BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by An54, Jul 16, 2018.

1. An54

An54 senior

Canada Canada
    My THR, right side, surgery is coming up in two days, on Wed July 18th.

My hip history . When I was about 50, I developed problems with my hip joints, had sharp catching pain getting up out of a chair, and even hurting myself rolling over in bed. An xray showed OA. Alarmed, completely ignorant, and pessimistic to boot, I had visions of being in a wheel chair before long--maybe in the following year :( It seemed to me that my final opportunity in life to take dance lessons was at that time, as I would likely be disabled forever after... (insert violin music here).

So I took up a variety of dancing: English Country Dance and a bit of Contra-dancing, and Ceroc, which is like Jive, and very energetic.

After the first year of dancing lessons and dancing events, rather than finding myself disabled, I was 95% better. So that worked out very well for over ten years. The Ceroc/Jive led to East Coast Swing, and also some ballroom dances. I had a great crowd of Swing Dancing friends and we had a blast dancing to Big Band music.

A couple of years ago, noticing increasing stiffness in my legs, I got a referral to our local OASIS Clinic. My left hip: 'moderately severe' OA, and the right one 'severe'. I could see the bone-on-bone on the X-Ray. I was almost in disbelief as I watched demonstrations of stuff I would soon be facing, like how to put on a sock with a plastic sleeve. I was told to choose a surgeon and get on the waiting list. How far I could walk? Unlimited. What was I taking for pain? "Nothing".

Almost two years have passed since that first OASIS appointment, and sure enough I am having more and more trouble walking, and the discomfort increases. My right hip is very weak at times, and once in a while I feel like I'm on the verge of complete structural failure in that joint. I use walking poles when outside.

My meds have been minimal to date, infrequent Tylenol.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi and Welcome to BoneSmart! We're happy you joined us.
    I will leave you the Recovery Guidelines to read before Wednesday.
    Some have a difficult time absorbing the information immediately post op, so this way you can get a head start. Please pay special attention to THE BIG TIP toward the bottom of the page. Wishing you comfort as you await Wednesday.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @An54

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

The looming has ended...the recovery begins.
    Sending healing hugs in advance!
    Bye bye hip pain...and eventually back to:happyfeet:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I think the worst part is the waiting. Our minds go crazy and the wait seems endless. Once you have the surgery, all that OA pain vanished immediately. You may have some discomfort from the surgery for a short time but that quickly disappears and before you know it, you are walking again with NO pain or stiffness. It is unbelievable! I’m over a year out from my surgery and whenever I have to walk across a large parking lot at the store, I still think about those days before my surgery and how much it hurt to make that walk. I always wanted to get as close as I could and then I could get a shopping cart to lean on. Now I don’t mind parking farther away and usually prefer it as I no longer have that pain.

I’m glad you found this forum. I’m sure you will find it extremely helpful in your recovery. The support and help here are incredible. Sending healing wishes your way for your surgery tomorrow!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  5. luvsibes

luvsibes senior

Wow @An54 - you delayed surgery even longer than I did! I can say that 4 years of pool work, adaptive yoga, and walking as much as I could stand was more than enough. I reached a point where I could hardly walk at all so I knew it was time. I can say that when I got in the car after surgery to go home I told hubby that other than the wound I was totally better in walking and pain than when I arrived at the hospital! I wish you success with your upcoming THR. The first couple of weeks are rough (and a blur) but for me it was totally worth it and I probably should have done it sooner than I did but I was scared and always think I can fix things myself! Sending you good wishes and healing energy!

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Bone-obo

Bone-obo graduate

Good on you for continuing to dance despite your diagnosis! All that exercise will probably make recovery much easier, and it'll give you a great benchmark for getting back on your feet. Keep your eyes on the prize: you'll be back Lindy Hopping and pop-turning before you know it! (Note: this is what came up when I googled "advanced swing dance steps". I also found "mad scientist variation." Are these, in fact, things you do?)

All the best tomorrow!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. An54

An54 senior

Canada Canada
    The 'benchmark' idea is brilliant. I hadn't thought of that. When I can do an 8 count triple step through a whole Lindy/Swing song again, I will know I have made it!

Haven't heard of the 'mad scientist variation', but at the moment I'm doing the 'mad-dancer variation on a theme', which is a novel set of moves involving limping around my home, watching the clock for the countdown to surgery tomorrow. Gadzooks if only once could beam two days ahead and make tomorrow yesterday with a snap of the fingers.

GrannyC, I've read elsewhere on the forums that the waiting is the worst part, so it's encouraging to imagine that I'm getting the worst part over first. When one is on the mend, at least one is progressing. It's the passiveness of waiting that emotionally debilitates. I'm glad I found this forum too, as I did not have anyone on hand who had gone through such surgery, and it is reassuring to connect up with others who have experienced it.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Bone-obo

Bone-obo graduate

By far. It was the only time when the stress was so bad I actually considered (briefly!!) calling the whole thing off!

Keep posting!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. An54

An54 senior

Canada Canada
    luvsibes,
    Thank you for the encouraging words. I think I'm right at the point you were, just on the edge of 'losing' it, in my case the strength in my right hip. Some days are better than others of course, but when your life continues to shrink down with increasing disability, it's time to do something.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

@An54 - you will be back to swing dancing before you know it! I didn't start learning until after my 2nd THR (although my group is West Coast) - loving it and having a ball! Just start back slowly when permitted because you'll want to get confidence in the new hip before you do some of the pivots and turns. It won't take long to build up your endurance so that you'll be doing the 8 count triple step all night and not just for one song!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Baby that hip my friend. I experienced this weak feeling in my left hip and it did finally collapse. The 6 months I had to wait for surgery were horrendous. I hope your wait isn't too long!

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. An54

An54 senior

Canada Canada
    Fortunately I only have to wait another few hours--surgery is tomorrow. I will be very happy to have it over with. Today I will hit the swimming pool for more walking around and around through water. A depth of about chest height works for me, and offers just the right resistance.

• Like Like x 1
  13. An54

An54 senior

Canada Canada
    SaraK,

Nice to meet another swing dancer! Yes, it is a real motivation to get this surgery and rehab done and get out there on the dance floor asap! I have done a bit of West Coast Swing, but my hips caught up with me before I could pursue it very far, likewise with Balboa or other intriguing dances. Dancing to the Blues is also growing here in Vancouver. So many dances, so little time...

• Like Like x 1
  14. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

I mainly just freestyle with a group I go out with. Mainly 70s and 80s - caused my PT and I to diagnose 2nd hip as "disco hip" ! Good luck with rehab and getting back out there. At one point I had to describe dancing to my shocked PT as "gentle adduction and abduction exercises set to music in a group setting". :heehee:

Layla and Mojo will warn you that I'm a BAD influence so don't follow my example!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. dogchick

dogchick senior

You're almost there! I agree with Granny C, the waiting is the worst part, I fluctuated between almost panic to complete serenity right up until I was wheeled in to the surgical room. :heehee: You will do great, I'm sure and be back out on that dance floor sooner than you think. Will check in on you tomorrow and see how you are feeling. Prayers for smooth surgery and recovery. :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:you've got this @An54 !
    See you on the healing side!:ice:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Apricot

Apricot senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hope all has gone well. The best is yet to come.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: Thinking of you this morning.
    Will be waiting for your first update.
    Prayers for your comfort today.
    @An54

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. luvsibes

luvsibes senior

@An54 - Sending hugs and healing vibes to you. I will be looking forward to your next post. The first couple of days are a bit rough (but the anxiety of waiting is gone and likely much of the actual hip pain). Check in when you are up to it and know you are on track in spite of the initial stiffness and swelling, constipation, and adjusting to the walker. We've all been there and will answer questions, reassure, ant Layla and advisors will keep you grounded with good info!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. An54

An54 senior

Canada Canada
    I’m alive I’m alive! So pleased to be here on the other side. I’m in my hospital room now, waiting for the spinal to wear off . The biggest surprise so far? That I am so wide awake ; I thought I would be groggy , doing stuff like dropping off to sleep halfway through a sentence. But I feel alert enough for a game of chess. I’ve had lunch and coffee, and am now just twiddling my thumbs waiting to “unfreeze”.

• Friendly Friendly x 2