth on next script. The one coming to me will be only for a week, however it's better than nothing. It's all good even when it's not, even if I have to call every week! :sigh:

Good Morning,
I'm sorry you're struggling from overdoing it the other day. Hopefully you get the meds sorted soon.

In these early weeks, consider using the Activity Progression for THR as a rough guideline to stay on an even keel. It may be helpful in keeping you out of pain and consequently needing more narcotics, which it seems you're finding increased difficulty in obtaining.

I hope your pain eases soon and you're able to rest comfortably.
Best wishes for your appt tomorrow!
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
@julesglass

Thanks for the reminder of the activity outline @Layla. I reread it and I'm pretty much on target other than my set back early. I'm going to update myself weekly with it. It will give me a positive goal to work towards. I love this place!!!! I'm able to go from this :tantrum2: to this :happydance: without involving my support group here.

I have a feeling you're on target also. The thing is, The Activity Progression guidelines may help you pull in the reins if you notice you're really getting ahead of yourself. Some will excel, some will lag behind but if you use it to help you stay in the safe zone, most likely you'll continue to progress without having to scale back, or take a time out because you overdid it.
Oh, by the way...Happy Two Week Anniversary! :flwrysmile:
@julesglass

We aim to please :wink:

IMG_3915.JPG

@julesglass I ran into the same problem getting the correct amount of oxycodone in the early days. This time for my second surgery I contacted my Primary Doctor who knows me and is being totally helpful. Don’t think you need to only count on the OS for this.

That is a very good point! Especially if your PCP is familiar with you, like you've been with them for several years.
they know you better and can at least vouch for you. Our surgeons don't really know us all that well.

Bummer, @julesglass, so sorry to read about your pain and discomfort, and the hoops you're having to go through to get it controlled with sufficient medication. I think everyone on this forum, not to mention the public at large, would agree that the opioid crisis must be taken seriously. But to dole out tiny amounts to hip replacement patients in the early days of recovery seems absolutely crazy. I am sure this is all frustrating and upsetting, and you absolutely have the right--and the encouragement of all of us--to whine and protest on this forum to your heart's content. I am sure but for the profanity filter that the administrators have set up, a good portion of us would be "letting loose" with some pretty explicit language at times! I hope the pain meds you still have will work for you and by day's end you might be feeling a bit better, and that despite the hassle, you will get adequate refills to address your pain. You are right--when you are feeling that bad you have absolutely no incentive to move or get better, you are just stuck and miserable. Hang in there, two weeks down and every week, I hope, will bring some relief even if just an incremental gain. You can do this!

Morning. Unfortunately @ceezee even though my GP knows me well for past 5yrs plus she is not one that would prescribe opioids. When I have asked for it she firmly declined and I had to receive tramadol from my surgeon to get me to surgery. She was also very persistent that I start PT within weeks after surgery. I held her to believe I would do PT as she insisted just to get her not to continue her persistence. I have a good relationship with my GP and trust her judgement regularly, however regarding joint replacements I don't feel she has had alot of experience. Going for check up this afternoon, won't be back till evening. My Dad is still recovering from a fall however is on the mend so Mom is driving me to Ia. City. Dad is going to PT and chiropractor, the combination is helping alot. He is able to get himself out of bed now however Mom insist she be there with walker "just" in case. Take care everyone. I do apologize for the language in my post yesterday. :mute:

No need to apologize. Everyone has those moments in recovery - sometimes more than one. All the stress of waiting for surgery and prepping and nerves and then the surgery and recovery take a toll. Not enough pain meds does not help at all. I wish for those of us who have had previous surgeries they would check the records better and see that we did not abuse our drugs and stopped when recovered and just give us what we need. Some of it is not just the OS but new regulations as to how many opioids can be prescribed at one time. I understand the issue but do not understand how they expect someone post op to be able to deal with picking up prescriptions. In NY the best thing now is that all prescriptions pretty much have to be electronic between the doctor and the pharmacy which really saves the patient on having to go get a paper script or wait for mail. I am sorry you are having such a hard time getting the proper pain relief.

Even the most patient and cheerful person gets to the point where they had had enough, thank you very much!

This dance we do these days for opiate refills is demoralizing. Will the doctor agree to a refill? Will there be conditions, like a visit? Will the insurance company approve? Will the pharmacy have stock? Will I be able to jump through all the hoops in time to get the pills without missing any? It makes things harder, not easier.

The only way I have found to manage all this is to start asking early, so I allow an extra day or two for delays beyond the doctor’s request (mine says 48 hours). And, I try to deal with “the system” when I am feeling pretty good - after I’ve eaten and dressed and medicated, because it does take an extra dose of patience.

What a struggle you're having, @julesglass. It's hard enough to be recovering from hip replacement surgery but also to deal with convincing the medical community that, no, we're not raving drug addicts and just need some realistic SHORT TERM help with the healing process. I feel fortunate that I've not experienced any problems with my medication (had leftover oxy and Tramadol still from hip #1) but one feels so vulnerable during recovery, worn down by daily pain and exhaustion, that I am sure fighting these kinds of battles would make one crazy--and a few cuss words would definitely be flying! Take care of yourself, and I hope today goes better for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member