Guest viewing is limited

TKR Here I am with my new left knee

Continuing discussion from elsewhere...

@tigz. What was your ROM at one month ? did it continue to improve ?

Hi @cpd599 It got stuck around 90° at a month when it hit a brick wall and really didn't improve. The OS didn't like that I seemed to have lost ground when he saw me at eight weeks... but the four week appointment was right after PT and I knew they'd 'loosened me up' (as best they could) for the appointment!

I'm still having tight hamstring issues at night (am still working on extension at four months post TKR), and swelling above the knee, that progresses to the rest of the knee, mostly on days I work.
 
@tigz , I was moving along and now seem to be stuck around 90 also. I had a set back at week 2 and had to stop PT for a week, but when I was able to resume, it started improving. I also have swelling still from surgery above knee cap. I have started using ice bag directly to that area instead of ice machine, but not noticing differenceother than it is definitely hitting that spot.
 
Hopefully gentle PT will do the trick! Remember that your knee is running this show. :-)

Don't forget this early on there's still a heck of a lot of internal healing still going on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Just btw...I have cementless too, but my OS put some screws in so I could be weight bearing right away. The bone grew in really well. Wishing you the same.
 
@kneeper, Thanks. I thought I was the only cementless one on here ! Looking forward to next Thursday. If everything is ok at that point, curious to see whats next. I assume I'll start walking at out patient therapy (still doing in home PT). Do you remember which knee you have ?
 
Good Morning. It's funny...I went to dinner last night to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday, then stopped at her local hangout to celebrate a little with her and her friends. I was out for about 3 hours and was comfortable with my leg down, bending and extending as best I could. When I got home I had a little extra swelling in knee only, but went to bed... had NO pain and slept great ! BTW..I didn't have any alcohol. I thought for sure I was gonna be hurtin. It's a little tight this morning but I will start my "process" after coffee to see how it's gonna behave today.
PT yesterday went good. My flex was a little over 90, so PT asked if I was ready for her to push a little on the heel slides. We hav'nt done that since my setback. She was very gentle and I gave it my best, and got to 96. I then got it there on my own, so I'm happy with that. We'll see what today brings.
 
Hi @cpd599 --both my knees are cementless. My doc is a believer in them for younger patients.

I know the first is a Smith and Nephew and the latest is a Zimmer, but I don't know which model.
My second feels even better than the first, but I think that's more because the first knee was in worse shape preop than because of the model or brand.
Knee #1 is 3+ years old now and I've been very satisfied so far.

Good to hear you had a nice outing and good night's sleep.
 
@kneeper. Thanks for the info. I was starting to think I was the only cementless here. Mine is Depuy w/ rotating platform.
 
Good Morning. Still chugging along here. I had PT yesterday and reached flex of 100 and ext close to 0. That was on my own, so I was happy about that. Hopefully it lasts. Although I am much better, I am so stiff/tight in the morning, I have to go thru a whole routine to get loose before I do much. Is this how it goes ? will it get better ?
I am very happy with my progress at 5 wks. The last 2 have been great. Hope it continues and the next 2 are even better !
 
Good Wednesday Morning Everyone. I'm doing pretty good at my 6 week mark. ROM is improving. Even on those "stiff" days, I am usually able to get it loosened up. I have been experimenting with new sleeping positions a little bit. Some are ok, some not. I have been getting out a little more, usually for a ride, or bite to eat.
Tomorrow is my big follow-up appointment with the OS. I am very excited to get the X-Rays and hopefully the OK to Bare weight and walk on it. I've had a lot of those "Life" distractions lately, but trying to stay focused.
 
Don't forget this early on there's still a heck of a lot of internal healing still going on.
I knit so used the analogy that there were are bunch of people with knitting needles going like crazy to get those tissues reconnected, that's why it got so warm. hahaha.

Although I am much better, I am so stiff/tight in the morning, I have to go thru a whole routine to get loose before I do much.
I wrap my leg in saran wrap at night. I started because the scar became sensitive and one of our Bonesmarties recommended for that. I then realized that I was able to get better flex and extension while doing my morning home routine if I wrapped at night. I'm not certain how to link to it but search for "Night pain solutions using moist heat and clingfilm" in the forum to find Josephine's instructions.

It's so strange to feel so "insecure" about simple things... But we all must "obey" the knee!
That is the title of my book!
 
The OS said everything looks great, and he's happy with my range of motion. X-rays looked great. It really hits home when you see those X-rays ! He wants me to get comfortable using one crutch as soon as possible. Also got the "official" OK to drive.
I have been very active in the last couple days, Driving..walking, with one crutch of course, and still doing PT. I start out-patient PT This week.
I am finding I don't have enough strength to take a normal stride yet. I still rely on the crutch at the end of my stride. Does this sound normal ? I am noticing different little aches and pains now, which makes sense. I really hope I get more strength back with the new PT.
 
Sounds like you're doing great. Nothing you describe sounds out of the ordinary.
 
Good Morning and Happy Labor Day ! Hopefully everybody can find something to be thankful for.
I have been getting around with 1 crutch for the last couple days without too much trouble. I just need a little help getting thru the stride. It's a little aggravating, but i'm very happy to finally be to this point !
Have a great holiday !
 
Morning. Started doing PT out of the house yesterday. It was much more physical than just the basic exercises I've been doing. Very nice, professional guy. First, he did his evaluation to determine where I am at. He was very happy with everything but my extension, but I had had a very active morning and spent probably an hour or more in the car. By the end of the session, he had my leg pretty straight.
Once I got the ok to walk, I used 2 crutches for a day or two, then went to 1 crutch. Now I am using just a cane. I have the usually "stand up and wait for the knee to move" thing, but it's going pretty good. I think the new PT is gonna kick it up a notch. I'm up for the challenge.
 
Sounds like you're doing well. Good luck with the PT!
 
Here we go, starting another week. 8 weeks tomorrow. I got out of bed yesterday, and did not have that "tight" feeling, for the first time. Of course, once I stood for a while, it returned. same thing today. Must be some sort of progress, right ?
PT is more challenging, but I like it. New opinions/ideas. They think I'm doing very well so that's good.
I have to go back to work in 4 weeks, so that's weighing heavily on my mind. I hope my walking gets better. I'm using a cane still, but I've only been walking for a week and a half.
I still have swelling from the surgery. Is that normal ? After too much activity, I swell under my knee cap on outside of knee. Is that normal ?
I ice and elevate after activities and PT, and after 10 minutes on my feet, it feels swollen again. I'll be glad when that goes away !
 
At 4 weeks my knee would swell to 3x its size, now at 12 weeks it swells to just 2x. Seems if you just started walking then you should expect gravity to do its part.

One of the more experienced TKRs may be able to share when the swelling stops.
 
I am almost 9 months and still have some stiffness and swelling. I sit at a computer most of the day and have a 2 hour round trip commute each workday. Hang in there. It gets better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow, I just don't know how in the world you drive 4 hours a day to a job!!! Then sit for 8 hours. I live in a small town in Montana and the wages here suck---but I drive 10 min max to most things and I hike or bike most days. I guess at some point, your quality of life has to be balanced by whatever financial gain you get with this type of sacrifice for your family.
 
Back
Top Bottom