Guest viewing is limited

TKR Had a difficult time, feeling better<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvelous progress! Enjoy those hills! The hills are alive with the sound of clicking....
 
Wow! Mamazip you are an inspiration to those of us like me still back in the rehab forest!! So happy for you!!
 
Going up and down those stairs numerous times is quite a feat! Hooray for you!
 
Aww guys, thanks so much for the cheering squad.....not supposed to do multiple tags, but thanks Laylahips, Tabbycat, greatlakes, Tnlady, sistersinhim, uva55. It's great to have a cheering squad. You guys know how hard this recovery has been for me. I truly appreciate and am greatful for the support and encouragement from everyone on Bonesmart. Thank goodness I found this site.

Last night I went to a chorus I've rejoined, a small local one with people I know. For the first time, I heard stories about friends of friends who had difficult and prolonged recoveries from kneesurgeries...up to two years In one case. Funny how I never heard those stories before...so there are many people out there who did not bounce back so quickly. Of course I hope it's not due to the Canadian system of having to wait a year and a half after suffering for years and then making the decision and having to wait that long time. I would have likewise just be coming up on the list now if I hadn't gone to Washington for my surgery. I shudder to think how in pain I'd have been waiting, as well as the aftermath.

But right now it's all good. No complaints from the knee after the marathon day.

@Floridagal my chorus will be singing about 10 little pieces and, like you, I have lots of music to learn. All are different so big challenge. It's a very small group wth only 3 basses and 3 tenors. The men are hard to recruit! More females as usual!
 
I have to practice my singing with my leg up. We have 15 songs and some are HARD! We have over 90 singers but the bass section is our weakest. I love that there are lots of altos so if I mess up it won't be heard. We have about eight kids and they have a song that just they sing. Everybody loves them.
 
Love the picture I'm getting of all the tkn buddies singing their hearts out with one leg propped way up on cushions!
 
:rotfl: @greatlakes that's funny!

I made my first ever Banana bread today! I used Diane's recipe, thank you @dianehelen for that. It was easy and it's delicious. I'll be tackling @Tabbycat s recipe next. I figured out, Tabby, that mixed spice is similar to pumpkin pie spice here and I got the ingredients of mixed spice online. It's lovely to have this community where we learn all kinds of things in addition to recovery.. Oh yes, I also made beef bone broth using @Suz recipe. Thanks Suz!

The baking (which I never do) followed a lovely day wandering around town, looking at stuff, doing some errands, sitting in Starbucks having coffee and pound cake and enjoying my free wifi, and in general having a normal day. I still find I am walking a bit wobbly.....and I know I need to do a major shoe shopping for the upcoming winter. I love my boots and am perturbed that they will probably not be comfy any more. Having a normal day feels so, so good.
:happydance:
 
So glad you liked the banana bread. I'm all about easy recipes, that use as few ingredients as necessary and actually taste good.

Sounds like you are really having more good than bad these days. That is such great news to hear. Makes me look forward to the future more

Hope today is another good one :SUNsmile:
 
Yup, @dianehelen the good days are arriving for me and they will for you as well. You are already making good progress.
:wow:

The recipe was easy which is all I can do as well. I've never been a baker except for my hippie bread baking days long ago, so this was doable with good results.

I just received the vionics I sent for. This is the first time I've ever ordered shoes online! The size feels right but there is that arch support that will take some getting used to. Although I've been feeling the need for arch support this feels a bit strange. I'll take everyone's suggestion to accustom myself gradually in the house first. I hope they work. They are purple and gray. Cute.
 
Wow you are doing really well! I haven't been online for a few days and it sounds like that knee is doing its job.

Do break in Vionics slowly. I love mine and bought a few pairs to get me through my October surgery and recovery. I can't wear my old orthotics or any of my old shoes - they hurt my leg and new knee. My podiatrist wants to see me about 6 months after my other knee surgery to check the need for orthotics. He said I may not need them!
 
I wore the Vionics around the house for 2 days and they felt wonderfully comfy. So today they went out for a sidewalk test and they are great. Fully support my arches comfortably and just fit so well. I wonder if they have them in our newly opened DSW.

Thanks for the Vionics info. So far on Bone Smart I have learned how to rehab a knee and all the varieties of normal, how to make bone broth, and 2 kinds of banana bread, the second of which I will make this weekend (tabbycat's recipe). This is a wonderful forum of supportive people with all kinds of info.

I still can't walk for long distances without stopping. I find I have to stop every few blocks for a few minutes. I suppose it's just a matter of patiently increasing my stamina. That word "patience" seems to come up a lot. I guess that baking, making bone broth, and tonight my very favorite spicy Indian chickpeas with a hundred different ingredients ( or so it seemed) counts as patience, standing up mixing, chopping, measuring, etc, tasting could count as patience I sure couldn't, wouldn't have done this a month ago.

And I just remembered how painful it was to drive BEFORE my RTKR. I'd totally forgotten about that! It was agony and I did medicate before hand to take the edge off. Don't ask! I have no discomfort driving now. It's just a bit achy getting out of the car.

Upward. Onward. I have blissfully forgotten the pre op pain, so this complicated my recovery too...why did I have the surgery, it wasn't so bad, etc, etc. well now I remember a biggie. That, and the excruciating lock up of the knee when going from sitting to standing, where my leg would just give way and I'd let out a scream.
Yeah, that's gone.

It's now 4:15 AM, so time to try to sleep.
 
So happy to see you progressing. You sure have gone the rough road with this. But hopefully that makes this victory even sweeter. May you keep just getting better and better as the days progress.
 
@mamazipp
So pleased you've found really comfy shoes, they are bound to make walking easier. I've never heard of them, but a quick search on the interweb shows the nearest shop is in Penarth, about 40 minutes away, and I can look at the designs on the net.
It's really encouraging to read that you are still making progress after several months, and able to do more things. That gives me hope!
I hope you like the recipe. Don't expect a loaf that you cut and butter, it's more like a moist,rich, fruity, crumbly cake. Enjoy your cooking!
 
@dianehelen thank you. Yes, it's been a hard won recovery. But it keeps on getting better.

@Tabbycat I'm feeling cautiously optimistic that improvement keeps on happening so it can happen to you too. Forewarned about the banana "cake"!

Another milestone today......
I spilled coffee while walking on the carpet. Just bought a new carpet spot cleaner and went to try it out. Without thinking I got on my knees to apply it and then realized I'd not done that since surgery, or before for that matter. I spent a few seconds thinking, hmmm, what do I do now, can I get up? Then I decided to get up by putting my weight on the TKR leg to see what happened. I got up WITH NO PAIN. I am quite amazed! Stairs hurt but I can put weight on my thigh with no pain?
Makes me wonder if that last little stair climbing pain is nerve pain which was what set back my recovery in the first place.
But, hey, I'll take any new achievement.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
wow that sounds amazing. I cant remember how many years its been since I was able to get on my knees, if I had to guess its probably around 30 years... Im soo happy for you.
 
Nope, me either can't and hasn't been able to kneel for over 20 years. You did wonderful mamazipp!
 
Congrats mamazipp on getting onto your knees-I'm looking forward to that day! The PT asked if I tried it, so did it on the padded therapy table, and then realized my knee is still numb on the outer side of my incision, so I am not getting the "feedback" I need to feel comfortable in that position. So, a future goal.

Also, I need a bone broth recipe! Did you say someone here gave it to you? I tried making it last year and it wasn't the best, would love a good recipe (did paleo type diet off and on for a couple of years, need to get back to healthy eating, been on a dairy queen kick to reward myself post surgery!)
 
Yeah, it sounds like you're starting to 'live' again! :yahoo:
 
That is great...I actually dropped the cap to my perfume bottle under my dresser and I was afraid to kneel on my tkr knee, I used my other knee only, but used the tkr knee to help me up, I just have looked very funny doing this. I was just scared to do anything that would start a pain cycle:shocked:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom