THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

Woo, hoo for you, @An54, your slow and steady approach has worked for you so far, but nothing like a slight course correction if you feel you can up your exercise as part of your languid daily routine. I think the whole healing process is about balancing and adjusting as we move along the path, and you seem to have a sensible, practical approach, definitely something for all of us to emulate in our own way. Have a great Sunday!
 
Last edited:
Nice to read you had another evening out.
I agree with Jaycey, you've set a good example and have enjoyed a Recovery of steady progress
and no real set backs. May it only get better as you continue allowing your body to heal.
A great week to you!
@An54
 
There is something I should add here about my life before I had surgery, and that is my history. Before my THR, I wasn't an athlete, but I'd been moderately and steadily active for years (recently declining, sadly). I live an urban life, and walk most places, or use transit, or trains, little ferries.. hanging onto straps...
but more and more I am getting seats on transit , especially since my hair turned white so early. First grey hair at 19. ! Beat that anyone.

I use to cycle, but just casual seawall cycling. I don't drive. When I was young, I hiked and camped (West Coast Trail x 3), and also worked in the bush land-surveying and tree-planting. In middle age I took up dancing which replaced the hiking. During the weeks before surgery I was going to the pool, walking to and fro through the water. Now I am wondering how far I can rebuild that strength. And lose the belly.
 
Well, you know you'll still be able to walk most places. Also use transit, trains and ferries.
You're already dancing. You'll be able to cycle, hike, camp and swim also. Why not, right?
I think it's all attainable. Maybe not to the levels of your younger years, but all still attainable.
You're doing great!
@An54
 
I lost a stone (14lbs) post LTHR and was not even trying to lose weight. Finally getting active again after over 3 years of limping around was all it took. You will indeed get back of all of that activity and more. Realising you can finally move around without that horrid pain is so energising.
 
:yes!:So happy to read updates as to your outings and think you're no risk approach to recovery is Spot On.:yes:
You will regain your strength and stamina and the post THR version of @An54 will be sweet!
Hope your week is wonderful!:SUNsmile:
 
Well, @An54, I wasn't super active before surgery either--I doubt if most folks were with degrees of debilitating pain that limited one's life so badly. I tried to go to the gym regularly, although what I was able to do wasn't that much. But, I wanted to stay "in the habit" of regular exercise despite my limitations, and forced myself to just do something. I also got pretty rabid about doing daily home PT exercises in the months before surgery to keep up my strength and flexibility, but I wasn't a "jock" at all, never have been. Sounds like even with your urban lifestyle you were able to stay busy and active, and I'm sure as you continue to recover you'll do more. I've been lucky that this slower paced life hasn't affected my weight thus far, but I keep an eye on that, although probably unnecessary as I've been pretty much the same weight my entire adult life. While for now you've chosen a recovery approach that works for you, minimizing all but walking mostly, I suspect as you get further on in recovery you will want to be more active and can focus more deliberately on weight management if that is necessary. Best to you, and happy Monday!
 
@An54 Um....I think that hiking the West Coast Trail (x 3 at that!) counts as major athletic endeavour(s) plus the training for that, as is working in the bush land-surveying and tree-planting (maybe this was the training)!! Travelling to far flung places and getting on and off chicken buses also counts as an athletic endeavour in my books!!:)

I'm counting my activities of daily living in as my physical fitness program now! Anything that I can do to be a more productive member of the household and farm is appreciated by the family, so that is where I am putting my efforts in.

Living in Boston for a year, without a car and walked and took public transport everywhere. City living like that is fabulous. I admire you still doing it...I don't know if I'd have the energy :heehee:

On the Christmas thing, I do love it on a spiritual and low key social level, but before we left Bermuda, it got so out of control, that leaving the country was the only way to stop the madness!! Not the reason we moved, but was a pleasant by product. This year it will be just Hubs, me and our youngest and all the four-legged children, minus one horse who will still be in Saanich. Our daughter is starting her new job in Tofino, so won't be here on Christmas day, and our older son is working in London for three months and has used all his vacation time travelling around Europe while he is over there. We started doing a fun New Years open house here, but I'll still be recovering and Hubs may be too or still waiting...depending on when his surgery is going to be scheduled, so no open house this year. Maybe we'll have a spring fling party when we are both feeling better!
 
@An54, I am inspired by your post and news of you dancing ... and great description of the lead-follow dynamic ... I am blind enough as a lead to not have thought about a slight lead ... Love how you say you can tell what someone is like as a dancer very quickly ... So interesting ... I always start easy .. 6-count steps ... and then it becomes clear just even in 6-count that the follow can do 8-count and off I go ... Usually it's a stylish triple-step that indicates to me that the person can do 8-count.

14 weeks and dancing ... love it!!!! At my last meeting before surgery with my surgeon, he basically said he's OK with TRYING OUT a little dancing after 8 weeks ... Well, I'm almost 7 weeks in ... and I'm still not fully off the cane ... But I did do some light dancing by myself the other night. So rock and roll you!

I'm curious: you got middle-agers in your local swing dance scene? ... because the scene near me is full of young people, down to college kids, who get seriously involved in clubs and are really good. These young folks sponsor workshops, bands ... they go to workshops out of town ... There is a group in town with middle-aged and older folks, but they don't do workshops ... don't advertise very well. Anyway, I hang with the young people, but anytime I see someone over 40, let alone over 50, I run right up to them to dance.

Congratulations on your pacing and your sanity ... I think you can gradually increase your exercise ... and rebuild muscles ... there's always the challenge as we age of figuring out the pacing ... even if we're not recovering from joint replacement surgery. Overdo things ... and you can get injured ... or just plain exhausted. But from this corner, I say keep going ... I am in touch with a group of runners who have had hip replacement. Their view seems to be that they felt their body hit peak recovery and strength ... at about 15 months after surgery. That's what a lot of them report to be the time that running becomes more relaxed and natural ... 15 months ... though they typically start running long before then.

Anyway, congratulations!!!!!!!! Totally inspiring. I would have voted for your thread title to be "14 Weeks and Dancing."
 
I think it's all attainable. Maybe not to the levels of your younger years, but all still attainable.
You're doing great!
@Layla , I have really stiffened up over the decades. I can hardly believe that I used to be able to do the full lotus (yoga pose) when I was a teenager. Fast forward to my late fifties, and I could no longer even cross my legs while seated on a sofa. Fast forward again, and I'm afraid arthritis is starting to travel through my system (if it can be said to 'travel'); it has set up wee encampments in my finger knuckles. Hard to believe that I'll ever be truly flexible again, but will try to keep moving... :)


I lost a stone (14lbs) post LTHR and was not even trying to lose weight. Finally getting active again after over 3 years of limping around was all it took.
@Jaycey , If I could lose 14 pounds, I would be one happy camper. However I am particular about the kind of weight loss--I don't want to lose muscle, just the visceral fat that is parked on my belly; I can't even get into my Fat Pants right now (though have been able to ditch Hub's more commodious underpants. One seizes on the triumphs available, however minute). I'm wearing my stretchy slacks every day, combined with a top that "flows" .

happy to read updates as to your outings and think you're no risk approach to recovery is Spot On.
@Mojo333 , After reading through so many threads on this site in the early days, it occurred to me that there would nothing to lose by taking what I considered the low-risk approach.

While for now you've chosen a recovery approach that works for you, minimizing all but walking mostly, I suspect as you get further on in recovery you will want to be more active and can focus more deliberately on weight management if that is necessary.
@Barbaraj , Yes, now I am moving into the active phase of recovery, and that will include changes to eating habits as well as cranking up the activity levels. Everything done in between long RESTS of course :)

On the Christmas thing, I do love it on a spiritual and low key social level, but before we left Bermuda, it got so out of control, that leaving the country was the only way to stop the madness!!
@Alitm , I'm stopping the madness this year by jumping on a train Christmas Day! THAT's how far I will go to avoid cooking a turkey!! For the past few years I've been hosting an 'Orphans' Christmas Dinner' for the disenfranchised , new-in-town, all-alone, etc, which typically included a sister, single girl friends and the odd stray gentleman tuning up. I recently got an email from one of them, anxious to hear about Christmas plans for The Orphans. I made a quick switch to Christmas Eve Orphans' Dinner; I told her she would likely have two events to attend. I will leave it to the remaining Christmas waifs to come up with Dinner #2, while I chuggy- chug-choo-choo out of Vancouver station.... toooooot toooooooooot
 
It all sounds eminently sensible and realistic for you, @An54. You always sound so patient and deliberative in your approach to healing. I am afraid it wouldn't work for me--I'm a fidgeter--but I love reading about your ability to take things slowly and not rush into anything foolishly. Your continued good recovery is a tribute to your attitude and approach!
 
I'm curious: you got middle-agers in your local swing dance scene? ... because the scene near me is full of young people, down to college kids, who get seriously involved in clubs and are really good. These young folks sponsor workshops, bands ... they go to workshops out of town ... There is a group in town with middle-aged and older folks, but they don't do workshops ... don't advertise very well. Anyway, I hang with the young people, but anytime I see someone over 40, let alone over 50, I run right up to them to dance.

@Going4fun , The swing dancing community is mostly young people, but there are quite a few of us oldies doing it too. My regular dancing crowd includes a woman in her late 70's, and a gent in his 80's, and enough of us in our 50s and 60s to keep it comfortable. There are different venues with different crowds. I find if I attend one of the 'younger' events, I'm a real grandma there, and I have to be more assertive about getting dances --that is, watch for skill on the floor, then approach intended victim and ask for a dance. If your Swing/Lindy scene is anything like ours, everyone mixes it up, and dances with many others including total strangers. I had the best pre-op dance some months before surgery with a visiting Lindy dancer from California. That was my last best vigorous dance before my hip said "no more".

I should also mention old John, 100 years old--he is still turning up twice a week to dance at our local pub. I wonder if I can post the link to the video news coverage of his hundredth birthday celebration. Anyway, John is not part of the swing scene, but he is still dancing. We are looking forward to his 101st birthday party coming up in February, fingers crossed.

I would have voted for your thread title to be "14 Weeks and Dancing."

I guess 14 weeks and swing dancing would have been a good title. If I'm still swing dancing and pain-free at six months, maybe I'll consider a variation on the above. :)
 
It all sounds eminently sensible and realistic for you, @An54. You always sound so patient and deliberative in your approach to healing. I am afraid it wouldn't work for me--I'm a fidgeter--but I love reading about your ability to take things slowly and not rush into anything foolishly. Your continued good recovery is a tribute to your attitude and approach!

@Barbaraj , I think I'm a bit of a fidgeter too, but when I abandoned all ideas of forcing my healing progress with Applied Exercising/ physical activity, squats, etc, I replaced that with other stuff to keep my mind engaged while my body healed. I got online and read about current events until I almost went blind, and was waiting breathlessly for every new tweet out of the White House, or what one Tory (Remainer!) said about another Tory (a Brexiteer!) And such. You can shift the focus, and still carry on happily with the OCD in another dimension! I also did graphic design on computer, started back in the genealogy/ family history/DNA thing, dug up old writing/poetry and did some editing, roamed around the globe on Google Maps/Streetview... all activities that can be enjoyed from the reclined position with feet up (and ice adjacent).
 
I am in touch with a group of runners who have had hip replacement. Their view seems to be that they felt their body hit peak recovery and strength ... at about 15 months after surgery. That's what a lot of them report to be the time that running becomes more relaxed and natural ... 15 months ... though they typically start running long before then

A very helpful benchmark @Going4fun Thanks for posting! :yes!:

Love how you say you can tell what someone is like as a dancer very quickly ... So interesting ... I always start easy .. 6-count steps ... and then it becomes clear just even in 6-count that the follow can do 8-count and off I go ... Usually it's a stylish triple-step that indicates to me that the person can do 8-count.

Love reading about the dancing and the pacing of such @An54 and @Going4fun :)
 
Love the fact you change the title of your thread..... it is a great history of how to recover properly. Happy Dancing!

Ps I think i am about a month behind in recovery compared to you precisely because I did overdo the physio albeit not realising until too late. I am now the proverbial tortoise apart from walking and it is paying off.
 
I think i am about a month behind in recovery compared to you precisely because I did overdo the physio albeit not realising until too late. I am now the proverbial tortoise apart from walking and it is paying off.

@SurreyGirl , I'm sorry to hear that. But a month behind isn't that much in the greater scheme of things (we're just spring chickens compared to 100 year old John the dancer!) In six months or so, hopefully we will both be 'evened up', and living normal lives. Whether we get there as a tortoise or not, who cares? :)
 
An odd thing happened yesterday while I was out walking. This is the second time it's happened in the past couple of weeks. I got flash pains/weakness all down my op leg. It's as quick as sheet-lightning, lasts for less than a second, but all the strength goes out of my leg/knee for that brief moment. I felt that leg almost collapsing, but then the leg would fired up again before I fell. It was like someone flicking the power switch on and off for my leg. It was very disconcerting, but fortunately dissipated after about ten minutes of careful walking.
 
Can I tag Jo about this? I'm curious about what she'd have to say.
There must be a logical explanation because you're doing so well....
@An54
 
@Layla , as for tagging Jo, that's your call. (I know she is busy). I mentioned it because it's very weird--and disconcerting if it happens in a crosswalk; for a split second you wonder if you are going down--then the next split second sees a restoration of leg power. It happened about a dozen times over a few minutes. But then for the rest of the day yesterday I walked okay, two or three miles through city streets.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom