TKR Happydale's Left knee, now properly installed,

that's a wonderful report Happydale ~ so glad your r.o.m. improved so much after the rolling pin and massage therapy.:thumb: you inspired me to make the blueberry muffins tonight that you posted the photo and recipe of a couple pages back. they turned out delicious although i had to make a couple adjustments as i didn't have the w.w. flour or the buttermilk (substituted milk and 1 tbsp. white vinegar), also had to bake for 10 minutes longer to get that golden brown. i was too tired to make the topping and too much of a mess all over my counter, but they are delicious just the same. thank you. btw liam was very tempted by them also, counter surfing trying to reach them, so i gave him half of one lol! he approves!:dogsniff:
 
Sara what a great report! I have just started using the rolling pin on my quad so I am hoping it helps me as much as it helped you. I am still struggling with a very "unbendy" knee so am trying to quell the frustration! Crossing my fingers and toes. So very happy for you and this progress with your ROM!
 
So glad you whipped up a batch of muffins, @liam2015. One of my pups has a wheat allergy, so although he is irritated when he doesn't get a sample of whatever is baking, I have to deny him the pleasure and give him a dog treat instead.

I really hesitate to share my ROM, because I don't want anyone to feel behind schedule. As I remind myself often, the research shows that almost everyone going through this surgery eventually gets to where they want to be. Even though early on there are big differences from person to person, by 12 months, it's in the high 90's percentage-wise of the people who are really glad they had the surgery. For my friend, it was more like 18 months, so she really continued to improve even after a year. She had a struggle, but now can walk the whole golf course. So take comfort, oh those in the Slow Benders Club....
 
That was such a great report about your PT Sara. I find it very uplifting and encouraging to hear stories about people doing it right. You definitely got a winner!
 
Sara, what a great report! I'm so glad she decided to get bendy! My left knee was 120 when I stopped PT before my second knee. After the second one I did get to 130 and figured that was it. I had an obvious lump above and lateral of my incision. Monika used this metal thing on it almost like a deep scraping. It hurt but not like making it bend type of hurt. She did it three days and I mean that lump went away. Today that knee did 133 and I think it had to do with that. The metal thingy has a name but I can't remember it. She applied quite a bit of pressure. Again it wasn't bending my knee but working on that spot. I want to make those muffins too! I printed the recipe when you posted it.:loveshwr:
 
I'd make the muffins, but...I don't want muffins hanging around my waist. I've mysteriously dropped 12 whole pounds since TKR and I'd like to keep on that track if humanly possible. Besides, DH is away on business, so if I made them, I'd hafta eat them all. Things could get ugly fast, know what I mean?

*Ahem* Since you asked, I have a proud announcement to make from "The Slow Benders Society!" Right now, live, as I am sitting here typing at my kitchen table, I suddenly realized my TKR foot was almost ALL the way UNDER my chair; yikes! I had to pinch myself! Another *out of the blue* victory, like mastering the Low Toilet Seat Bend, going down stairs foot-over-foot, and kneeling! As Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!" YES!!!
 
Happydale...i've been thinking about your update, mentioning the rolling pin device, then massage, so i pulled out my stainless steel rolling pin and tried it out on my thigh. it felt good, especially since it was cold. i was just wondering what it's supposed to accomplish? i still have swelling on my knee, probably inside as well, and wish i could find something that helps, which in turn would increase my r.o.m. i haven't been to physio for 2 weeks, but i might make an appointment to get more of the massage and tell her about the rolling pin.
 
@liam2015, I *think* the rolling pin does several things; unkinks muscle spasms, softens up a tight quad and might aid in breaking up scar tissue. It may also move the swelling around to a *better* place, but I'm not certain on that score. At any rate, it feels good and makes everything feel looser; win/win!
 
Ah, my BoneSmart friends, I have been AWOL for too long!! I had good intentions to keep my thread updated, even if just for the purpose of my own record. I had my 6 week visit with my doctor last week, and he felt everything is going fine. They never measure anything, but they just ask how I'm doing and this time I had an x-ray. I asked about the irritating click on the outer side of my knee when it bends. He thinks it's just the plastic part of the knee rubbing on the metal part. Apparently all artificial knees click a bit, but mine is extra "click-ie" right now. There is a chance of that improving as time goes on...

I seem to be going back and forth between doing too much, having a bit of a set back, then recovering and having good bend. I wish I could even that out! I loved Helen's description of having a "rotisserie night"! I can so relate to that! I've been worried about my niece who is in the path of Hurricane Irma. That is probably contributed to the "rotisserie" as much as my knee has for the last 3 nights.

I managed to drive myself to our Farmer's Market today - I went super early to beat the crowd - and I was able to get around the whole market. I'm back to making dinner every night, which feels fantastic. I still take Tylenol before bed, and once in awhile I take one in the daytime as well. I also take an Ibuprofen for swelling when that's a big issue. Still icing and elevating each day. I have only one more physical therapy appointment, and I'm both happy and scared about that! My doctor assured me that I don't need any more PT (can you imagine??). I guess I thought maybe I should be actually recovered before I give her up, but apparently the remainder of my recovery will be on me (and all of my BoneSmart friend-advisors!).
 
Great to hear from you! You're doing sooooo well! There will still be hills and valleys in this recovery. You're making forward progress and that's what counts! I find that I have a really good day, almost forget about the TKR then over do! Lol! Not sure if that is a good thing or not, but it is what it is. By this time next year, it will all be soooo much better! Promise!!
 
excellent report. enjoy your last physio appointment. as much as you enjoy it, now you will have that time to do other things. i hope your niece is safe. my niece is a flight attendant and has been on 3 volunteer flights to cuba bringing people back home. keep us updated with your latest milestones. great you could go to the farmers' market on your own today.:flwrysmile:
 
I'm glad you're doing well. It sure is easy to overdo! I too am almost finished with PT, can't say I'm sad about that though!! I hope your niece is safe from the storm.
 
So good to hear how well you're doing. I know what you mean about missing PT. Structure can feel reassuring, and you probably like the people a lot. It's exciting, though, that your OS says you don't need it. You can rehab your knee with all your daily activities as you become a busier, more active person!
 
What a wonderful report you have given us and you sure are an encouragement!
 
Well done Happydale. I am so happy for you.
Rest up now and take each day as it comes.
☺☺
Hope you like your flowers.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
Thanks so much for all of your posts @Happydale. I just gobbled all of them up from pre-op to post-op. I am facing getting my 2nd knee done in December with some trepidation. You are so positive and such a delight, it's been a real comfort to me to follow your progress.
 
Back
Top Bottom