Guest viewing is limited

TKR Here I go again!

or stretched out in front of me resting on the front sides made for that purpose
I didn’t know they had this fearure, I’ve never seen someone do that, so I didn’t even bother looking at them.

Plus the stress of the learning curve to figure out how to work the cart. :rotfl:
 
Sitting comfortably in a chair with feet down is hard for me at present, at least for any length of time. Walking round the shop was fine.
Only snag was that it was pouring with rain when we finished and had to make a very slow dash (in my case) back to my daughter's car.
 
I can still be uncomfortable sitting in a chair with my feet on the floor for a length of time. My bend is fine at this point (16 months post op) but the 90 degree angle puts uncomfortable pressure through my knee.
 
Last edited:
Well I'm royally fed up today. I don't seem to have made any progress. ROM seems stuck. I hate elevating and icing. My knee burns when I elevate and my scar hates the coldness of the icing. On top of that it doesn't seem to help at all.
Have hit a wall.
Sorry you feel like that, but it is only a month since you had this major surgery.
Progress is never in a straight line. It's more like a roller-coaster - or two steps forward and one step back.

Don't worry about your ROM. There's no need to rush to get ROM, because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Lunch at my daughter and family's. Such a nice change of scene. Then, almost best of all, supermarket shopping! With a good trolley to lean on I absolutely loved going round picking things I really wanted rather than what other people had (very kindly) brought when doing my shopping. Ooh I did enjoy it! Probably good exercise too.
I'm sure your outings did your spirits good. Your knee, not so much. That was a lot of activity for so early in recovery. Please don't be tempted to do too much, too soon.
Activity progression for TKRs
 
@Spex10 My hubby has been doing all the shopping for now-and doesn't tend to get what I ask him to get. So, I give him a list from my computer where I've put in the item, a picture of it (in color!) the price, size, etc. Then I send it to the printer, or, if it's just a couple of things, to his phone, and he now will get exactly what I want.
 
That's part of the problem @lovetocookandsew, I don't always know what I'll fancy eating so used to like to wander round the shops seeing what looked nice. Also my OH sometimes makes substitutions that he thinks are just great (but usually aren't!)
 
@Spex10 Mine was doing the same thing so I told him if he wants to substitute an item to make sure it's something only he's eating. But if I'm eating it, he needs to get exactly what I asked for. So now, if he can't find what I put on the list he knows to call me or text me with pictures of what he thinks will be an acceptable substitute. Otherwise he'll have to go back and he really hates going back! He doesn't cook at all so has no clue about such things. I try to not be too picky or grumpy about it, but he knows I have good reasons for asking for specific items. I make my menus at the beginning of every month for the entire month so I only shop once a month. I rarely have to go to the store again unless it's for a perishable item I need that was planned for. But, even though I stocked up on everything before my surgery, there have been a few things we've needed, especially since it's been more than five weeks and we didn't do any July shopping. But even though I've made my menu for the month, some days we feel like something different than the menu for that meal or the weather has changed drastically, so my menus are easily switched around.
 
Wow! So organised @lovetocookandsew!
I usually shop twice a week. I enjoy it.
Oh well back to icing and elevating. Might risk a few heel slides. I've got the latest edits back to the fiction editor at the magazine I write for and am feeling generally virtuous today.
 
I used one of the carts last time I went to the supermarket. My knee wouldn't bend enough to sit on it comfortably. I had to stretch it out on to the front of the cart. That way I managed round.
Are you feeling better today Spex10?
 
Yes thanks @Mollymax. I think the outing did me good - and the kitchen is full of things I actually want to eat!!
How are you doing?
 
Thinking about icing. The PT said to ice for max 20 mins. This is because it slows down blood flow. I can understand that this makes sense after an exercise session as it could help reduce inflammation. However, BS emphasises icing for long sessions. Surely that just restricts blood flow and slows possible healing?
If it's for for pain reduction I can see that it could suit some people but might prolong recovery.
Meanwhile I'll stick to doing it after exercise (including ADL type activity)
 
The 20 minute max is standard for things like sprains, strains, and injuries of that sort. Your PT is right about the reason why: it applies to sports injuries which are fairly simple and benefit from some reduction of swelling for pain, mostly, but don’t need chilling for better healing.

Post-surgical swelling is different and longer periods of icing are beneficial. Some places (@Eeek talked about Switzerland) eschew icing for cooling with circulating chilled water, but the principle of prolonged chilling of the swollen, healing joint is the same. The longer chilling/icing helps reduce rampant swelling and the heat (with accompanying drying effect that leads to less optimal healing) of inflammation.

Long periods of icing are super helpful in early recovery and become less effective later on. The day came for my knees (the right knee two months sooner than my left) when icing for longer than 15 minutes became uncomfortable. That told me the knee was healed and no longer needed icing. If the knee is swollen and hot, though, it can use a good icing.
 
@SusieShoes - and last week in hospital, I got an ice pack! Maybe some one is reading Bonesmart!

The PT for my first TKR said that healing was impeded by icing. So I used chilled water. I think i’ve used the cryocuff 4-6 hours each day since i’ve been home
 
I didn’t ice constantly either. I elevated constantly. :heehee: My icing was for 40 minutes to an hour maybe five times a day, and always after activity.
 
I think I have a problem. Yesterday I tried some heel slides as I do every day. I pulled my leg back as far as I could and held that for a count of 10. Just as I've been doing. I only did about 5 of those. When I stood up I had a sharp pain at the side of my knee. I iced and elevated but it continued to hurt whenever I walk. It's still sore this morning. What have I done? Should I leave it to settle or try heel slides again. There was no swelling btw.
 
If it was me I’d let it settle before doing it again. I found early on I couldn’t hold the heel slide for long. I doubt I ever counted to 10.
 
No improvement in bend. However, I took your advice and didn't do heel slides today. I went for my first solo walk around our lovely garden. We live in a block of flats with gardens all round (looked after by other residents who love gardening ie not us!)
I increased my stride length a bit which caused a slightly longer quad stretch but in a rhythmic way. I enjoyed it too. Real exercise. Now to a well earned rest!
 
I’m glad you enjoyed your pretty walk. I love other people’s flowers, too, as I don’t enjoy gardening either.

In my house before this one I had flowers on my deck. It got shade most of the day, but intermittent sun. I like container gardening and that’s what I had on my deck. The backyard went down a slope to a creek, then up a steep hill on the other side of the creek. No houses behind us, just woods. I loved it. I was one of the few in the neighborhood who loved all the deer going through. (Those fawns were awesome!). In my current house with no shade I can’t grow hardly anything, but my neighbors can. I don’t get it!

Improvement in bend is going to take time. It took me months! Then at 4 months I had a major set back and my ROM was awful for months after. I was back to having that really tight feeling in my thigh and especially the back of my calf. For months. It finally eased up gradually and my bend, even now at 16 months, is better than ever. In spite of my other issues.

Your only about 4 weeks. Give it time. Stretches are good, but not if they hurt. If they do, it’s too much at this point. Give it time and try a little more of a stretch later.
 
Your walking is the best thing for you. Your ROM will increase as you walk more. Just don't over do it!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom