Bilateral TKR Halfway there...transitioning issues<<

I don't mind going through the weaning down period again. Especially since I would only be taking them 3 days.
If you are only taking the Dilaudid for so short a time, then there shouldn't be any need for weaning off.
do those TED stockings help with any of the pain or tightness, or are they just for preventing blood clots?
I doubt they would help with pain. They are primarily for anti-clots but also do help with swelling.
 
The only thing that has helped me with the vice grip tightness is compression. It's very strange to me, but it definitely helps me.

Even Velcro ice packs strapped around my knees ease that rubber band feeling.

I also have Velcro knee braces that help. I'm convinced that for me, there is something about the compression that helps that clamping feeling.

I see my Surgeon Friday and will get his thoughts. So far I am using the braces sparingly.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @mpj200
Just bought a yard of "tubigrip" at a medical supply store after reading about it on here, somewhere?

My intention was to diminish the agony of the rubber band feeling. I got some relief from a sleeve I used with an old brace. Thought I'd see if the tubigrip was even better.
I'm happy to say it did provide a lot of relief.

Not hard to find but you need to know your size. I'm s small female and choose "D" you can just buy enough for one sleeve or get a 32 ft. long roll on Amazon for only 20 bucks or so. I paid $9 at a local shop for one year to make sure it worked. Try it!!!!
 
Could it be tupigrip? So you use it like an ace bandage and wrap it around your knee? Can you reuse it daily?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tubigrip- elasticated tubular bandage. Can be re-used.
[Bonesmart.org] Halfway there...transitioning issues<<
 
Thanks @Celle. Have others also had success with this in calming that rubber band tight feeling?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have heard of some people buying an athletic sleeve that does something similar and it worked for them. That tight band feeling will get better eventually, but it does seem to take for ever.
 
i actually double over my tubigrip... loving it and can use over and over


 
I'm just looking for a temporary solution for a trip to Europe coming up in September.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Have you tried a search online for knee supports? Some of the ones you can get from the pharmacy or a sports shop would probably help. You don't need anything with stiff bracing.

Meanwhile, try wrapping an Ace bandage around your knee and see if that helps - there's not a lot of point in buying something if the bandage doesn't help.
 
I have been searching. Lots of options out there. Just curious what others have used and what has worked.

I just don't know what I should try. Too many options.

I have used an ace bandage and it helped some, but not as much as a knee brace I tried. My knee braces need replacing. The Velcro is shot. I'm having issues with both knees, although my left more than my right.

I can tell a lot of it is the rubber band tightness. But I can also tell that part of my pain is coming from areas that have not healed yet.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I only use it over my knee. Sometimes double, sometimes single layer. It helps a lot and is comfortable. Drug stores usually have quite a variety of sleeves..I got the yard of tubigrip from a local med supply store..
 
oh, I forgot... quite easy to put on yourself.
 
Thank you for the info Hopetohike!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So compression has definitely helped with the rubber band / vice grip tightness.

I'm curious how others have worked through the rubber band phase?

I had my follow up and then a second opinion from another surgeon. Both suggested my pain and tightness was coming from Scar Tissue and suggested that I start exercising regularly again. One even suggested going back into PT. I'm at 6 months post op on both knees. I opted not to go back into PT and agreed to try exercise at home and do water exercises in the pool.

It feels weird stretching through the tightness. I get sore afterwards. Usually the next day. It's not terrible. But I'm wondering if others have continued their exercises through the rubber band phase? I did not do anything except go to my office a few hours a day (M-F) for 2 months (months 4 and 5 post op) and things seemed to go backwards.

Again, I'm curious what some of you did around 6 months post op, regarding exercises while your knees were clamped with that rubber band feeling?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm about 2 weeks short of 3 months so I'm very interested in what others have to say regarding your question re to exercising with the clamp/rubber band feeling. Find compression definitely helpful but usually not for more than about 8-12 hours. I have been exercising in a pool 2-3 days/week - squats, leg extensions, walking, walking, floating, and swimming laps. My tight band feeling is becoming more tolerable however I think its d/t weekly acupuncture treatments and topical CBD oil. Look forward to hearing folks response to your question - and just wondering what advice you were given on how to handle the upcoming European trip?
 
My only issues are around the knees. Both of them. They just feel they are wrapped with rubber bands.

I'm curious how you got yours to go away? We you exercising while they were tight?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Because I had an infection which required a second surgery one month post op, I did NO exercises for a month and was in an immbolizer 24/7. No bending for a month. After the month my OS prescribed non-aggressive PT. When I asked him what that was, he gently moved my right foot about 2 inches with his foot. That type of therapy went on for another month, all that was added was pedaling on a recumbent bike. My OS said that my soft tissues didn't react to aggressive therapy at all. I did have the rubber band feeling the first month before the infection/second surgery. But what helped my rubber band feeling was doing nothing. My TKR was straight for a month and even walking was difficult. Once the immbolizer came off I just walked around the house trying to bend and doing the heel slides as my OS said.

I went back and read that Jo suggested chronic pain syndrome. Were you ever able to contact your neurologist? Also, even though water walking feels good, it provides natural resistance (think weights) which might aggravate that tight feeling. The best thing I did was get on a recumbent bike. At first I could only rock the pedals back/forth, but eventually I got a full revolution with 0 tension. Then I'd pedal every day for 5 minutes and after a week or so 10 minutes. It really helped to loosen up my knee. Three years later I now do 8 miles in 45 minutes.

I wouldn't suggest not bending for a month, but the lack of aggressive therapy helped my tight band feeling. Also when the immbolizer came off, my knee wasn't swollen at all, which helped with the bending, even though it felt stiff.
 
Back
Top Bottom