THR Happy Hippy From the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't laugh...I moved it back to September the 23rd! I have some business issues to resolve before becoming incapacitated. Nobody on here is going to believe that I'm going through with the surgery until I'm on the other side!!!

I'm so pleased to hear how well you are doing! I think all those prayers worked! Once I'm a few days away from my surgery, I'll message you. I've felt a particular closeness to you my friend!
 
@Gummy Bears thank you so much for the detail in your thread. I go in tomorrow for a lateral approach RTHR. This was all very helpful. I was wondering about the return to work date...my dr has me out for 3 months on my FMLA paperwork although we both feel that I should be able to get back to work the day after Labor Day (7 weeks). Is there a reason that you did plan to stay out longer? I do get full pay during this time (combo of disability and supplemental sick time) so maybe that plays in to it? Just curious, as it seemed to be an aggressive return to work (for which you seemed to totally "rock" by the way! Kudos). Thanks!
 
I'm so glad you've found it helpful. There's no way I could recall some of the recovery detail at this point!
Regarding the work schedule, I guess I heard of other people having awesome recoveries and returning to work soon and I was determined that was going to be me. I recovered so quickly it would have been silly for me to not be working. I guess I didn't know that ahead of time but like I said, I was determined to get my normal life back because of my young kids and the fact that summer was about to start!
I also have a lot of responsibility at my job and didn't want to be a burden on my colleagues. The HR people looked at me strange when I told them I only needed 2 weeks off (plus a week of working at home.). I think in the back of my mind I figured we could change our plans if it ended up not going so well! I do have temporary and long term disability at work but just used my time off.
Best wishes to an easy recovery to you!
 
Just a quick 12 week check in. Things are almost all back to normal. I can carry my three year old around (if needed), can carry my laptop (no more rolling luggage to work) and am actually doing a more intense workout out at the gym (spinning) then pre-op! The only thing I have not done is bend my new hip as if I was sitting Indian style (maybe slightly but not deeply, if that makes sense.) I'm going to have to work up to that Slowely! I hardly think about the hip anymore. Hope everyone is doing great!
 
@Gummy Bears you are just 10 days ahead of me.....congratulations on great success! I am hoping to get back to the gym asap....I'd love to think I could spin again. :( I haven't in a while either taken a class or even been back to the gym. Fingers crossed, I need to push thru the fear of the first trip back . Keep up the great progress.
 
@Gummy Bears
Does feel good to be exercising doesn't it? Agreed about not thinking about the hip. Even though I've only been able to 'loosen up' my restrictions, just being mostly pain-free and moving around normally, walking, driving, etc it's easy to forget the surgery.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
@donor i was also nervous to go back, and the first time wasn't perfect, you really do have to take it easy.

Btw, my new hip is way stronger than my natural hip. I think that's funny!
 
@MarkK I saw you post on another thread but didn't want to hijack their thread with my question....are you the person that posted in the pre-op area last spring (in response to others threads) that you had a 'miracle recover?' I've been trying to figure out who that was. The person gave me a lot of hope and I decided I was going to have the same experience, and I did!
 
@Gummy Bears I saw you post that you'd flown recently. How did you handle the security screening? Did you declare your hip replacement? Was there a metal detector or 'x-ray' machine?

I'll be travelling internationally in a few months, and I'm wondering about the best way to handle things--especially as someone who doesn't LOOK like a THR recipient!
 
Hi @agileHippie i was actually going to post that at 14 weeks post op I flew with just my girls (now 7 and 4) across the country. The trip has been great!

I was actually most nervous about the security. I went into a government building a few weeks ago that has security and the guard waived his wand over that area and it went crazy. Anyway, at security at the airport there wasn't a line or anything. They waived my girls to go through the metal detector and then I told the TSA guy that I had a hip replacement. I've been told I don't look like I'm 40, and by the look on his face, I think I threw him off. He kind of looked puzzled and looked around and I suggested I go through the body scanner, in which he agreed. I'm not sure what the body scanner picks up but I had no issues and went on through. It ended up being no big deal, I didn't even bother getting the card out bc Ive read no one cares to see it.

So nice to travel on a plane and not worry about the cramped space making me soar or painful and I had no trouble with the luggage or carrying my 4 year old in parts of the airport (she's really too big to be carried, hip replacement or not!)

It's so great to live life again without any issues!

Have a wonderful trip @agileHippie !!
 
Thanks Gummy! You are truly an inspiration!

Honestly, this trip--which was booked a year ago--was a major factor in the timing of my THR. I wanted to give myself as much time as possible to recover so I'd be strong and mobile enough. I think I'll be OK, but will plan to bring a cane and maybe other aids, just in case!
 
@MarkK I saw you post on another thread but didn't want to hijack their thread with my question....are you the person that posted in the pre-op area last spring (in response to others threads) that you had a 'miracle recover?' I've been trying to figure out who that was. The person gave me a lot of hope and I decided I was going to have the same experience, and I did!


Yes, that was probably me. I am about 14 months out from my second THR (and almost 3 years out from my first). I do not notice my hips any more, it is really excellent. Even my OS, who I saw for my 1 year checkup a month ago was impressed -- both by his own work and by my excellent shape, now that the surgeries are over. After the hips got good enough to not be noticed any more, I make two decisions: I go to the gym even more regularly, which helps the leg muscle strength; and I've lost some weight by modifying my diet. Easier to concentrate on a good diet with no pain to contend with. I've lost 20+ pounds, down to my high school weight now. It makes everything easier.
 
Ha, you beat me to it @JulieJF! Same to you, hippy twin!

Happy one year hippy anniversary! No regrets at all. I would tag all my other awesome friends here from BS but I gotta get up and travel to Vancouver today for work! So nice to not worry about my hip!
 
Hello all!
I went in a week ago for my one year post op check up. He said everything looks great, no need to go back for 5 years.
Question to you all! I told him about my intense spin classes and he felt like they may be a bit too much for the hip. I told him I would not go to the gym otherwise so he said it's my choice and there may be consequences (I'm assuming the part could wear down a little faster?) I think it's all the standing/running and putting weight on the wheel like you are trudging through mud. I told him I would be mindful of the weight I put on the wheel. Anyone else on here spinning post THR? And any concerns from your OS?
I also told him I was having some soreness in the muscle (smack in front of my hip - the area where he would have moved muscles aside, I had anterior.) it mostly is bothersome when I do a leg lift type motion when excersing. He said this is normal and to massage the area when I'm done working out. I did so last night and I feel a huge difference! Anyone know what the soreness is? And is there a certain Amount of time or a certain way I should be massaging it? It's not super painful, more annoying.
Hope all my hippy friends continue to do well!
 
I've taught Spinning for years with an artificial hip. I haven't run into any problems with it. I have a colleague whose THR is 15 years old. He's still teaching Spin. He's one of the best instructors I've ever known and I've been Spinning a long, looong time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I remembered someone a while back mentioned they did spinning and I was hoping you would chime in! So nothing has been a problem? Standing, running while standing, putting weight on the wheel?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom