THR Happy Hippy From the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that's great! I also am having my surgery on the right leg so I guess when the doc gives the ok and I am comfortable enough I will give it a go. Like you I will drive the neighborhood first and work my way up to driving around town.
Thank you for the quick reply:)
 
7 weeks post op. I did my first spin class tonight!! I did take it much easier then I normally would. Another one of my spin classmates was there for the first time tonight from surgery (not a joint replacement) so I was in good company. It was nice not to have any joint pain (obviously.). My incision has healed nicely but it's still slightly swollen and a bit numb. It felt a little odd while pedaling but I got used to it. The seat wasn't super comfortable, I'll have to get used to it, again.

My surgeon told me not run on it for 3 months, to lessen the chance of wearing it down (I'm not a runner, I think he just meant in-general.). When I was in the standing position on the bike, I started to wonder if that would be a problem since it kind of mimics running. On the other hand, on the bike you are putting some upper body weight on the handle bars and even though you are sort of jogging, you are in pedals and not hitting the pavement. If anyone has any insight into this, that would be great!

Hope all my Bonesmart buddies are doing well!
 
@Gummy Bears
That's awesome your spinning at 7 weeks post op!! I hope I am able to jump back into exercising after surgery as quick as you:)



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Gummy Bears so freekin awesome yay! You are just a little ahead of me tomewise. Keep up the great progress! !
 
@gummybears so glad you had a good first class! You are AMAZING!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm a personal trainer. I also teach Spinning, along with various other fitness classes. The reason surgeons warn people about running after joint replacement is related to concerns about the potential effect of high-impact activity on the longevity of artificial joints.

Spinning is not a high-impact activity, so it is not something that surgeons typically view as risky in that way. It doesn't matter that the motion of "running" on a bike may seem similar to running on the ground. It isn't the motion that is a concern. It's the impact.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @Gummy Bears! I couldn't agree more with @alexthecat! I did my first spin class last Friday (24 days past surgery.) I had talked with my PT about it and decided to try. By the end of class, I was participating completely and standing without pain. No swelling or pain pain class either.
Spinning had been shown to be a restorative exercise for knees and other joints. When you stand on the bike, it is weight bearing (like walking..and you have been doing that all along), but it has no impact. So I think it is ideal for joint replacement folks.
Follow your instincts and cues your body is giving you. Stretch carefully after.

So happy for you! Keep up the great progress and attitude!
 
We drove near your area on a trip last weekend and I thought of you guys! Harrisburg isn't a bad drive is it close to you?
 
Looking through your recovery thread gives me a lot of hope @Gummy Bears! Sounds like you've done great. Are you able to get down on the floor with your kids yet? Or more importantly... can you get up afterward? LOL. My son is 20 months and I will be scheduling bilateral anterior surgery for September - one of my biggest worries is how long it may take for me to get back to being his Mom without all kinds of pain or restrictions. Also thanks for the info on spinning - sounds like I may need to look into that for exercise once I'm down the road to recovery a bit :)
 
@kabrissette I've been able to go down and up from the floor for weeks, no problem! Every day gets a little more normal. And it's so nice to live life without planning around hip soreness and all that silliness! There's a few people on here that had bilateral shortly after me and they went back to the gym sooner than I did (part of my issue was circumstantial with traveling.) I felt very nervous before hand, eventually, just decided to go with it. I really felt I found the best surgeon in Baltimore, he's really good. Let me know if I can help you at all! ~hugs~
 
I have some random advice. For women getting anterior, try to buy some undies where the elastic does not cross over the incision area. Like high cut bikinis, although a boy short might work okay. My incision is healing great but it's still a tiny bit swollen and the elastic has been driving me nuts. Got some new undies, and problem solved!!
 
So happy to read that your recovery has gone so well. Gives all of us waiting some hope and decreases the anxiety. Driving at day 24 to work is fantastic...I'm hoping I can do that too.
 
I sat down to have my morning coffee and you came to mind. I started wondering if you felt "completely normal" now. Then I read one of your replies on another thread and saw that you rarely even think about your hip now! What great news! So, you don't have the sensation of something foreign is located within your body? :-)
 
@Cynthia777 not at all, feels like my normal hip! I accidentally jolted it a weird way today and no problems. Back to working out regularly. I'm so glad I didn't wait. Yeah for modern medicine and Dr C! This whole thing was kind of a blessing (finding the silver lining) as it's gotten me motivated to get back to the gym regularly!

I think of you at least once a day! Have you decided to go through with the Aug surgery date, yet?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom