THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

@An54 I remember having something similar happen post LTHR. It felt like I was extending my leg too far in a step so that my foot was not well planted. I never fell but it really made me wonder. In my case this just disappeared so I never asked about it.
 
Wow, that would be weird, @An54, to have the flash like your leg might collapse for an instant before righting itself. I haven't had any weird symptoms so far, just normal things like a bit of swelling or aching, and a bit of stiffness sometimes when I stand up from sitting too long. I assume these will fade in time but your experience sounds a bit more frightening to me.
 
Let's ask...because we can. Jo is full of knowledge with over 50+ yrs experience in Orthopedics.
She's generous in sharing her wisdom, so let's take advantage. We all learn through her responses.
So, @Josephine what are your thoughts on An54's random shooting pains down her op leg.
Cause for concern, or not? I will look forward to Jo's response and hope you, An54, have a relaxing evening!
@An54
 
As for this shooting pain, have you been doing any new exercises (or any exercises) or any new activities?

@Josephine , I started dancing again about 10 days ago. I've had three dancing evenings so far, and I've perhaps been walking more. I went to the pool once simply to walk through the water, but I have not been doing any exercises other than daily life activities. No 'reps' of anything yet. The sudden weakness and split-second shorting out of my op leg didn't happen until about three days after a dance night, so it doesn't seem connected. I recall during the second occurrence a few days ago that I was quite stiff that day,( like many other days); however yesterday I felt looser and more limber, and yesterday evening I had a good power-walk of about a mile--really hustling because I was running late-- then some dancing, and I feel fine this morning.
 
No problems last night when Groucho and I hit the town for some Halloween antics! It was my 15 week hipaversary. Got in some dancing, and well as one Full On Swing Dance (mentioning this for @Going4fun ) with a Paleolithic-type lead with good style, super-muscular, so I had to be solid. (Does that make any sense??) But I kept up fine. It was a really fast dance, and boy was my heart pounding when I got back to my table to gulp down some cider. Older crowd, over 50, many dressed up. The band members were 60plus, and one musician's Mom was there with her friends, so Going4Fun, you asked about dancing for Oldies... I've found some sweet spots to do that. Got home at midnight. Feeling no ill effects this morning except from perhaps a bit too much cider. Can't blame that on the THR.

[Bonesmart.org] Heal first, then exercise, then dance!
[Bonesmart.org] Heal first, then exercise, then dance!
 
Cute pics! Sounds like you had a lot of fun.
Happy to hear that all the fun didn't have an ill effect on you today.
Hope the rest of your day is sweet!
@An54
 
The sudden weakness and split-second shorting out of my op leg didn't happen until about three days after a dance night, so it doesn't seem connected.
Oh really? It does to me! Very much so. Explains it all perfectly!
 
@An54, I love your descriptions of leads ... super-muscular and paliolithic ... with good style ... So ... when you say you had to be solid ... you mean you had to increase your own tension and "press back" against him so that he didn't knock you over?

I have a follow buddy who follows around this one swing band, and wow, she is super-strong and she gives me some real strong tension, so I have to up my tension with her--I wonder if this mirrors your description of your super strong guy.

I get being winded on those fast songs, especially are you're turning to the dance floor. I attended my last dance about six weeks before surgery ... lasted through the intro lesson and 35 minutes of fast dancing. My hip ached and I was gasping for air, from having danced only sporadically for the past few years.

I hope the dancing is not the cause of that sensation you're experiencing, but Josephine is usually right. I assume your body will adjust. I actually have had that sensation you felt of instability ... on and off from the start of my recovery. And yes, it seems to occur at higher and higher levels of movement. So I assume it's my muscles still recovering.

I'm jealous of you An54. And pretty cool Groucho outfit.
 
Last edited:
So ... when you say you had to be solid ... you mean you had to increase your own tension and "press back" against him so that he didn't knock you over?
@Going4fun , that's exactly what I mean. You have to stand your ground, so to speak, and everything gets cranked up. I am surprised that there could be such a delay between the dancing and the leg circuit breaker flickering, but it is likely so. We will see if I buckle two or three days from now. I feel good today.
Miserable weather, eh @Alitm ? That is, good weather for ducks. Will sit and REST at a matinee.
 
Dreadful weather @An54! My daughter arrived about an hour ago, so that makes it all better :-) Stay dry and I hope you enjoyed your matinee :) . We have to venture out to a school function this evening :swim: on the highway.

Do you think that sudden but fleeting weakness feeling is to do with residual fatigue?
 
@An54, And of course, I meant to say I hope the dancing was Not the cause of those moments you're having. But yes, Josephine is usually right.

Gotta say ... I feel like I'm seeing the other side of the world when hearing your descriptions of leads in dancing from the perspective of a follow. Love it ... feel like a part of my brain is turning on! So fun and interesting to hear.
 
A quick update for week 15: After my last swing dance (Halloween night) with Mr Paleolithic, I waited with some curiosity to see if my Op leg would 'short out' again, but it has been five days, with nothing amiss so far.

Everything feels quite normal. I walk here and there, up and down stairs, the usual daily life. On a good day. I can even get my right sock on without a sock-aid. No tweaks or pain, no meds, and I'm getting what passes for normal sleep for me. I just need to get fitter, so will start increasing the activity including more time at the pool.

I am keeping busy today transferring and hanging a bunch of my paintings for a solo exhibition coming up. Am also planning on more dancing, hoping for twice a week starting this Friday. No complaints about the timeline; looking at my calendar I see that I originally speculated my inaugural post-op dance would be November 23rd at about 4 months, but I started in late October, so it was quicker that I expected.

When I find a recommended PT person, I will book an assessment appointment for ROM and gait, etc and get some feedback. The 'surgery package' included three visits to PT; this would be the first appt.

@Going4fun , I'm aiming for big swing dance on Friday (includes lesson). I'll let you know how it goes. Keep imagining dancing--It's no doubt good for the brain, fires up the right areas :)

@Alitm yes, plenty of rain recently; we went from summer to the rainy season with a rush. Hope you didn't get flooded out.
 
Sounds like everything is on course, @An54, for resuming a full life--dancing, upcoming PT for additional assistance with ROM and gait, painting exhibitions--all good! Your "slow and steady wins the race" approach is very reassuring and sensible, and I've enjoyed reading your postings.
 
Hey, @An54, absolutely NOTHING about recovery can be characterized as "fun"! But your approach has absolutely worked for you, and now it's time to turn your attention to resuming a full and "fun" life, which you deserve--hurray for you!
 
Wonderful update @An54 ... and great news on the absence of unsteadiness after the dancing ... I have posted a dance on my calendar three months after my surgery ... so one month from now ... I don't think I'll be ready ... and I have that proudly noted on the calendar entry.

On the strangeness of recoveries, I'm almost fully off the cane ... and it's coming up on 8 weeks ... I assumed I would be off the cane at 4 weeks or 6 weeks ... But you mentioned that you can now put on sock without sock aid ... So strange: I could put on my left foot sock from day 1 ... with no aid. Yet I'm still on the cane.

Dancing twice a week--I'm so envious ... actually NOT envious ... but vicariously thrilled. And you are an artist (and a Groucho) as well. Well I'll be!

You sure you need PT? I assume you'll get great ROM and improved gait as time goes on ... as the healing deepens and your body keeps making the adjustments.
 
:wave:@An54, So glad no short circuiting post dancing, great news! :yes!: Hope you can find that recommended PT person. I've found word of mouth is usually best :)

What are your thoughts on yoga? I found it excellent for riding, as it was a total body stretching and strengthening regime. I was thinking that it might be really great for dancing too....just a thought. One has to be selective on which kind one wants to go to, but anything that gently stretches and strengthens is good. I need to work on my endurance too....so am thinking the elliptical several times a week might be helpful, when the time is right.

The other thought is to see an RMT? I have found them to be amazing, and have never found that availability at the level of expertise (I'm sure all the top level athletes have them) before I moved here. I like my gal as she is also a somatic yoga instructor.

Can you choose where you do your PT? I was told that I had to go to the hospital here, or go private! The PT dept at the hospital here is severely overloaded, and pretty much requested that if I had extended insurance, to go elsewhere!

The weather has been so windy and rainy hasn't it, but we had a fabulous day yesterday, and no rain today so far. The rest of the week is supposed to be OK...but I'm sure the report has changed from when I last looked at it. 'Tis Fall in the PNW!

Enjoy the rest of the afternoon...the :SUNsmile: is shining here now...as the dark clouds scuttle across the sky!

P.S. Found @Going4fun recovery comparisons really interesting. Not sure when I'll ever be able to tie my shoe laces again....but I was off aids faster than I thought too!
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom