Hamstring tendons-TIGHT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kyrea2 I agree - new shoes - old ones have worn to your old way of walking and want to put you back in it. Something you don't want to do.
 
I don't have any pain in my feet - but have definitely noticed a shift of weight distribution. I kept feeling like I was walking on the inside of my feet, until my husband told me that I used to walk with my weight completely on the outside of them. I'm guessing the shift in gait has changed as everyone has suggested above.
 
Wow, great advice. I was extremely bow leg before surgery. Left leg two inches shorter it was so turned inward the doctor said. I will get new shoes right away. Didn't think about that. My whole gait does feel so different. I will keep with the meds and ice, have been trying to cut down. Started at 8 pills a day, now at 4, but now with the feet pain, I may need go increase it. Just didn't want to get to hooked on them. Thanks again
 
I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?
Please don't keep starting new threads about your recovery.

The reasons for this are that it
1. makes it easier for guests to read the continuous story of a member's recovery - the most important reason
2. avoids people duplicating and repeating things like links to articles
3. helps us to refresh on what you've had done and when, plus what advice was given previously
5. keeps all advice previously given on hand for the poster
6. makes it unnecessary for the member to keep repeating surgery details
7. just makes it easier for everyone all round!

Thank you very much!
 
Got a question, after seeing the doctor today, I was told I will need to take an antibiotic before dental and colonoscopy work for the rest of my life to prevent infection. Do others have the same thing? Also, what if my gums start to bleed while flossing at home or (sorry about this) hemorrhoids start to act up? Didn't see this coming.
 
@Kyrea2 Yes the antibiotic before dental and colonoscopy is normal, although a study says the bacteria from dental can't go to the knee. Better safe than sorry. If you are on blood thinners that might account for the bleeding gums. Hemorroids - no clue. It might be wise to tag Josephine and ask her opinion.
 
Got a question, after seeing the doctor today, I was told I will need to take an antibiotic before dental and colonoscopy work for the rest of my life to prevent infection. Do others have the same thing? Also, what if my gums start to bleed while flossing at home or (sorry about this) hemorrhoids start to act up? Didn't see this coming.
This is definitely not a case of "better be safe than sorry". Our problems with antibiotics and resistant bugs are global and profound and caused by a lot of this kind of thinking.

There never had been any foundation for this old myth which was founded on the bbsts myth. Read the article Pumpkln left you and see that all the venerable organisations are getting behind this new thinking - that there is no evidence peri-prosthetic infections can be traced back to any of the procedures or conditions mentioned here, nor similar things. You can read more about that here
Infection: peri-prosthetic infection - also known as late onset infection
Infection: Periprosthetic infection (Scientific Articles)

The problem is that there are still an awful lot of doctors of all kinds, and dentists, who have yet to update themselves on this important topic.
 
Thanks, I will talk to my doctor about it more now. Also, I am five weeks after surgery and the doctor still has me wearing a compression stocking ankle to hip. How long do most people wear them? (Starting to inch)
 
@Kyrea2 Each doctor is different and each patient is different. We always took them off for showers and ice and elevated while the leg dryed good. Ted hose and wet legs don't get along. He had the knee high ones and only wore them about two weeks, but he has never had a problem with clots after' any of his surgeries. Be careful they don't roll on you anywhere on the leg because that cuts off circulation to some extent.
 
Thanks. They do want to roll on me at times. I'm just getting tried of the dry skin, itching and tightness they bring. I was hoping after five weeks I would be ok without them. I should just be patient I guess. I clearly understand I need to take things slow. I have so much respect for all of you who have gone through this. And two at the same time, I can only bow at your strength.
 
Late to the party, but I hope you replaced your shoes. And borrowed some patience too.... recovery is going to be a long process, particularly if you have anything you need to relearn. Its worth it, however.
 
Today I got the go ahead to start to massage my scar. What are some ideas as to what I should be rubbing into it, if anything, to help it heal? Thanks
 
Today marks six weeks from my surgery and new knee. This forum has been great following others and hearing thier stories. Right now I am dealing with trying to cut down on the pain meds. Read the library notes about them and that helped. I started six weeks ago after surgery, taking ten hydros a day and now I've got it down to four a day. I asked my doctor if I could continue until therapy ended, since I really need them before a session and at night still to sleep. He asked if I could try and cut them out by week eight. I am nervous he feels I have been on them too long, yet I saw in the library, the article said two to three months. I try to only take them when I really have pain, but still feel I need them. Will Advil or Tylenol work after eight weeks if they stop them? Other than that, I am doing ok and wish everyone here a fast and speedy recovery.
 
@Kyrea2 I use vitamin E oil on my husband's scar. If you take tylenol check all your other medications to see if they contain any. You are limited to (I believe) 3900mg a day to prevent liver damage. My husband uses tylenol occasionally after PT. Some people turn to their regular doctor if their surgeon is stingy with meds. Hope that helps.
 
Kyrea2, please don't worry about taking painkillers, you won't become addicted.
I asked my doctor if I could continue until therapy ended, since I really need them before a session
Please don't take painkillers for therapy; instead, let the onset of pain be your signal to stop. Working through pain is counterproductive.
 
Hi there. To address a couple of your questions, I too have been told to get antibiotics before any dental work (even cleaning), and any other invasive procedures, as a proactive way to prevent any infection issues.
As for compression stockings, I'm 48 and had a partial knee replacement, and I wore the compression stockings for the few days I was in the hospital, but was able to remove them after that. I put them on occasionally for the next couple days when my legs ached (they felt good) but I had no Dr. instruction to wear them a certain length of time.
My understanding is that there isn't really anything that can help the scar heal, but for a gentle massage, light mineral oil can work, and I've heard others using Vitamin E oil - getting the capsules and breaking them open to access the oil.
I'm 8 weeks post op and have some remaining Vicoden I take sometimes at night for pain to help reduce the pain when I need to sleep, but otherwise I take Advil or Aleve during the day. My Dr. isn't filling prescriptions anymore for me at this point.
Everyone is different in how they handle weaning from meds, but I know slow and steady is the best way, and not to stop if you still have pain, as that will slow your progress with strengthening and ROM.
Best of luck to you!
 
Total new knee is doing much better, but at twelve weeks out, I still have stiffness. Is it safe to use a heating blanket to warm the knee to loosen it up?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom