TKR Happydale got her new knee

I'm 6 months on my new Zimmer Persona and everything is great.
Congratulations on your new knee it sounds like you have everything in order. Read all the info. they give you and you will do great.

Thanks, @linney619. It's so encouraging to hear from others who are ahead of me and have no regrets. I'm glad you're doing well. It seems there aren't a lot of us with the Zimmer Persona, but I suppose all the knees are well perfected at this point.

There's one Zimmer Persona here and God willing one more next Monday.... I think that's the limit.

I had no idea what kind of knee is was given on either occasion. I found out after my original TKR when they gave me a card that indicated it. Going into my revision I just knew that my current OS didn't use the same type as the first one. I was very surprised when I saw the Xray with much longer stems and what looked like hooks on the ends and that no cement was used. No matter what it is, It works great!

Just getting caught up with your thread. Glad you got a good report from your OS.

I think I didn't switch from walker to cane until about 4 weeks, and even then, my PT told me to use my walker when I first get up from bed, either in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.

You will definitely find as time passes you will be able to do more and more for yourself. At 7 weeks hubby went out of town for a few days and I was able to do everything I needed to do to take care of myself and my daughter, including school drop offs and pick ups, shopping, cooking, cleaning, and taking myself to pt. I was very tired at the end of the day, but I was able to do it all.

As each week passes, you will take more and more steps (pun intended) towards normalcy. In the meantime, look after yourself, and avoid the overdid it club.

Thanks for checking in, @CaliGirl. I began following your progress pre-surgery and I really loved reading your posts. I'm so glad you're having such a good recovery. It's nice to see a glimmer into my future, and envision walking and driving!

Hi Sara,
Just popping in to say hello, and see how you are today. Happy to see that you are doing well so far!
Tabby xxx

Your thread is so encouraging. I am 2 years post TKA and still in pain with no answers. Can you tell me where and who did your surgery. I am being told that I need to go to Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic. However, my insurance will not cover out of state treatment.

I apologize for my lack of posting over the last couple weeks! I have been remiss and I'm anxious to have a chance to check back in with everyone. To answer your question, @north girl, I went to a super small hospital with only 100 beds in a small town of Chelsea, Michigan. I don't think they're known for their cutting edge ortho department, but I couldn't have been happier. I imagine you probably need a doctor whose practice is exclusively around correcting TKR issues rather than just doing the replacements, so maybe you should consider traveling if necessary to find the right person. I'm so sorry you're still struggling after two years.

Regarding my recovery, I have so much to report since my last update! Today marks the first day in a month that I haven't had visitors/caregivers staying with me. I am sure I'm way past due to start taking care of myself! Here I've been using a cane to assist with each step, which turns out was unnecessary. Today I just made it all over my house without the cane and had no problem. I've just been chicken. I can comfortably get in and out of the shower, do my laundry, make my food, and care for my overactive dogs. I can even eat my meals sitting in a normal chair at a table, as long as I don't stay there too long. I have my appetite back! I do move slowly, and carrying things is still a challenge. Also, I have only had a brief outing to a really close by pet store and two trips to PT. Other than that, I've been home. If it weren't for the entertainment of various friends and family in my home, I know I'd be going stir crazy. Having their company has really been a fantastic diversion and encouragement to me.

Regarding pain, I'm feeling much better in general. I have cut back to about 2 Tramadol per 24 hours, along with some Tylenol and Motrin as needed. I am still icing for pain, and often that takes care of things as well or better than the drugs. I take a cooler to bed with a big ice pack in it, and every second or third night I need it.

Usually I sleep in about 4 hour shifts, and manage to stay in bed 6-7 hours each night. I am dying to sleep on my side, but every time I try it, I last only about 15 minutes. My PT said it would be good for me to sleep on my stomach, but that is also no longer comfortable as it was pre-surgery for me.

Now onto my comments about PT. I am SO grateful for BoneSmart, and for all the knowledge I gained about PT from this site and from all of you online friends. On Monday I started outpatient PT, after literally crying when I had to say goodbye to my wonderful in-home PT. I almost felt loaded for bear when I arrived at the PT facility. I had looked at the 8 photos of the therapists at this provider online, and made my first appointment with the oldest-looking one. I am embarrassed at my stereotyping, as I'm sure plenty of young athletic PTs are fantastic. I just felt like an older person might be more understanding, as I'm not a youngster rehabbing a sports injury! Anyway, "Colleen" greeted me and asked a few questions, then wanted me to hop up on her table to get started. I said "hold your horses, there is a lot we need to work out before we start". I feel so sorry for putting her through this, but I told her I didn't want her to touch me. I went on and on about what I would allow her to do (mostly just vocally advise or demonstrate!) and what I would not allow. The poor thing was clearly taken aback. I would never have had the courage to be that direct, without hearing horror stories from so many of you!! She told me she was concerned I wouldn't have a successful recovery if I wouldn't let her do her job. But she was nice, and supportive, so we pressed on. After our discussion, she was very very gentle and explained each thing in detail. She even told me not to do anything that caused me to make a face, which was such a more descriptive way to explain what level of discomfort I should stop at. I ended up happily agreeing to allow her to adjust my pelvis, which was totally painless and immediately resolved my feeling of my surgical leg being longer. I also allowed her to wiggle my knee cap around, which was very creepy, but did not hurt. It was very tight and stuck in place, but she was ever so gentle and slow, checking each second to see if I was o.k. with what she was doing. The next time I saw her, surprise, surprise, the knee cap was all loose. In order to walk normally, our knee cap has to slide up and down. I had never known or noticed that! I have actually hated thinking about knees for my whole life. So, in the end, after two sessions I do not dread going to PT, and I feel it has helped me. I do not take pain meds before (thank you BS!), and I don't necessarily do the number of repetitions they want. I feel pretty empowered that I am in charge, and Colleen is there to use her professional expertise to help me. Phew! I can't tell you how worked up I was about PT beforehand. I am so so sorry for those of you who have been hurt by therapy, and I have truly benefited from your lessons (especially you, @Suz!).

At 4 weeks post surgery, I am feeling so grateful and relieved. While I am sick of recovery, exercises, limitations, pain pills, and long nights, I rejoice over how good I feel. Each of my days, even the rougher ones, are mostly filled with the things that make life joyful and worth living. And Colleen told me I'm doing great, which gave me such a huge boost. She even added, "and I'm not just blowing smoke, I really mean it!". For anyone reading this who is awaiting their own TKR surgery, I just wish I could take away all that fear and dread for you. I tortured myself worrying, fretting, obsessing, and "awfulizing" as I imagined lying in agony literally for a year. It hasn't been anything like that!! I'm proud of myself. I feel loved and cared for by the people I'm closest to, and even those who aren't all that close, but clearly care. And when I put my weight down on my right leg, it feels SO strong, I can't tell you. I think of the metal and cement, and how able that worthy structure is at holding up and moving the weight of my body. It's glorious, really.

Wow Wow Wow! Ok I wanna be you when I grow up next month with my new knee. I love how direct and confident you addressed PT. That threat of poor outcome will have me locked & loaded for a fight too. I can only hope to have the grace & confidence you exuded.

It brings SUCH a smile to my scardy cat lil face to read such a great and uplifting report

Keep up the great progress!

Wonderful update, so positive and encouraging, I'm really pleased for you. Thanks for sharing.
Tabby xxx

That's such a wonderful report. You are doing extremely well and you have found a PT that up is truly a great help to you. You were ready to speak up for yourself so that you didn't suffer pain and injury at the hands of someone who should help you. You will start thinking about your knee a little at a time. I find myself actually walking at a normal speed of an adult which is something I haven't done for years. You are definitely on your way!

Happydale this is fantastic! So happy to read that all the company you had during that first month worked so well. Having help like that I'm sure really helped your recovery both physically and emotionally. I love that you are moving forward now with such a positive outlook. Keep going strong

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Yes! Congratulations! Your progress is wonderful and so is your attitude. I am so happy for you that you found a PT that will listen to you.

Thank you for your affirming responses Diane, tabbycat (Margaret?), Marian, Lynn, and Amy Jo. You and many others on this forum have been such steadfast support. After not posting for so long, I was afraid nobody would notice my posts anymore. Each of you have offered wonderful encouragement to me.

@Happydale I agree with you PT can be beneficial as long as you make clear what you are willing to do and not do. My therapist is a young girl, I have actually had PT with her previously for my back, she us super sweet and patient. I agree with you, the moving of the kneecap is super creepy :yikes:

I'm so glad you are doing so well, celebrate you victories!!!

Sara -
So glad you are progressing so well! I have two more sessions with my at home PT and he has been great! He has not once pushed on me. We've taken 3 walks down to the mail box (400 foot driveway) and back up. It just keeps getting better and better. I have a hard time sitting at a table for too long too. I want so bad to go out to dinner with my husband, but not sure if I want to put my foot up on another chair :loll:while we eat dinner! Keep on, keeping on Sara! You're doing great!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Flag100
Recent bookmarks
Back