TKR Greda's recovery story<<

I live alone with my dog, and went through both TKRs by myself. I did have help from a few good friends, plus people from my church took turns giving me rides to/from the hospital and various other places. One friend watched my dog while I was in the hospital. Several people from my church brought me meals my first week home, so I didn't have to cook. Prior to both my surgeries, I stocked up on non perishable items, including applesauce cups, and soft granola bars. These came in handy if I needed to take a pain pill at night, and didn't want to walk downstairs to the kitchen. I also carried a small tote bag on my walker, with my phone and charger, my tablet and charger, pain pills, the granola bars, and bottle of water. I also brought the bag upstairs at night and kept it next to my bed.

I made sure my house was free of tripping hazards. Next to my recliner, I have an end table, which I used to keep my phone and TV remote, plus more water. I have a fenced in yard, so my dog could go potty, and run around and get exercise without having to be walked. Several friends live nearby, in case I needed help with anything. It is possible to get through this process alone and be ok!!
 
Two weeks after I had my first knee replacement, my husband had to go away for 3 weeks on business.

With forward planning, I managed just fine. My husband stocked up on non-perishable foods for me and I ordered perishable food to be delivered by the supermarket, at a minimal cost. I had already frozen some meals and I did use TV dinners once or twice.

I used a taxi service for my appointments with the surgeon, a neighbour checked on me daily and took me out a couple of times, and my husband and I talked daily.

Actually, I quite enjoyed my own company, and not having to fit in with anyone else's expectations.
 
Thank you for your support and suggestions. At the time he told me about the trip I was just exhausted and could not imagine anymore stuff going on. I have slept the last two days quite a bit. We have cats that don’t get along so we have to put one up when the other is out. I usually do that but since the surgery my husband has tried and has not had the greatest luck. I usually have to carry one of the cats upstairs 3-4 times a day. It is tiring but not as hard as I thought it would be.
My appt with my surgeon is today at 3:30. I have lots to tell him and not sure how it will be received. We just moved here and I don’t have the same relationship as I had with my previous surgeon. I have found that I can walk pretty well unassisted. I use a cane when I first get up but after a few steps I am fine. Probably having to carry the cats has helped. Today my knee and calf and foot feel like they are burning up. Even with ice on they feel so hot.
We will see how this surgeon responds to me quitting pt. I refuse to go through what happened last week again.
 
I saw the pa again. I told her everything from how bad pain control was and the terrible pt visit. She apologized that there was a mistake about the pain meds. I was given the wrong prescription. She was sympathetic and was surprised at the pt incident. I told her how it caused swelling and I was unable to do anything after the pt. She looked at my knee and agreed it looked good and not much swelling. She saw me walking down the hall without the cane. She lifted me leg and asked if I could hold it. I didn’t know if I could but I did. Everything else she asked me to do I could do.
Then I told her I was not going to pt. I was going to continue what I was doing. She was ok with it. The x-rays looked good. The staples were removed. I go back in a month. Before I left I cancelled all my pt appts for the month. I feel better and am happy to do this the bonesmart way.
 
Great report!

Even though technically we don’t need their approval to stop PT it sure does left a weight off our shoulders when we do get their OK! Great job!

And the wrong medication?:yikes: :blackcloud:
 
You'll be fine alone. Many of us went through this recovery alone, me included. It just takes some planning. Have him get enough meds, food, etc. before he leaves. At almost a month out, you'll be able to do the things you need to do to take care of yourself.
True. And like Jockette said, if you have a friend or other family member who can stop in here and there you'll be fine. I had friends who would bring me some groceries here and there and my sister was my angel because she'd come to me on a Saturday to help with groceries or laundry at first. Even though I could do quite a bit if I had to it was nice to have the help for a couple of hours a week, so I didn't overdo.
But basic ADLs were fine on my own.
 
The good thing about being alone after TKR (I live alone) is that you can do everything to your own schedule - sleep when you want, eat when you want, moan and complain when you want.
ADL's are manageable - just make sure you are stocked up on pain meds. I use a supermarket delivery service for regular food input. I've found I quite enjoy online grocery shopping, and I can get it all - frozen stuffs, deli, fresh fruit and veg.......
I did taxi to the pool last week which was a nice break, and both taxi drivers were very helpful with bags and crutches. It adds up money wise though.
The down side of being alone is frustration and boredom - no one listens or sympathises when you want to moan and complain, there's no one there to do all the little things for you eg make a cup of tea, fetch something you've forgotten, move the cats!. Make sure you have a good supply of books/movies/crafts/whatever gets you through to hand. Regular phone calls, texts etc also help you stay sane. Friends who can visit and/or take you out are a bonus and a godsend!

Glad you had a PT win too!
 
It has been a tough night and day. I could not get comfortable last night and was up until 1 am. I woke up at 4 am. My knee has been tight and achy all night and day. My biggest issue is trying to elevate. I can not get comfortable and have tried different things to elevate my leg and just can’t stand it. I have been walking but since last night have tried to not walk as much up and down the stairs (maybe that is why my knee is so unhappy). My leg is so hot even with ice on it I feel like it is burning up. I am tired but can’t sleep.
I finished the eliquis and was told I could start taking ibuprofen and hope that helps.
 
I am going to tag @Josephine
our forum administrator and nurse director to address these concerns:
My biggest issue is trying to elevate. I can not get comfortable and have tried different things to elevate my leg and just can’t stand it. I have been walking but since last night have tried to not walk as much up and down the stairs (maybe that is why my knee is so unhappy). My leg is so hot even with ice on it I feel like it is burning up. I am tired but can’t sleep.
I finished the eliquis and was told I could start taking ibuprofen and hope that helps.
 
My biggest issue is trying to elevate. I can not get comfortable and have tried different things to elevate my leg and just can’t stand it.
Tell me, are you trying to elevate with your knee completely straight? Like this

[Bonesmart.org] Greda's recovery story<<


If so, then don't! No doubt you were told not to bend your knees at all but this is unnatural. Our knees weren't designed to spend all the time out straight. And it's not going to result in a stiff knee if you put a little bend in it like these

[Bonesmart.org] Greda's recovery story<<



I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
I ended up having a migraine yesterday and it is still slightly there today. At least the nausea is gone. I was too nauseous to take my pain meds last night. I think it was part of the reason for feeling so bad.

I have been elevating like it says on the article. I ordered the lounge Dr but it just doesn’t seem to feel right either. I think because whenever a bad headache is coming it helps to lay on the side that hurts. I am hoping once it passes things will be better. I usually have 2-4 headaches a month and was hoping it would wait a bit but no such luck.

@Josephine I answered questions earlier but really think the bad headache is the issue. I can answer again. Just hoping this headache will end.
 
:console2:I have had some really bad headaches, you have my sympathy.
 
I ordered another size lounge Dr and hopefully that will make the difference.
 
Most people love the lounge doctor, but not everyone. We are all different.

If this next one doesn’t feel good, try pinning pillows together, or another type of wedge.

Here are some other options:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/elevation-the-dos-and-donts.7602/

My knee was one of the few that didn’t like the lounge doctor, but my knee is very picky.

My hospital sent an elevating wedge home with me. I didn’t like it at first, it was painful to have my leg up on it, but as my leg began to heal I came to love it and still sleep on it every night.

So maybe in a week or two you might like the lounge doctor better, when you’ve begun to heal. Right now your leg is still very upset.
 
We will see how this surgeon responds to me quitting pt
Don't mention it unless he asks. If he does ask, just say that you felt the PT was doing more harm than good and since it's your knee you made the decision to stop going.
 
I finally slept last night for about 5 hrs. I have been so cold I think it is the icing. Without icing my knee feels so hot like it is burning up and hurting. With icing I am freezing. I have started wearing the warmest pants and long sleeves plus a hoodie. I have so many covers on you would think it was winter. It is weird for my leg to feel so hot and the rest of me so cold.
I am walking about every hour when I am awake. I have started caring for the cats so I will be prepared when my husband goes out of town. I still haven’t attempted the stairs the correct way. I haven’t been able to walk on steps correctly for 5 years so I am not going to rush. I have been able to carry the 2 cats who think they can’t walk upstairs. I am feeling better about my husband being gone, still wish he could stay home.
 
Back
Top Bottom