Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hello from the UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jacki, I think your physio depends on where you are in the UK. I was just given 3 appointments and then discharged. I got more help and information from this site. My hospital never mentioned icing and elevating and that helped me a lot in the early weeks. I also didnt get to use a CPM machine which is normal in some areas.
 
I was given a list of home exercises to do and sent home. I spoke to physio in hospital and insisted that I wanted to see a physio when I got home. I wad told it is not usual to get physio. I didn't see the point of going back to hospital at 2 months for them to say I wasn't recovering as I should because I was doing exercises wrong. I felt this would be a waste of resources spent on actual op. so I did get to see a physio at GP practise ...really just for reassurance that I was doing ok! Here patients get to see hospital, not necessarily surgeon, at 6/8 weeks and then not again till 1 year. I am due back at hospital in a couple of weeks when I will have had my tkr for 13 months. I am looking forward to finding out my rom measurements. I do still have pain on stairs and warmth in the knee. Some of the time I almost feel 'normal' but most of the time I am aware of knee. To be fair the surgeon did tell me that tkr patients always know they have an artificial knee. Maybe I'm expecting too much
 
I also didnt get to use a CPM machine which is normal in some areas.
But unusual. From comments made in conferences, not using a CM is by far the norm. And evidence from research actually support the notion that they make absolutely no difference whatsoever!

Mutley, which hospital did you do to?
 
Here patients get to see hospital, not necessarily surgeon, at 6/8 weeks and then not again till 1 year.
Not everywhere. Follow-up appointments are given at a huge variety of times; first from 6 weeks to 3 months, second from 6-12 months.

Actually, did you all know that due to cutbacks, many hospitals are now only doing two follow-ups on knees and none after 12 months? Shameful!
 
Nancy I was discharged from the hospital at 6 weeks and that was it. It would have been nice to have another appt at twelve months to see what the ROM was and how i had progressed if at all.
 
This makes me realise even more so how lucky I have been! I had my op at Frimley Park in Surrey. I saw my surgeon on 26th September 2012. After seeing my x-rays & the deterioration in less than a year he said we had no option but to carry out a TKR. He also said he was going to fit me with a Personal Signiture replacement, sometimes referred to as the Ferrari of knee replacements as they are made following an MRI of your knee so it fits you EXACTLY. His secretary rang me and offered me the 20th December for the TKR. I jokingly said that's great but that day would be my 48th birthday so if she had anyone cancel as it was too close to Christmas, give me a shout. She rang back with-in the hour to offer me the 1st December. I was having physio with-in 2 weeks of having the surgery. By 5 weeks my physio said he was going to contact my surgeon as he was concerned with my lack of progress. My 8 week follow up appt was then brought forward by 2 weeks, saw my surgeon, complemented him on his surgery skills as I didn't have ONE bruise on my leg and he agreed that an MUA would be beneficial which was arranged for 2 weeks later. I've then been having CPM sessions twice a week for the last 2 weeks, 1 tomorrow and then I'm having a follow-up with my normal physio on Thursday to see what is happening here on in. I have a feeling he will possibly discharge me on Thursday, which is a bit scary but hey! I've certainly had my money's worth so to speak! I've also just received another appt to see my surgeon the beginning of April so like I said, I can't fault the care I've received! Makes a change to hear something nice for once! :)
 
Josephine said:
Actually, did you all know that due to cutbacks, many hospitals are now only doing two follow-ups on knees and none after 12 months? Shameful!

I was told it'd be 6 weeks, 1 year , 5 years and 10 years ! I suppose that could be changed !
 
Hi i had appointment at 8 weeks that took all of 5 minsasked me to bend, knee stand up,and said fine see you in a year. I started asking a question and was told i had signed a consent form and he was very busy and see receptionist for year appointment,good day.
 
Oh I didn't get to see surgeon at 6 weeks just a nurse from arthroscopy team. Took x rays, said they looked fine , measured bend and took stick from me!
 
I was told it'd be 6 weeks, 1 year , 5 years and 10 years ! I suppose that could be changed !
This directive was given by the PTB early last year. Some hospitals are instigating it, some aren't and some are going somewhere down the middle! Main factor is, no f/u after year 1!
 
Hi i had appointment at 8 weeks that took all of 5 minsasked me to bend, knee stand up,and said fine see you in a year. I started asking a question and was told i had signed a consent form and he was very busy and see receptionist for year appointment,good day.

How rude some people are aye, Richard? :sad:
 
Yes i was told he is a bit brusk but he is supposed to be a good surgeon.At first consultations he was same straight to point no asking questions his reply seems to be i have signed a consent form for op so tough it out.Never mind though knee is working better than before I THINK.
 
Hey Richard. Are you at the point yet when you think Im so pleased I had the TKR done. Im 18 weeks out and im sure not at that point yet. Thats why I wont consider the right knee getting done yet. How can I do that when Im not convinced it was the right thing to do. Be interested how you feel.
 
How rude some people are aye, Richard? :sad:
I can't believe this . My surgeon is quite a quiet, younger guy but we do have a bit of banter, which I like! When I had my follow up appt bought forward he was asking about any other issues and we had this following conversation...
" we'll, I've got quite a bit of pain in my thigh, I have to keep rubbing it. I think it's because you might have had the Torniquet a bit too tight or maybe my thigh was a bit too fat." My surgeon looked at me with just a glimmer of a smile and said, " that's what you think is it, Torniquet was too tight?" "Yep!" I confidently said....to which the reply was, "That's very strange then because I DIDN'T use a torniquet on you!" I did concede that that was the trouble with having the Internet to hand, you can come up with the WRONG diagnosis!
 
Hey Mutley, you asked how I was doing. I can't believe how well I am progressing. It has only been 4 weeks since my last surgery and I am progressing well. I have come to some conclusuons, my surgeon is wonderful, I think he really took his time doing the surgery and made sure he did everything he possibly could so I would have good outcome. I sure hope you can move forward past this pain. I would make sure your doctors understand how you are feeling and don't leve without the correct pain med. Sometimes you just have to be a little bitchy!!
 
Yes robyn not quite sure,i had no pain before or now i could kneel easily before i can now but not easily,also used to bike easily 50 miles 2/3 times a week now have to get knee working first then most upto now is 30 miles.I am swimming 120 leangths of baths a week i did this before but easier knee is heavy.Plus side i am walking further and knee does not give way which was my worst problem and knee swelling like a balloon.Other knee very little pain gets very stiff, can kneel on easy and can keep up with operated knee,on x ray this knee was the worst looking but not as much bother,having this one done ask me in another year, now no chance will leave alone.
 
So, are you ready for this mornings little moan? Despite taking sleeping tablets last night, I've spent virtually the whole night awake TRYING to keep my leg straight. I tend to like sleeping on my side, all curled up, or should that say "used to" but now if I do drop off with the knee slightly bent it's horrible trying to get it 'back to normal' when you wake up. On the other hand, as I can't get my leg straight, this is what I feel I need to do. Another wasted day of feeling tired & miserable ahead for me. I'm almost tempted to find 2 bits of wood & bandage them to my leg tonight! Anyone else having this problem???
 
Oh dear, Mutley, can't help you on this one. I have spent the majority of the past five and a half months sleeping on my back - slept well for the most part and then terribly for the next - but always with my operated knee on a pillow and straight.

Now I can sleep on either side. I still have my knee on a pillow just for comfort (as a comfy blankee, I suppose) and when I do turn over, I am real careful. So it has got much better.

I am sure the same will be for you in all good time - after all you are only a couple of months out from your TKR. Have you tried a pillow under your knee?
 
Kathy I have tried everything, EVEN sleeping on my back, to no avail :sad: I just can't get comfortable no matter where I place the pillows. I decided I really need to get back into a routine so set my alarm clock (not that I needed it!) to get up earlier, make a cup of tea, grab a bag of frozen sweetcorn and try and be a bit more productive. After a 20 minute walk, in the COLD, a few exercises and 5 minutes on the bike, I feel EXHAUSTED :sad: It seems no matter how I try & approach this I just don't seem to be taking back ANY sort of control during this frustrating recovery...Obviously I wasn't blessed with that thing called 'patience' but when your so tired you don't see a positive in any shape or form...Sorry people, another down day I'm afraid :sad:
 
Mutley Im with you there. Im almost four months and having some bad days. dont get me wrong ive had some really good days inbetween. Thats the nature of this recovery rollercoaster is a very good word. A lot of ups and downs accompanied by the odd scream. Sleep only became better for me about a month ago. Nothing much you can do when youre having an off day. Just ice, elevate, watch the daytime tele, read a good book and just give in to it. Tomorrow will be better. {please God let tomorrow be better :sigh: }
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom