An54
senior
So I hit the dance floor yesterday evening at the Big Band Swing benefit event. In the summer I had decided (or rather I had 'hoped' ) that November 23rd, about four months from my surgery date, would mark my return to more-or-less normal life. Yes, I used a walker/zimmer for my first month post-op--- sloooooooooow progress indeed compared to some who move onto a cane in the first five days, and hit the slopes at 30 days (surely the latter are mythical creatures??). However my eye was on the long-term ball (pun intended), and so far, so good. I dined, I danced, and I drank far too much wine. But I survived intact and did not injure myself. I'm a bit stiff this morning... but when am I not stiff in the morning? Does it ever go away at this age?
@Going4fun , here is my dance report: the event may have featured a Big Band orchestra, and advertised itself as a Swing Gala, but that didn't mean it was filled with a swing dancing crowd. In fact I saw only two other couples who could really dance, so basically the dance floor was a well-dressed mob moving, gyrating and jerking around to the music somewhat randomly. I mostly danced with my swing dance buddy, the light-as-a-bird one, so had no truly muscular challenges as can happen with a robust Neanderthal lead. I also had a few other dances with random gentlemen as happens at these events, but none were Dancers. For those dances I just had to be nimble enough to keep out of the way of getting my toes stomped on, or to be crashed into an adjacent couple; that also takes skill, come to think of it
. So while I can't say it was a brilliant evening dancing-wise, it was still significant for me as a kind of benchmark.
@Alitm , I think of the dancing passion as somewhat akin to the horse-riding one, although I suspect riding requires much more core body strength and probably much more everything (I don't know. I'm not a horsewoman). I am following your thread with interest, despite not posting much. Just think, 2019 will see you riding again , and Going4fun and I will be dancing (not together, mind you!), and all this THR stuff will be fading into the past.
Have a great weekend all.
@Going4fun , here is my dance report: the event may have featured a Big Band orchestra, and advertised itself as a Swing Gala, but that didn't mean it was filled with a swing dancing crowd. In fact I saw only two other couples who could really dance, so basically the dance floor was a well-dressed mob moving, gyrating and jerking around to the music somewhat randomly. I mostly danced with my swing dance buddy, the light-as-a-bird one, so had no truly muscular challenges as can happen with a robust Neanderthal lead. I also had a few other dances with random gentlemen as happens at these events, but none were Dancers. For those dances I just had to be nimble enough to keep out of the way of getting my toes stomped on, or to be crashed into an adjacent couple; that also takes skill, come to think of it
@Alitm , I think of the dancing passion as somewhat akin to the horse-riding one, although I suspect riding requires much more core body strength and probably much more everything (I don't know. I'm not a horsewoman). I am following your thread with interest, despite not posting much. Just think, 2019 will see you riding again , and Going4fun and I will be dancing (not together, mind you!), and all this THR stuff will be fading into the past.
Have a great weekend all.
Canada
@An54 What a great looking band, even if half the attending folk couldn't swing dance...which is rather disappointing..the lack of swing dancers! So glad you were able to show them how it is really done, with your light-as-a-bird dance partner
. So wonderful that you met that milestone. I am very very happy for you, as dancing is your passion...I get it! Cheers
to you, and it helpful to know what unfolds after four months of slow and steady 


You are getting very fit 

!! I had a local with that. 