Bilateral TKR Halfway there...transitioning issues<<

I do not reuse the tegaderm film - it is waterproof so often it remains on after I bath in the AM
 
@Dzina at my local drugstore, Tegaderm pads are about $12 a box for 4, for the larger size you use. Smaller size $7.00. With both my knees replaced, it looks like it will cost about $25 a day to do this, unless I am missing something? @newlybionic and @DebM, my would has healed. This is for relief of that rubber band tightness.

I don't think cling wrap will help with that.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I get them from amazon - smaller ones (2x2.75) are $8.66 for 20 of them. Larger ones (4x4.75) are 7.29 for a 10 pack I'm only dealing with one knee and use 2 lg 1 small each night - and god bless you having both knees done - can't even imagine that!
 
Back to my recovery in general, I'm extremely frustrated. I have taken it pretty easy the past 3 months, since PT stopped. I am trying to just heal now.

I'm about to hit the 6 month post op mark. I feel worse now than I did at 3 months post op. I really feel like I have actually regressed over the past 2 months.

Has anyone else felt like they have gone backwards around this time frame?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If your wound has healed then I am confused as to what the application of a wound dressing (adherent pads and Tegaderm) is going to do to help your knee 'rubber band feeling'?
The cling wrap stops the irritation of a sensitive knee by bedclothes/pants etc, which could described in many different words eg burning, aching, tightness etc.
The cling film technique should never be used on open wounds/scabs.
 
She said the dressing helped her with the tightness/clamp. I'm willing to try anything.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back to my last question. I'm extremely frustrated. I have taken it pretty easy the past 3 months, since PT stopped. I am trying to just heal now.

I'm about to hit the 6 month post op mark. I feel worse now than I did at 3 months post op. I really feel like I have actually regressed over the past 2 months.

Has anyone else felt like they have gone backwards around this time frame?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Any advice for traveling overseas with pain after Bilateral Knee Replacement ? I'm seeing my surgeon Friday. It's my 6 month post op. In 6 more weeks (early September) I'm going to Europe from the US for 2 weeks.

I feel like my recovery has got worse the past 2 months. More pain and less range of motion. But I'm off Dilaudid.

Any tips for travelling with pain? This is the trip of a lifetime for me. Free trip for 2 weeks travelling as a guest of The Rolling Stones. It's a once in a lifetime trip for me and I'm stressed I'm still going to be in pain when I leave September 10.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Have you tried any non pharmaceutical pain relievers?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes. 3 anti inflammatory ones. None helped. I can't take Tylenol because it reacts with another medication I'm on (Lipitor).

And I just weaned off of Dilaudid. That's the only thing that helped. I have a few tablets left. I have to work 3 days on the trip, where I'm on my feet. . The rest I'm able to sit a good bit. Thinking about taking a few Dilaudid on the days I will be on my feet.

I've also tried Tramadol. Was just taking it at night and it didn't help. I may try taking it every 6 hours and see if that helps. Also thinking about stoping Lipitor for a few weeks so I can take Tylenol with the Tramadol.

Don't really know which would be best.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mpj200 - I had a left TKR on Jan. 3 and I feel that I've been going backwards for the past month or two. I'm definitely not better than I was before surgery. I still have pain most of the time, can't walk far or cycle and I still need to go down stairs one foot at a time. My bend was 110 degrees the last time I was measured. It seems about the same. I don't know if I'll ever recover, though. I can take Tylenol, but I'm learning but I'm certainly not glad I had the operation.

As a huge Rolling Stones fan, I sure hope your knees will let you have a wonderful time on tour with them!

Please post what your surgeon tells you. I'm not due too see mine until January when we'll check knee #1 and talk about having knee #2 done. But I won't rush after this first operation/abnormal (according to my family doctor) recovery."

In some ways I wish I'd had a bilateral. My Dad had both knees replaced at the same time and he did great. I would hate the thought of a second operation!
 
I can empathise with that annoying tight clamp feeling. Like you it gets worse as the day progresses. You took photos of your knee while flat on your bed. Do you get more bend when sitting? I do.
As to the feelingthat one has regressed. It just happened to me this morning. Last week no problem at all standing up/ getting out of bed.
Today: very bad pain doing the same. Felt like week 2. Grmph. I find it hard to stay positive when that happens. I complain almost every night to my DH about undertaking this op but he reminds me what it was like before the operation.
We're planning a 5 week tour of S.America in November and I'll be at the 6 month post op part.
Not unlike your upcoming trip to Europe.
I hope it will be a good trip. If you can get those TED stockings, do consider wearing them on the long flight. OTOH if you are taking anticoagulants, you might not need them.
Best wishes all around.
 
I'm sorry to hear you feel you've regressed. I hope it's just a feeling (we all get a bit frustrated) and that you have merely hit a plateau. Would your OS or GP give you a supply of your painkiller of choice, Dilaudid or an opioid, just for the trip? To take if needed? Also, maybe a brace of some kind might help on a temporary basis. Just a thought. I have no experience traveling with a BTKR, just with traveling with two horrible arthritic knees. I've traveled the world with those, pre-surgery, and really appreciated having painkillers. Having ice available, or access to ice packs, is also a big help.
 
Also, maybe a brace of some kind might help on a temporary basis....Having ice available, or access to ice packs, is also a big help.

Yes, I have a cheap pair of braces now that I try not to use much, but they definitely help. I wear them on work days for 1-2 hours or so. I'm going to talk to my Surgeon Friday about getting something more specialized/medical grade for my knees. And will also be buying ice packs when I get there.

I don't think my Dr will give me another refill of Dilaudid. Because I was taking them for over 5 months. But I'm going to ask for sure. I don't mind going through the weaning down period again. Especially since I would only be taking them 3 days.



Bi-Lateral TKR February 7, 2017
Sent from iPhone
Excuse typos
 
@BW54 do those TED stockings help with any of the pain or tightness, or are they just for preventing blood clots?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I just commented on another thread that my dad began wearing compression socks after his 2nd TKR and wears them everyday now. He says they help his legs feel better and not ache as much. My dad had two of the easiest TKR recoveries I've seen.
 
@mpj200 - It's unusual to be taking Dilaudid for so long post-op and you shouldn't be needing braces either.

When you get back from your holiday, if things are no better, if I were you, I'd be asking my surgeon why things are taking so long for you, and possibly considering seeking a second opinion.
Although it may simply be that the tight band feeling is lasting a long while because you are doing too much with your knees. I've read back to the first page of your recovery thread, in May, and I see that even then you were doing a lot, wondering if you should back off the exercises , and asking about sleeves to help with the tight band feeling.

I'm going to ask @Josephine for her opinion.
 
It sure does feel unusual. I know that my pain is a combination of the rubber band, vice grip tightness that starts the second I get out of bed and start walking.....and healing issues.

I know that tightness will eventually go away. And I know that will help. I just can't tell how much other pain is not related to the tightness.

I will say that I really only took Dilaudid for about 3 months for pain, the past 2½ months have been weaning off. It's very difficult for me to avoid withdrawal, so I've been weaning slowly.

But none the less, I am approaching 6 month and it's still painful for me to walk. Every step hurts so I elevate as much as possible all day.

And I don't think I could survive without the braces. I wear them to drive to work and for the transition back home. I only work 3-4 hours a day.

I believe it's the compression that helps the most. Even Velcro ice pads wrapped around my knees make it easier to walk.

I'd like to try some compression socks/wraps that go over my knees. The compression really seems to help. But only for a few hours at a time. Where do you buy them?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom