Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hello from the UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mutley, I remember it well. Used to go to bed later and later praying to sleep till morning and was wide awake 2 hours later. I did eventually get to sleep on side with pillow between legs and it was agony to straighten it before I could turn my whole body over. All I can say is just nap when you can and try not to stress when you can't sleep, just give up and find a good book!
 
...2 hours...I wish :-( I'm a very light sleeper anyway but my brain says, night time = sleep time. I can't seem to distract myself with a good book, film or anything :-( Thank goodness I have my iPad to tap away on in the lonely hours of the night. As for having a nap? The last time I had a good sleep was when they put me out for the op! Have taken 2 sleeping tablets earlier this evening. Wish me luck, I'm heading UPSTAIRS........ :)
 
Bad night for me too last night - had 45 minutes sleep, give or take a couple of minutes. I know because I started to watch one of my favourite programmes in bed at 11 pm and was asleep by the first commercial break. I woke when the theme music for the end started. That was it. Layed there for a couple of hours, got up and watched telly until 4.30 am, back to bed and no sleep until I got up to get ready for work at 6.45 am. That was a very bad one..............:boohoo:

I have never in my life suffered with insomnia. I just can't understand it. It's not even as if my knee is causing me problems.
 
Kathy, maybe your coming out in sympathy with me :-) Seriously though, it's just not funny and I really feel for you as you have to go to work after a rubbish night. At least my 'office' is at the bottom of the garden & I can answer the phone from in doors! I was so tired last night, tried to stay up later than usual, watched some rubbish on the tv, EVEN tried your suggestion of laying on my back with a pillow under my leg! I pretty much clock watched all night and managed a little snooze when my hubby got up to take the dogs out at 7 am. I think I'll have to go and see the Dr & see if she can prescribe me something that WORKS! I hope you are rewarded tonight with what you didn't get last night :zzz:
 
Not feeling too bad at the moment, but might leave work half an hour earlier, as I fear I may need matchsticks for my eyes for the hour's drive home.

Ray has suggested I go to the doc's for something. I'm not keen on taking pills for it, but if I have many more nights like last night, I certainly will do.

Let's hope you and I both get a better night's sleep tonight - please God :angel:
 
Ive also been thinking about sleeping pills. I was on them a few months before the TKR because of the bad pains due to arthritis was unbearable at night. I had the couple of months supply and then my doctor wouldnt give me any more. Said I shouldnt rely on them. Thats what stopped me going back again. Ive not a full nights sleep since I had the op and thats 18 weeks now. Getting a bit boring. But I dont work so make up for it in the day with naps. I know if i didnt nap during the day I might sleep better at night but its so hard when you feel so tired. I usually fall asleep about 4 or five in the morning until about 10ish. :sad: :mcoffee:
 
When I first came out of hospital, I was keeping to the hospital routine - lights out early and early wake up calls. Then gradually I was sleeping in a bit more in the mornings at home and then of course going to bed that much later. Until I got into the bad habit of going to bed real late (1 or 2am) and sleeping in until noon :yikes:

Maybe this is how my present problem was created, I don't know. I do know that a lot of the time when I am lying in bed unable to sleep, I am yawning like mad because I feel so tired. Why then no sleep? :tada: Especially as I am now getting up early for work, you think I would sleep like a log
[Bonesmart.org] Hello from the UK!
 
Like you I couldn't sleep, I finally talked to my doc, the best thing for me. He had me take Ambien, took a couple of days to get used to, very vivid dreams. I am sleeping well, and is making a big difference in my recovery. I was hesitant too, will only take them until I can tire normally.
 
My GP wouldnt give me sleeping pills, she said it will sort itself out in time , but I wasn't going to work at that point.
It is just horrible not to sleep and the more you stress the worse it gets. I did get an anti depressant as in the middle of the night i imagined all the woest case results. I hope you sleep tonight, I am relegated to upstairs as hubby is watching Real Madrid and Manchester United play
 
I was given Amitriptyline 1x10mg nightly, but have doubled that and still nothing :-( Giving it a final shot tonight & then back to the Dr's for me. The only night I have managed a good 6 hours is when I took Ibuprofen, paracetamol, Oxynorm, Codeine sulphate...and a cheeky bottle of red :-) My knee was rather stiff in a bent position when I woke up but hey! Who cares? I had some SLEEP...and a bit of a muzzy head too!
Right, it's 11.49pm...wish me luck :-)
 
Bad night for me too last night - had 45 minutes sleep, give or take a couple of minutes. I know because I started to watch one of my favourite programmes in bed at 11 pm and was asleep by the first commercial break. I woke when the theme music for the end started. That was it. Layed there for a couple of hours, got up and watched telly until 4.30 am, back to bed and no sleep until I got up to get ready for work at 6.45 am. That was a very bad one..............:boohoo:

I have never in my life suffered with insomnia. I just can't understand it. It's not even as if my knee is causing me problems.


Kathy, since my TKR I have not been able to get my sleep back on schedule. Last night, I coul not sleep for love or money, and was wide awake until 4:00AM. I got up from the couch at 4, went to the bed, and tossed and turned until about 7am. Finally slept unti about 11am.

This same pattern has been going on since my surgery. My knee isn't a bother at all, and I take no pain med of any kind, not even over the counter.

I just can't figure it out, and I do not want to take sleeping meds at all. Thank goodness I'm retired, but this is just crazy!
 
Toni, it's probably just a habit you have to break now, easier said than done, I know
 
Well I had a chunk of sleep between midnight and 1am, clock watched and then another chunk between 6&7 am. Having said that I feel better than I have done in ages! I never nap during the day so should be more than ready for a good nights sleep! Hey Ho, just another challenge on this TKR journey.
On a POSITIVE note, I had a good physio session. ROM was measured at 100 degrees. Slightly disappointed at this but I'm willing to accept that this could change in the coming months with continued exercising and normal day to day activities. I've heard all good things come to those who wait...so I shall wait :-)
My physio gave my knee the most wonderful pommeling/rubbing massage to encourage it to straighten. For someone so young & quiet I'm sure he was using my knee as a stress reliever but it was GREAT! I was then able to walk better than I had in the last few weeks and arranged to be picked up further away from the hospital so I could have a good walk. I then got home and tried out an emergency stop in my car on our driveway. Didn't kill anyone so that gave me the confidence to drive to the supermarket for the 1st time in 11 weeks! I am so chuffed today as FINALLY I feel like I've taken back a little bit of control on my TKR recovery journey :-)
 
Sorry to hear you are having problems too, Titianlady. I guess what Nancy says is true. You will see on my own thread that I had a real good night's sleep last night. Guessing that was just making up for the previous night's loss. See what tonight brings :whistle:
 
Oh dear, you are in the wars with your lack of sleep, Mutley.

I know you are disappointed with your ROM, but I don't think you should be. Yay :yay: for driving for the first time in eleven weeks. Isn't it good to get part of your independence back instead of relying on others all the time? Another achievement. Well done you :thumb: :yes!:
 
Hey Mutley Hi and welldone for a good day. Good physio and driving as well. Slowly getting back to the world of the living again. If youre anything like me you cling to that trolley for dear life to help me get round. Im so pleased youre improving and hopefully after all that exercise you will have a good nights sleep :zzz:
 
Okay, so I have just started to drive again. Manual car! No luxury of an automatic for me! Just a bit past 11 weeks post op BUT I just can't get my daily balance of exercise/normal routine/life & recovery right. I've just driven to my local supermarket. Stuck an hour ticket on the window as I didn't think I had too much to get. Before I knew it my leg decided to NOT play ball and I was left struggling to get all my shopping before the ticket ran out :-( I actually went over by nearly 15 minutes but thank goodness Mr Traffic warden wasn't about! Put the shopping in the car but couldn't get my leg in as it was too stiff. Managed to do a side on entry by grabbing hold of my trousers & hauling my blooming leg too. After getting the shopping in the house & then away, I've now had to lay on the sofa for an hour with a bag of frozen sweetcorn! The knee isn't swollen as such just stiff AND VERY ANNOYING :-( Is this still down to my "Patience" problem? Surely I should be able to cope with a bit of shopping? There was me thinking I might be ready to take the dogs out for a walk soon... :-(
While I'm moaning...THIGH MUSCLE PROBLEMS :-( Had the MUA 3 weeks ago this coming Thursday. Any idea how long the pain in the thigh might last for? Or any ideas how to relieve that deep, aching pain? Have tried deep heat cream, ice and hot water bottles but nothing seems to penetrate deep enough to give any sort of relief....Ggrrrrrr :-( not a happy bunny at the moment!
 
I am completely fed up :-( I can't believe I'm in so much discomfort from a silly trip to the shops. Can't even walk properly from the living room to the kitchen. What a difference a few hours can make.... No doubt my day will be topped of with another night of little sleep :sad:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hello from the UK!
and there's also
[Bonesmart.org] Hello from the UK!
between what you feel you can do and what your knee is able to do.


You need to restart your recovery date from the time of your MUA. So that makes you just a couple of weeks out. The grocery shopping was just too, too much for your poor knee. So it's back to the BoneSmart mantra---pain meds on a schedule, rest a lot, with operated leg elevated (toes above nose), and ice, ice, ice!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Hello from the UK!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom