Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

I think this is one of the internal stitches from your knee surgery. I had a small piece some out like that. I called my OS and he put a sterile drape on my leg and clipped it with sterile scissors. He felt that by clipping it with anything else you increased the chance of getting an infection. I would not touch it anymore and would call you OS to deal with issues like this.
 
I tugged on it a little with tweezers but it wouldn't come free so I pulled it as much as I could and clipped it off so the rest would go back under the skin. This is completely different than the ones my body spit out with my 1st knee. Those were much finer. This is heavy duty so I'm thinking it was used to stitch the muscles back together.
This is the wrong thing to do. You should always bet your doctor or his PA to see to it. This suture material is from a deeper muscle than those used just under the skin, therefore thicker. These thick sutures, when soaked in blood and dried, acquire razor sharp ends which will readily cut their way through the skin.

Word of warning - never ever deal with them yourself. They need to be dealt with under sterile conditions as Kelly described and with sterile instruments. The doctor/PA would also just pull on it and cut it as short as they can so it disappears beneath the skin. But there is a quite a risk of infection doing it your way so do tell your surgeon about it and send him that photo so he knows what happened.
 
@Josephine Thanks but no worries. I cleaned my tweezers and scissor really well with rubbing alcohol. Everything seems to be fine. I'm curious though, how much should I have bet them to look at it? :giggle: I need to check your thread to see how your own recovery is going. Well, I hope :)
 
Hi @gr82cu2, just popping in to say hello. I don't log on here very often but thought I would see how you were doing. It sounds like you are feeling much better than the last time I read your thread. Maybe one day, life will be "normal" for us again, lol. I certainly hope so!!
 
@Jazzy4564 Hey, sorry for the delay. I've had company this weekend :) Yes, I'm doing quite a bit better. Still battling the stiffness and all that comes with it but little by little things are improving. I was out shopping with my sister yesterday for a couple of hours and felt extremely stiff and sore even though I was trying to stretch my legs a lot but once we got home and I got off my feet for awhile everything was fine. Being able to sleep in bed again is absolute heaven. I still haven't forgotten about meeting up for lunch sometime. How have you been getting along?
 
I realized it's been awhile since I updated my own progress, LOL! I think that's a good thing. Life is slowly returning to normal.

I've had absolutely zero problems from trimming my own stitch a couple of weeks ago and so far it hasn't reared it's ugly head again.

I completed PT on 12/30/14 and continue to do well on my own. At last measure my left knee was 125 and my right was 112 but I can now bend my right knee very close to what I can do with my left so that has improved quite a bit over the past few weeks.

My right knee still won't completely straighten which remains the biggest obstacle, in my mind. I don't particularly notice it that much unless I'm standing still. Because it won't straighten, it forces my weight onto my left leg which gets unhappy if that goes on for very long. I continue to work on my extension exercises for that knee and I do feel it is very slowly improving so I'll get there eventually.

Swelling is now practically non existent in my left knee and it looks and feels like a normal human knee with the exception of some residual stiffness in the tendons. It never hurts now but does get uncomfortable occasionally. My right knee is still mildly swollen and the swelling extends down into my lower leg both front and back but it is gradually taking on a more normal knee shape, little by little. The only time I would describe my right knee as painful now is if I'm up standing and walking around on it for too long (my limit is now up to about 90-120 minutes) but even that doesn't require pain meds beyond Tylenol. Usually if I just sit down with my legs up for a short time that fixes things and I'm good to go again. I've reduced icing quite a bit and now only ice maybe once a day for 15 minutes or so, usually in the evening after the day is done. It got to the point where it didn't seem to reduce what little swelling was remaining and in fact makes my leg feel stiffer if I do it too much. Ice served me very well with both my legs for a long time though and I'm a huge advocate of it's use, especially early in recovery. It not only reduces swelling but is a great pain reliever. Not to mention it aborted many hot flashes in the summer for me, haha!

Now my challenge for myself is to lose weight and get some muscle mass back in my legs. I have lost over 6# in the past couple of weeks and today, in spite of the cold, I got out and walked about 1/2 mile. It's not much but I think if I start out slow and take it easy I will be able to build up from that. I'm scared to death of falling so I won't be walking if there is ice or snow on the ground. Our housing addition got freshly paved streets this past summer so the surface is smooth and safe otherwise.

While I still have a lot of recovery ahead me, I will be out dancing in the streets the day my knees no longer feel stiff and tight and I no longer think of them. It is a wonderful thing though that the grinding, horrid pain of bone on bone is gone, not to mention my knees locking up on me many times a day, trying to trip me and throw me to the ground. I don't miss that at all! I finally feel, after almost 6 months since I had my first TKR that there is a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel :)

I will forever be grateful for all the support I have received here from both the members and moderators. I would have felt so lost and hopeless without all of you. I hope everyone else is doing well! (((Hugs)))
 
Great report Robyn,
I know you've had quite the journey with both knees and it's good to hear things are finally getting better!
I know that this web site has been invaluable in preparing me for my journey and I'm grateful to all the smarties for posting about their experiences, good and bad.
Wishing you continued good progress.
(((Hugs)))
Karen
 
What a good report, Janet! :yay::happydance::yes!:

I'm glad you're doing so well, particularly since you had a difficult time with your second knee. I'm sure that full extension will come, given time. You can keep working on it at home. Have you come across this?
Extension: exercises for improvement

Best wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
A really positive report. Thanks so much. It's great to read how well people do even when they have a difficult start to their recovery. I remember reading your early reports.
I agree totally with your comments about ice, my constant companion for 4 weeks, but I hardly use it now, a half hour with knee elevated sorts things out.
Good luck with your continuing recovery. What a great summer you can look forward to.
 
@kaw205 I'll give you a pass on calling me Robyn :) Drugs may have something to do with it, LOL! I'm happy you seem to be doing so well early in your recovery. Hang in there, the 1st few weeks are the worst for the pain and then it steadily improves.

@Celle Thanks, I've tried and been working with most of those. As I was out walking today I was very conscious of taking full strides and straightening my right leg behind me. I think I'm getting pretty close so hopefully soon it will be there. I was spoiled with my first leg because it was at 0 from the beginning and now is -4 hyperextension which is surprisingly helpful when just standing. I never would have thought it pre TKR.

@SuperSnapper Thank you so much! I have a need to travel so once I feel like I'm fully in the home stretch I can start planning again. I have a trip to Las Vegas scheduled in March for my sister and myself. That will be the test for bigger things. We're dying to get back to Europe! Last spring we combined a transatlantic cruise to Europe with a mediterranean cruise as well as stays in Paris, Florence and Rome and were gone for 6 weeks. It was the final nail in the coffin for my knees but I was scared if I didn't go before I had my knees replaced I might not ever make it. It was a dream of ours for many years and a promise we made ourselves once hubby retired. We did it! I was in a lot of pain but it was so worth it and now I can't wait to go back and be knee pain free!!
 
@gr82cu2 I really enjoyed Florence! We are planning a return trip to Venice this year. Last year we went to Lake Como - rented a little apartment for a week and had a lovely relaxing holiday. We've been to Italy quite a few times, my husbands family are from Genoa. I hope you enjoy your trip to Vegas. My daughter has been there and is always telling me I'd love it too.
There are so many places I haven't been and want to see. We went to New Zealand when I retired. Oh my goodness! what a beautiful country. My hobby is photography and I came back with 32gb of photos from that trip!
At least the knees won't stop us now!
 
That just makes them "socially clean". They should be sterile.
True enough Josephine but the thing is this happened late afternoon. There would have been zero chance to see my OS that day and I thought it was better to clip it and let it go back under the skin where it wouldn't serve as a wick for whatever buggies might be floating around to enter my knee. Like I said, absolutely zero bad effects from doing what I did. Would I recommend it for everyone? No, I feel I did what was right for me at that particular time.
 
@SuperSnapper My desire to return to Florence for an extended stay is off the charts! Venice is on my radar for next time too. I have a friend that lives in New Zealand and I have an open invitation to come any time. If I ever think I could endure the ridiculously long flights from here I might just go. It's nice to think the knees will never hold us back again :)
 
Go to New Zealand! You will not regret it. I didn't like the flights either but they were so worth the effort!
 
Yes Janet, do come to NZ!
I came here in 1968, on a 2-year work contract - and I've lived here ever since.
 
@Celle, I really want to. Truly I do. My friend lives at the beach and sends enticing pictures all the time. It's about a 30 hour trip from here which I find daunting to be honest. It took me 30 years to commit to going to Europe because of the flight time but I did it! So, we'll see :)
 
You're getting there. Just keep practicing with the extension like you're doing.
 
@gr82cu2 I would go to New Zealand in a heartbeat! Take me with you and I promise to help you get through that long flight!! I'm glad you are doing well - you've come so far over the last few months!!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom