TKR Happydale got her new knee

Good to see a fine result, I love the whole assertive approach with PT.

I'm so happy for you! You sound confident and well-informed and those two qualities are what's needed in our recoveries. I understand your unease about manipulating the kneecap. I too experienced that at PT this week but was pleasantly surprised how much it helped. Remember not to do too much. It's still early in our recoveries. It's time to toast to your successes!
:cheers:

Your informative posts are always a pleasure to read! And yes, you are remembered! I am so glad you had the courage to take a stand at PT. You have benefited much from doing it the BoneSmart way! You are an inspiration and encouragement for those coming up behind you!

Super update @Happydale ! :friends: Great info for others who are in early stages.

You're so sweet Sara! There is no way your posts would not be noticed here-!! I couldn't be happier for you and I'm sure like me, you'll be here as often as possible to help others with their recoveries! Loved reading your update- touched my heart! TY!

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 8.05.25 AM.png

What a great update. You've discovered the useful things a good PT can do for you, and you have a collaborative relationship.

Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

At 4 weeks post surgery, I am feeling so grateful and relieved. While I am sick of recovery, exercises, limitations, pain pills, and long nights, I rejoice over how good I feel.

I am three weeks post op today! Even though my PT progress has been great, I can't wait to feel as you do. I know I will feel better, because I went thru this 8 years ago. I'm just wondering when I can start feeling comfortable enough to be up and about my house for any length of time (excluding PT)?

You're doing awesome! You're such a role model!

I'm noticing over and over again, @lgobrien, that my down days are usually quickly followed by "up" days. I just got over a bit of a painful mis-step, but today I'm feeling at the top of the world.

To possibly help others, I want to share what happened today in PT. The last couple days my lower back has been killing me. I am so anxious to get a professional massage, but I didn't think I'd be able to lie comfortably on my stomach on a massage table. I told my PT about my aching back, and she offered to check it at the end of my session. She quickly diagnosed the problem, manipulated my non-surgical leg every which way, and voila! My back feels way better. I told her I forgave her for pressing on my knee cap since she made up for it with the back help.

I'm down to just Tylenol during the day and a Tramadol before bed, which is still keeping me fairly comfortable. Nights are still ugly. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's just pure run-of-the-mill trouble sleeping or if I'm not sleeping due to knee pain. I really need my naps! I also find that I'm getting more and more anxious to resume my normal activities. I'm supposed to try to walk longer outdoors, so that will be my goal for this afternoon.

It's a glorious day sitting on my backyard deck. As a special treat, a doe and her very young twin very fawns just emerged from the woods, and stood staring at me and my dog Amos. Surprisingly, Amos managed to keep his mouth shut, and the 5 of us exchanged a long-held stare before they trotted back into the woods. It gave me chills!

Sara, if there is one positive thing about this long recovery that has put a halt to our crazy, busy life, is the fact that we or at least I am learning to enjoy the simple pleasures of life that maybe I took for granted before.

I'm so glad your PT was able to help your back, our bodies are probably wondering what the heck is wrong with our posture, our walk, how we get up from a chair, etc

Enjoy your day!!!

Amen to that, Clara. I actually think the reason I'm not climbing the walls is that I've been able to pause a bit and notice many interesting and amazing things right around me.

You are doing very well. It is important to be able to see all the wonderful things around us. It helps to distract us from only thinking about our knees. I'm sure nights will start to get better for you soon.

@Happydale - thank you for sharing your recovery reports. How exciting to be doing so well. It sounds like you live in a beautiful area.

@lgobrien - I've put my leg up while dining out—go for it! A night out might be just what you need.

Isn't it rewarding to have God's creatures come out and show trust in you! I also have deer and I have loads of photos of babies! Also, possums, raccoons, bunnies and foxes. I love the country!

Very good that your therapists was able to work out your back pain. I'm finding that and hip pain is popping up on me now. I think when we get off the heavy meds, that all these other aches and pains are showing up. I haven't gone back on the anti-inflammatories. That's probably the cause of a lot of these discomforts. I'd rather stay off of them if I can. I read that they can cause heart problems. I went to herbs and vitamins that are supposed to be natural anti-inflammatories before my surgery and they were doing pretty good. But, I've not gone back on them yet because my tummy can tend to be a little grouchy still.

It's a glorious day sitting on my backyard deck. As a special treat, a doe and her very young twin very fawns just emerged from the woods, and stood staring at me and my dog Amos. Surprisingly, Amos managed to keep his mouth shut, and the 5 of us exchanged a long-held stare before they trotted back into the woods. It gave me chills!

I could just feel the sereneness in your post! We live on a 12 acre parcel and my husband has enhanced some of the deer paths through our woods to make some great hiking trails. I took my morning walk yesterday and like you, was blessed with the presence of a beautiful doe prancing across the trail. Such tranquil beauty is totally therapeutic.

@Happydale...glad things are going so well. Was the Dr from Chelsea or Ypsilanti?
Curious if your PT is in Chelsea. I had a fantastic older lady named Coleen who did my PT who worked with me while I was in rehab in Ann Arbor. She also worked in Chelsea.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

A knowledgeable, competent PT is valuable.

Don't forget all that sleep is what's allowing your body to heal. As the initial healing surge wanes, your need for sleep will diminish and energy will gradually return.

Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

@north girl , my PT Colleen is in Ann Arbor, and I'm not sure where else she has worked. My doctor is in Chelsea. I'll be headed to see him Friday for my 6 week check. I'll be anxious to see what he has to say about my recovery.

Makes me smile to see you doing so well. How wonderful to sit outdoors and see a baby deer. Take pictures, I'd love to see :)

I'd like to see pictures, too! I live in suburbia and have a tiny yard. We might see a squirrel on occasion, until the doodle scares them off :snork:.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Happy2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom