THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

Nice update, thanks!
It sounds as though you're surpassing your own expectations. Good for you.
Great too that you haven't had anymore of the incidents you described.
Enjoy the week!
@An54
 
Good news on the recovery front! Great that you can dance like that. I’m still wary of twisting. Not so much that I am unable to rotate my hip, I guess it’s still a little foreign and a combination of tight and weak that makes me slow and cautious. So dancing would be a big step. I get that weakness feeling in my left knee also, mostly when I’m a little fatigued.

I actually proposed to my wife that we take dancing lessons several years ago. I thought it would be something fun that we could do together. She wasn’t interested, perhaps she would be embarrassed by my rigid movement hahaha. Maybe in a few years when the kids are out of the house and we have a lot more time I will bring it up again.
 
It sounds as though you're surpassing your own expectations.

@Layla , I must admit when I decided to run (haha) with the non-Applied-Exercise approach, I tried to throw most expectations out the window. What goals I set were longer-range, such as hoping to dance at about 4 months post-op, rather than shorter term objectives, like getting off walking aids in 2 weeks, or increasing steps by so many a day. I didn't measure, count or time anything; I have no numbers to chart my progress, and I can't plot a line on a graph. I have not taken a scientific approach; my decision was based on anecdotal evidence. So surpassing my own expectations was kind of easy considering how low I set the bar for the first couple of months :)

So dancing would be a big step. I get that weakness feeling in my left knee also, mostly when I’m a little fatigued.
@MrDIY , the dancing has been a big step for me too, and it does challenge so much of the body, with twists and turns, and also challenges the brain as well. I am hoping the bone has grown and integrated enough by now so that I am at little risk of loosening the implant.

I actually proposed to my wife that we take dancing lessons several years ago. I thought it would be something fun that we could do together.
My husband isn't that keen on dancing either, so after one set of lessons together years ago, he was set free. I built up a circle of dancing friends and we have a lot of fun together. That is my 'best exercise'. I used to jog a bit, not far--perhaps 3 or 4 miles a session, and at a moderate jogging pace. These days I am generally walking that much per day when I am out and about, but I don't think I'll return to jogging again.
I'm coming up to 16 weeks post-op, and I think the time has arrived to start ramping it up more, not just the dancing, but flexibility and strengthening, longer walks at a brisker pace....
 
What are your thoughts on yoga? I found it excellent for riding, as it was a total body stretching and strengthening regime. I was thinking that it might be really great for dancing too....just a thought. One has to be selective on which kind one wants to go to, but anything that gently stretches and strengthens is good

@Alitm , Yoga would be good. The last time I was at a yoga (years ago) , I noted they had a special class for the arthritic/compromised/post-surgical . Stretching and strengthening is just what I need. I think I will start with some floor exercises here at home--TODAY-- and I will credit you with giving me the nudge. Intending to "sign up for a class someday" often for me turns into, "Oh, I meant to sign up for a yoga class last year, and forgot!"
 
If there is a pantheon of gods above watching us, the capricious god of THR people casts his eye on cocky hippys, and throws a curve. The cavalier swing dancer is shut down. The god Hippichaos throws down a lightning bolt to cause a fall on a bus. Did I fall? No. A lady across the aisle went down when she tried to change seats, and I leapt forward to hoist her up from the floor. This didn't go very well. I stopped immediately when I felt/heard a crunching-giving-way in my lower back. That was a moment of regret I can hardly emphasis enough. Someone else stepped in to help the lady on the floor (she was fine; I was the one closer to needing an ambulance) , and I sat back down very gingerly. I have been moving very carefully ever since.

So I have over-done-it, have been thrust into the front door of the very clubhouse I vowed never to visit. I prefer to think of it as Hippichaos's fault. I was getting too confident.

I am icing, hoping for the best, and have cancelled Friday's dance lesson, barring a rapid recovery.
 
@An54, OMG, I can see jumping up as you did ... it's a reflex ... and if we haven't talked to ourselves ahead of time about not moving to stop others from falling, of course, some of us are going to jump in ... and strain ourselves ... So glad to hear the update that the hips are fine ...

How is the back? ... The crunch sounded a bit scary ...
 
OH NO @An54 SO glad your hip is OK....but not great about the back. :ice:is the best course of action of course. Stay in a position or positions where you can breath, exhale and relax those sore muscles.

You didn't over do it, you acted reflexively to help another....that doesn't count....so those little devils at the door of the ODIC can turn around and go back inside. You will NOT be joining them! You will do what you do best, rest and recover, and will dance another day, sooner vs. later. This is but a mere glitch on the big screen. Don't lose heart :console2:
 
Oh no! That is not fair, particularly as you were trying to help someone. Hope you feel much better soon and get back into the Swing of Things. Sending positive thoughts xx
 
Hi @An54
Sorry to read this, You we're doing so well.
I hope your back pain / strain is shortlived. Wishing you comfort as the employ the rest cure once again.
So sad when all you were doing was trying to assist another who'd fallen.
I hope today is better than yesterday. :console2:
 
Ouch! That sounds painful, @An54, and it's seems like it can be so easy to throw out our backs, and galling in this case as you weren't doing anything stupid, but simply trying to help another human being! Glad that hip wasn't affected, but I suspect back is still sore and aching. I think after "a certain age" we've all wrenched our back on occasion. When that's happened for me, a few days of rest, my heating pad and some Tylenol have been the key. You might also want to consider Pilates when you're up for it--I found before surgery it was really helpful for strengthening my core, including my back, and it certainly is something I'd like to get back to doing at some point. Anyway, nurse that sore back and don't beat yourself up.
 
How is the back? ... The crunch sounded a bit scary ...
I'm still very stiff this morning. I have to rise very slowly and rigidly when I get up from a chair, but once I get walking it's okay. But I am back to using the grabber, and bending over in extreme slow motion. Yes, the crunching was scary, but it feels like something that will sort itself out sooner rather than later, so for that I am happy.

Stay in a position or positions where you can breath, exhale and relax those sore muscles.
That's what I was doing most of yesterday. I have to be out and about later today, so will just move slowly. Like ketchup :)

Oh no! That is not fair, particularly as you were trying to help someone.
Sadly, fairness and intention count for naught when it comes to the ODI Clubhouse. But it helps a wee bit to be able to re-cast a setback as something ....errrrr... more positive...

These implants are tough and it take a lot to shift them.
I was very pleased to discover this, and my fears of loosening something while dancing have been damped down.
I am good to go.
Except of course, for the back.

You might also want to consider Pilates when you're up for it--I found before surgery it was really helpful for strengthening my core, including my back, and it certainly is something I'd like to get back to doing at some point.

Yes, core-strengthening is exactly what I need. I'll use this mishap as a motivator.

@Going4fun , @Alitm , @SurreyGirl , @Jaycey , @Barbaraj
 
Last edited:
I noted they had a special class for the arthritic/compromised/post-surgical
Somatic yoga works for this! Also chair yoga is really good....we have two resident experts... @luvsibes teaches chair yoga, and @stellaluna is also is a yoga instructor.....
I might not be able to get on the floor to begin with so might try the chair yoga as a starting point. If I can get on the floor, I'm going to go for somatic yoga, as I have taken a "supple equestrian class" before things went totally down hill, and it really helped loosen my leg muscles up, in the gentlest way. I was rather surprised by the results by the seemingly little we did. Definitely NOT a pain is gain class!
 
Last edited:
@An54 this is some more info on Somatics......

Somatics
is similar to the Feldenkrais method of movement "a system designed to promote bodily and mental well-being by conscious analysis of neuromuscular activity via exercises that improve flexibility and coordination and increase ease and range of motion."
  • It is very gentle. In my experience, in a somatics class (not somatic yoga) folks can be on a raised table or mat, but somatic yoga is done on a yoga mat, and has a meditation component as well.

Somatic Yoga, developed by Eleanor Criswell, is a unique approach to yoga that blends somatics (mind-body integration), Hatha yoga, and Raja yoga (Patanjali'syoga). It is based on the principles of somatics, yoga, neuroscience (especially thesomatic nervous system), applied psychophysiology, and psychology.
  • I have yet to go to a somatic yoga class, but am looking into it for the new year. Will probably start at Somatics first, now that I think of it :)
If you are already dancing, I would think you should just go to the somatic yoga class. You wouldn't need to do somatics first.

Hope your afternoon was ketchupy!
 
Hi @An54 Hoping you are making positive progress with your back. I was thinking of you this morning, as my RMT/somatics practitioner gave me some gentle somatic movements which I did on the bed this morning, to release my back before heading out to the barn. Hoping that you are getting more comfortable!

I'm finding icing is making me chilly in this colder weather!

@Jaycey Post #456 on this thread has the somatic info...forgot to tag you in it yesterday!
 
I'm checking in today with my 5 month anniversary. I just posted that I tweaked my back (no hip pain) also, An54- I was moving a suitcase from the luggage stand in a hotel and rolling it on to the floor. That twisted my low back and created a deep low back pain. Rest, ice, heat, stretch! I'm off to teach my chair yoga class this afternoon and continue to model adaptations and how our bodies can change from one day to the next!

I hope you are feeling better soon as you did the back strain assisting someone in need.

Thanks Alitm - for the info on somatic yoga. I use a lot of visualization in my adaptive yoga classes and will explore this further!
 
I'm finding icing is making me chilly in this colder weather!
@Alitm , I'm icing too, and it's not quite as satisfying in chilly November as it was back in sizzling July & August. I'm wondering if a massage might help. I'm not in pain sitting or lying; I just have trouble getting up out of chairs & bending down. This sure kills my dancing plans.

That twisted my low back and created a deep low back pain. Rest, ice, heat, stretch!
@luvsibes , I hear you sister! "deep low back pain"-- yup, my new companion. I am resting, icing and stretching, but haven't been heating. Alternate ice with heat? Hope your back problem resolves quickly.
 
Hi, @An54, hope the back pain is easing a bit today. I agree that icing in November is pretty chilling, and I have been using a heating pad when I slump into my easy chair, not so much for any pain relief but just because it feels so good. Once your back is cooperating, I'm sure you'll be out there on the dance floor again. As I said before, I also think for back problems, which can be affected by core strength, that Pilates is another good option. Don't think I'll try it until after the first of the year, but there are classes offered through the local parks and rec department, and I felt they were helpful prior to my surgery.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom