TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

I had a much better sleep back in the recliner. It may have to do with upper body being elevated. Saw my PCP today and she took the staples out. Quite a few were deeply embedded but I survived the removal! I have had to put a dressing on part of the incision due to persistent bleeding. It looks better tonight though. She also gave me a prescription for enough T3s to carry me through to my appointment with my OS next Monday. I shall use my CPAP machine tonight and hope for a good night. I am icing and elevating almost constantly but ensure that I get up and walk every hour. Today I even got a little dusting done. I also used the aluminum pie plate to try to get some frictionless bend. Still quite down at the back of my knee so I'll ice that tomorrow and see what happens. That's me at two weeks out. G'nite all
 
I slept in my recliner for 5-6 weeks. Had my legs elevated on lounge doctor and ice cuff on. It was wonderful.
Began trying bed in short doses until I was comfy all night.
Do whatever it takes to get your rest.
 
Thanks beachy! Yes I too elevate on a wedge I bought from Amazon and have been icing almost non stop. That is really good pain control, isn't it? I managed quite a few hours sleep last night and that felt good. Last night I ended up turning the ice machine off as I was freezing! I'm medicated and icing now.
 
I'm medicated and icing now too LOL!
Just a little too long on my feet this morning. Icing does help so much, but chills you to the bone. I have a king size fleece blanket that I fold in half and cover myself from chin to toes when icing. I've also tried a heating pad on my belly and that helps.

I'm almost 8 weeks and can go without icing longer than before. But, sometimes, especially after more activities I need the good old ice machine.
You must feel great without those staples!
 
I do! I hadn't realized that the staples were uncomfortable until they were gone. Now if I can get rid of the fear of my knee shooting open! Lol
 
Now if I can get rid of the fear of my knee shooting open! Lol
Your knee won't pop open again. It has been carefully stitched together in several layers.

The staples were only holding the top layer of skin together. everything beneath that is still secured with sutures that will gradually dissolve as your knee continues to heal.
Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?
 
Thank you @Celle ! Intellectually I know it won't open up but the poor thing looks so vulnerable there and precarious! Oh well, it's not the first leap of faith, is it?!?
 
Your knee won't pop open again. It has been carefully stitched together in several layers.

The staples were only holding the top layer of skin together. everything beneath that is still secured with sutures that will gradually dissolve as your knee continues to heal.
Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?

Interesting article! I guess my wound won't be popping open after all. Thanks for posting!
 
Many have found an electric throw helps a lot with the chilled feeling. I understand completely about being too cold. I had my tkr in June and during my recovery it was in the 90s and I would have to go outside and stand for a few minutes to warm up!
 
Horrible night last night! Well, no pain but just couldn't get more than 45 minutes sleep in a row! It was bound to happen, wasn't it? I am bored to tears but so limited in what I can do. Still icing and elevating most of the day. I'm okay to shower, get a small meal together - I'm talking eggs and toast - doing cleanup after my sweetie prepares dinner. Still a tight band around my knee which prevents me from getting ROM. I'm just over two weeks in so not unhappy with my mobility but I am bored. My staples came out this week and it all looks pretty good. Doing lots of napping and most reading is here, reading recovery threads. I'm really doing well and I know it. Just blowing off a little stream.
 
It's a little bit early to be moving to a cane, but I think you'll do it gradually, when you find you're leaving your walker behind as you move around the house. Once you start feeling confident enough to hold on to a piece of furniture instead of the walker, you can give the cane a try - but just around the house to start with.

There's no need to rush to get off the walker. Keep using it if you feel safer doing that.
 
t's so easy to fall into the trap of thinking you should be further along - I've done that and probably so has almost everyone else.

Let your knee take its time and don't feel you have to rush. You'll still get there in the same amount of time, but possibly without the added pressure of conforming to expectations.
 
Must've been something in the air last night as I had the same horrible lack of sleep. Maybe tonight will be better :fingersx:. I never used crutches with either TKR --- I waited until I felt confident enough to move to the cane -- I was worried I would slip or trip with the crutches. I'm about a week ahead of you and use the cane comfortably around the house but generally have the walker when venturing out -- too much walking causes my quad to buckle and the walker is better support -- also with the snow and ice I feel more secure with the walker. I expect I'll ditch it in the next couple of weeks.
 
Canes and walkers are nothing but safety equipment. They need to be used to assure your safety. When you feel confident enough, you'll switch to the cane. Even now, I still have a cane in my car 'just in case'! I don't look at it as a slow recovery because I am recovered! But, I look at that cane as something I can use if I need to. That's the way your walker is. It's there to help you. There's is no time limit at all for switching off of it. Your safety in the main thing. You do not want to fall!
 
Finally had a great sleep last night! Turned in at 11:30, up at 2 for a pee and meds and then out until 7:30! Funny what a good night will do for you. My poor husband looks at me in my 'nest' and all he can think of is how bored I must be. I don't actually feel that bored at all. Between seeing to my personal hygiene, refilling the ice machine, seeing to small meals for myself, and catching up on bonesmart, my days are reasonably full. Oh, I forgot snoozing! That's a big part of my day too! Wish it was a little nicer out, I wouldn't mind some fresh air. But if I keep in mind the 22 steps each way... Maybe if it gets sunny today I'll go for a little walk. Every day I check my flexion to see where I'm at. I'm still very tight so not too good yet. But I am having no trouble lifting my leg when standing. What I mean is when I'm standing and with my walker I lift my operated leg sort of like a marching movement. I can bring it up so that my thigh is at about 90 degrees to my hip. Leg just kind of dangles there. It almost looks like 90 degrees there but I don't think that's how they measure, is it?
Here I go onto my action packed day! Lol have a good day everyone!
 
Glad you slept better last night - I did as well. What a difference it makes in our outlook and mood.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom