TKR Here I am with my new left knee

Cpd599, I too am 4 months this past Friday and I too am back to doing stair work. I left PT at 8 weeks but always have had pain walking down steps normally so I put myself back into PT. Start this week. Good for you for getting in so many bike rides. I got a good ride in today--60 in Minneapolis!
 
I understand about work limiting PT time. I'm way too exhausted at the end of the day.
 
Once you're back at work, the activity your knee gets is more than enough. Most people find that they don't need to go to PT any longer.
 
OK, I walked a mile today, which is longest so far. Have tried to get into a car more normally, but still end up going to the "sit and spin" when I don't feel comfortable. Walked up a flight of stairs to the gym at work, and back down....Progress !
 
A mile is a long way. Well done. Sit and spin - that's exactly what I do. Thank you for naming it.
 
@cpd599 I still usually push my seat back before I get out. I still have some problems consistently getting into and out of my car. I never know when I can or cannot get in and out easily so I just assume i need the help. I have started to forget sometimes but I figure I'll eventually be getting in and out normally. It's just like going down ramps and stairs for me. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.
 
Great job on the walk. Proud of you, sir.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I previously pushed the seat back, I sat and spun and now I do this weird thing where I sit like my leg can bend normally but I push up with my right leg to supplement the last bit of flex that my left leg needs. It doesn't feel too unnatural and I may even be able to go back to the truly normal way that I sit on the driver's seat but I am so accustomed to protecting The Knee.
 
It's funny. A "simple" thing like getting in and out of a car takes so much thought. Like walking, stairs, sleeping.
It's all getting easier I guess.
@hawk2go. It's all about protecting the knee. I have started a new stretch that I kneel on my bed and put weight downward forcing my leg to bend. Seems to be the only way I get a good stretch these days.
@AThom10731. Thanx. Did a mile two days in a row. Just got my treadmill up and running, with the TV cable hook up. Hope it feels natural, cause winter's coming.
@Braunzie. I guess, for now, I'm doing very good. Hoping for GREAT. Gotta catch up on your thread. I bet we have similarities, as usual. Hope all is well.
 
It's funny. A "simple" thing like getting in and out of a car takes so much thought. Like walking, stairs, sleeping.
It's all getting easier I guess.
I certainly remember those days---it took work to get in and out of a car. You are correct, though, it will definitely get better. Soon things will become normal and getting in and out of a car---or anything else, for that matter, will take no effort or forethought at all.
 
It's been a week. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I have so many things to be thankful for.
Sometimes I get pain right on the knee cap area when going down stairs. Anyone else ? I've been working in the basement carrying boxes and bending more, maybe that's it. I gotta get going on my strength exercises, but its hard to find time with work and all. Sound familiar ?
 
After my LTKR I had knee cap pain when stepping down stairs for at least six months. I don't remember exactly when it went away, but it's gone now (13 months post op). During that time my flexion also increased to a comfortable ROM. I'm guessing there was scar tissue or something that eventually stretched away. When that issue resolved I was able to concentrate on strengthening. Hopefully you'll get there faster.
 
I gotta get going on my strength exercises, but its hard to find time with work and all. Sound familiar ?
I would not worry too much about the strength exercises---it sounds like life is your PT now---and strength and stamina are two of the last aspects to return.

Hang in there---you are doing great---you are moving forward----keep on keepin' on!
 
Hi there. I have pain going down stairs normally. The pain moves around. Sometimes it is on the lateral side of my patella and sometimes it is at the bottom and sometimes in my quad. I was released from PT at 8 weeks because I was doing so well. However, the pain persisted so I just recently put myself back into PT. (Surgery was July 13.) The eval showed my gluts on the TKR side are very weak. My IT band is also tight. All this causes me to sort of tuck my hip and bend my knee inward when descending stairs, which really hurts. This seems to be my last obstacle. Well, let's hope it is the last anyway. :beg:
 
Back
Top Bottom