TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

I do! I hadn't realized that the staples were uncomfortable until they were gone. Now if I can get rid of the fear of my knee shooting open! Lol

Unfortunately it can pop open. Mine did, right in the center of the knee where it bends. Then to make it worse, it got infection where it popped opened. Just had another surgery 4 days ago to clean out infection and re-staple the knee. So, back to square one!!

Be careful !!
 
Unfortunately it can pop open. Mine did, right in the center of the knee where it bends. Then to make it worse, it got infection where it popped opened. Just had another surgery 4 days ago to clean out infection and re-staple the knee. So, back to square one!!

Be careful !!
!!!!! How shocking! I hope it all clears up for you and that it's the end of complications. My incision looks good and closed now, not so afraid of it opening up. Feel better
 
I see my surgeon tomorrow morning. I hope he is pleased with my progress, I am. I don't have a large ROM yet but I will be three weeks out on Tuesday. I have very little pain, have been doing lots of elevating and icing. Sleeping is a challenge but only at night! I have no trouble having nice long naps during the day. I am walking well with a frame and sometimes a few steps without at home. I would be hugely disappointed of there is mention of an MUA or much more aggressive PT. Wish me luck. I will let you know how I make out.
 
Good luck with your checkup and remember it's your knee and you have the final say so of what happens to it!
 
As I wait behind a curtain for my appointment with my surgeon I overheard him talking to the woman in the cubicle next to mine. She's come a long way for her appointment and her surgery was six weeks ago. I overheard her asking him if she might have hurt the knee when she stumbled earlier on. I hear him reassuring her that the prosthetic is very strong and it's highly unlikely that she would hurt it. He explains that she should not worry about her ROM, that it will continue to improve for a year and beyond. His words are like music to my ears and I feel like crying. He is so gentle and encouraging. When he comes to me, he asks to see the incision. I pull my legging up and show him. He recoils a little and says is that six weeks ago? I say no, that it will be three weeks tomorrow. He asks about extension and I show him flat. He pleased with that and then asks about flexion. I show him and he starts telling me that I need to do the exercises and push through the pain, that it may hurt but I won't damage my new knee. What? What happened to you'll continue to increase over the next year? It hasn't been three weeks yet! In an effort to deflect him I ask when I can go in the pool. Probably next week. I have another appointment to see him first week in January. Hopefully he'll be happier with my progress then. Can you tell that I'm a little disappointed?
 
I'm so sorry that your OS was not more reassuring for you. It's so disappointing when that happens and much as it shouldn't matter what they say, it does . . .it's natural to want to please our surgeon and/or our PT. I think you are doing great for 3 weeks and you should feel very proud of yourself - despite your surgeon. I'll bet by January you have improved immensely in lots of ways (and if your ROM is not to his standards, so what). Hang in there :console2:. I had one of those visits with my first TKR and I cried afterwards for a short time -- then I said :censored: him and continued to recover in the way that worked best for me.
 
I was so afraid this would happen, it often does. Reread your post from earlier about how well you said you are doing. And you are doing great!!

Sometimes I think checkups are a waste of everyone’s time, especially if we come away upset. I was always so stressed about my appointments. Next time, I just might not go as often as they want, especially if I’m happy with where I am in recovery.

I’ve said this before, all I really need a surgeon for is to install my new hardware. Bonesmart can take it from there! :heehee:
 
Thank you both! I do love bonesmart, so supportive. I'm still happy with the job he did, he an excellent surgeon. I'll just have to show him!!
 
I remember how stressful it was to have my first appointment after my tkr. Once I found out the xrays turned out good, I was thrilled. I could have skipped the next two appointments if I had wanted to because they were just a waste of time. Unless of problems, I probably won't go back after that first checkup after my next one.
 
Tonight I'm going to try sleeping on the couch. The back cushions come off and it turns into a good size single bed. I've been on the recliner but now only getting about 4 hours a night. I'm a little tired! I'm set up now with my wedge, my ice machine and soon my CPAP. I need a good night!
 
I hope it goes well for you!
 
Well that didn't work out as anticipated! I settled in quite comfortably and was able to get to sleep at a reasonable time. Then I woke up - as if on schedule - three and a half hours later. I was awake for about an hour and then slept for another hour. It was better on the recliner. Oh well, it was worth a try.
 
It’s the only way I can give you a hug. I’m glad it worked!
 
Those sleepless nights are the pits. Sleep whenever you can, not matter what time it is. Your body needs that sleep.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom