TKR Here I am with my new left knee

@cpd599 - what do you do for work? I know I am doing much better now than I was even two weeks ago on stamina.. My first day at work today was a "piece of cake".. but I have an office job.. (It's more psychologically challenging than physically challenging.. :)) Even in the last two weeks, I've become much more notably stable in walking unassisted! I think you're "on the brink" of a breakthrough.. hopefully!! :wink:
 
I'll be thinking of you on Monday. Hope the return to work goes well for you.
 
Thanks Guys. I'm at work now actually. I'm in Law Enforcement, and luckily I am mostly administrative. I am on light duty for a couple months, so I'll be ridin this desk for a while. The hardest thing is going to be adapting to these hours ( 7pm-5am) and not getting out on the street at all. I am definitely not ready for that.
I feel pretty stable walking around. Been doing a lot of PT with stairs and strengthening those muscles. I think my PT over worked me today. Feeling it right know.
@Braunzie, Glad to hear work is going well
 
@cpd599 hi. Just caught up
On your thread

I am like you about 12 weeks still feel the klink at times. I also ice as often as I could. I am a pediatrician and even put ice on in between patients for a minute or two if I have time.
After exercise I always ice
Although my icing time is getting less
I find now that I can stand longer with the swelling coming later
Hope all others are doing well
 
@cpd599 - checking in to see how you're doing. I'm sure it will take you some time to adjust to the hours. Do you have any idea how long you'll need to have a desk job? I'm thinking it may be a while. I know I couldn't go out chasing any criminals the way my knee feels.. (Not that I would have been terribly proficient at it even BEFORE my knees went bad.. :heehee:) In fact, I was thinking today that I'm actually pretty vulnerable if anyone really wanted to take me on.. :umm: Not much I can do about that other than not put myself in that potential situation.. Most importantly, I wanted to thank you for what you do. We are so fortunate to have folks like yourself who chose to "protect and serve".. Just sayin'.. :friends:
 
@Braunzie, Thank you for the kind words. I've done well and, thankfully, moved up in rank over the years. 90% of my job is administrative anyway, but I choose to be active and provide support and leadership in the field. I don't chase too many bad guys nowadays. Usually all the action is over when I show up.
I have had a little set back this week. I had PT Monday, the morning of my first night back to work. The PT had me doing things I hadn't done before or things like stair exercises at higher levels. All of this aggravated the muscle that is under the knee to the outside of my leg. I haven't been able to do any stair step type exercises all week, and not able to lift my leg in certain ways wile sitting or lying down. I'm definitely discouraged because I was walking up my stairs from garage to house, like a normal person. I hope this is just a minor thing and just needs to heal. I have PT tomorrow, so we'll see what they say.
 
Hi @cpd599 - I should be trying to sleep since I have to be up in 3 hours to make a 6am barre class. Guess I'll be leaving the studio and heading to work about the same time you're finishing up at work, but I had an important question for you - are you an east sider or west?
 
In fact, I was thinking today that I'm actually pretty vulnerable if anyone really wanted to take me on.. :umm:
I have considered myself the slow gazelle in the pack (you know, the one that the big cats chase and pounce on) since my knee deteriorated several years back. At that time, I worked in NYC and would arrive in Penn Station most days and pray that there were no "big cats" lurking/stalking.

I'm definitely discouraged because I was walking up my stairs from garage to house, like a normal person.
PT wore me out in more ways than one. I think if there is no real damage done, a few days of rest, ice, elevation should take care of the overuse woes, it did for me. While I was active in PT 2 to 3 days each week, I would take the days in between and rest - no home program because I was too sore or fatigued. That way I was always ready for the next PT session. You're about a month past me, I ended PT about a month ago. Everything, absolutely everything has improved for me since then.
 
@cpd599 - I'm a total "eastie". Live in the Heights area, work in Pepper Pike and if my trainer's barn was much further east she'd be in Western PA. I think my last trip to the West side was when I did the Cleveland half several years ago. Even if I can't run it, I'd love to do that one again just to prove that I can.

Okay, what team - Browns, Indians or Cavs? I live and die with the Indians, though I want the others to do well.
 
The PT had me doing things I hadn't done before or things like stair exercises at higher levels. All of this aggravated the muscle that is under the knee to the outside of my leg. I haven't been able to do any stair step type exercises all week, and not able to lift my leg in certain ways wile sitting or lying down. I'm definitely discouraged because I was walking up my stairs from garage to house, like a normal person. I hope this is just a minor thing and just needs to heal. I have PT tomorrow, so we'll see what they say.
I hope you've told your therapist that you're not ready for "stair type exercises." It's too soon for something like that, as you have found out from the problems that followed that session. You'll have plenty of time to do strength training later. For now, daily activity on stairs (or other physical activity associated with daily living) is enough for you. You're only 2 1/2 months out. Give it a couple of months at least before trying an actual "workout."

You've just had a little setback. Things will get better with some rest, ice and something for pain if you're experiencing that or swelling. It will take a few days to a week, though, so don't be impatient!
 
@Jamie. I was stupid. I knew those things were to much at the time I was doing them, but I was on a roll over the last couple weeks, and feeling strong. That WON'T happen again !

@susie09. I get a nose bleed if I go too far west ! lol. I love all of them, but I bleed brown and orange. I'm starting to think I wont see them win it in my lifetime. A half marathon was my goal when the knee went bad. when I hit 50, I was in the best shape of my life. I was up to 9 miles for my long run day. I wish I would have done the half that year...too late now. I really got into biking after that, and I can't wait to resume that after this little "bump in the road".
How's your knee doing ? Been 8 months since the last one ? was that a good timeline between knees ? I'm hopeful that your getting back to normal, because I hope to be close at that point.
 
I'm definitely discouraged because I was walking up my stairs from garage to house, like a normal person.
Don't be too discouraged. ... If you were doing this with ease (as I interpreted), you're ahead of the game.. I can't do this yet.. still working on it, with pretty heavy reliance on the hand railing.. Remember the rollercoaster.. and ... "Patience is a virtue"... I'm still working on this myself, so I get it.. but stay strong and brave.. It will all come in good time.. :yes: :friends:
 
It is tough to feel good, try to push forward a bit, and feel the knee say "I'm not quite there yet." It will be there soon, and you will be glad you journaled it, because it helps to see our progress. I know how surprised I was by how much my desk job took out of me the first two weeks back. Now I have had my second knee done, I will be going back even earlier. But I know what to expect. Are you enjoying being back at work? I love my job, and found that being productive helped me forget about my knee. I am sure that in your job you must go home at the end of the day knowing you made a positive difference in many people's lives. Thank you for that.
 
Thanks for the encouragement guys. It was a week today, and I'm not seeing a big change. Thankfully, it doesn't affect my walking, so I can keep active. I'm only doing my home PT once a day during the work week, but I'm ok with that because I'm walking during work and the rest of the day. Ridin the rollercoaster !
 
Here we are..Middle of the work week...looking forward to the weekend ! 12 weeks, and I've come a long way.
Seems like "3 steps forward and 1 step back" the whole way. Trying to be patient, but it's hard. I'm only doing stretching for now, to keep my Flex and extent, while I wait for the leg to heal.
 
I'm just a day after you in new knee birthday so I read your posts with much interest. Sounds like you're doing well and the set backs are just temporary blips on the radar. I feel that now I am back at work I don't need to do any exercising at all, but that can't be right. How am I going to get the strength back or improve my physical condition? So I am setting a goal to do at least 10 minutes on the recumbent bike every other day and take my mini peddler to work so that I can do some mini exercises at work.
 
Back
Top Bottom