@gr82cu2 Hope your swelling is down! It is odd how some people seem to have a lot more swelling than others. I wonder what the difference is in the surgeries and recovery that makes the difference. Hubby was one of the lucky ones that didn't swell much.
@gr82cu2 glad you got out for lunch even if it did cause some swelling. Hopefully by now the swelling is not as bad. Sometimes we just have to do something to distract us from the knee. Just not too much too often. Sleep well and have a good weekend.
@tiredwife@Minnie's knees The swelling was better today but not better than before I went out yesterday. It will continue to come down, I'm sure. I had PT this afternoon and Michelle had me do my 1st leg presses and also a new exercise to help my extension. The other things were what we usually always do. I came home and took an almost 2 hour nap It's an ugly, cold, rainy day here so why not?
@tiredwife, @gr82cu2, well here's another difference with my OS. He doesn't want any weights used in rehab. I remember Christine telling me that in the very beginning. One of the assistants in rehab asked me one day who my OSwas. When I told her she commented how good he was and that's who she would go to if she had to have the surgery. I told her my horror story about the first PT place I went to. She said if I had stayed there my doctor would have given them an earfull. Then she went on to say that he does the most TKR and THR in the state, and even with being so busy, he is the only OS that calls to talk to the therapist about what they are doing with his patients.
@gr82cu2, You just let me know when you feel like venturing out to meet for lunch and we can get that arranged! I know it feels good to get out of the house. I'm doing okay with working. The sitting doesn't bother my leg like it did earlier in my recovery but I have to remind myself to get up and move around hourly because it gets really stiff if I don't. I'm still having pain in one area and was thinking of visiting my PT again to talk to her about it. I saw a lady who works at the PT office on Friday night while hubby and I were eating out so I thought it must be a sign, lol. I went over and asked her if she remembered me and she said she did and even got my name right. We talked and she said to call her Monday and she would schedule a free consult with Leslie, my PT. I want to have her measure my ROM and extension to see how those are doing and also see if there are any exercises I can do to help the pain I am having. Hope you are feeling better. I am so looking forward to a pain free future and I know you are too!!!
@Yorkimom she had me use a rubber band type thing. It was attached to a big machine (that had nothing to do with this exercise, it was just attached to it) and I put my leg inside the loop of band with my knee bent and the band just taught enough to hold it at the back crease of my knee. Then I would pull my knee back to straighten my leg which pulled the band. Sort of like a resistance thing, I guess. I'm not sure how that differs from just standing with your knee bent and then straightening it other than the resistance of the band. The time I notice my leg not straightening the most for some reason is when I'm in the shower. I guess because it's narrower in there and that leg won't straighten which causes me to shift onto my left leg and then I feel all crooked, LOL. Otherwise, when I walk I barely notice it and when I set with my legs out in front of me like on the sofa I can barely feel any space between my knee and the couch cushion. But, when I stand with my knees as straight as possible and look down at them it is obvious the right one isn't nearly as straight as the left.
@Jazzy4564 Hi Cheryl. I definitely will do that. I'm not sure how much longer till I can drive. Right now I'm still taking narcotics so for that reason alone I don't want to drive. Physically I think I would be able to but Kent won't let me. He says it's his "job". That's nice that they will let you have a free consult with your PT. I hope she is able to determine the source of your continuing pain and a way to work it out. It will also be nice for you to be measured to see how you have improved on your own. Let me know how it goes and what you find out.
@gr82cu2, they had me do that exercise for my other knee but not this one. I don't know why. A new exercise that she has me doing for extension is she has me use a real soft ball (like you can squeeze it). If you put your hands together to make a circle it's a little larger than that. Anyway you stand with your back against the wall and you put the ball behind your knee. Then you push your leg back against the ball straightening your leg. You hold for a count of 10 and I do it 20 times. Where I really feel this one is all around my knee cap.
@tiredwife #1 is stiff but not painfully stiff. I think it's bending ok at a degree I can live with. The skin and surrounding area is back to being soft now and moveable. There isn't a lot of swelling left in it. Some, but not much. #2 is not a whole lot different than 2 weeks ago. It is still quite painful, swollen and painfully stiff. The bad place on the incision is still there and looking the same. Some of the other scabs have come off though. It's weird because parts of it look 100% healed but not that place. The scab is still very thick and the area around it is tender. Pain is worst in the morning first thing and then again late evening towards bed time. I'm still taking Percocet and Tramadol for the pain 4 times a day mostly. I ice it tons and keep off it for the most part. I've treated this 2nd knee very different from the 1st one because it has been so painful. About the only exercises I do at home consist of walking from the couch to the bathroom and from the couch to the kitchen and right back. I do stretch it and bend it many times through the day just because it feels like it needs to move but otherwise I'm not doing any formal exercises at home. I feel like I should but at the same time I'm scared of making it swell more and it's bad enough as it is. Swelling will only make it less bendable and more painful. My muscles (quad, calf and hamstring) have been very, very tight with #2 and they weren't that much with #1. I notice it mostly after I've been off my leg for awhile and then get up and stand still on it. Walking a little usually seems to work it out though. My little jaunt out into the real world on Thursday confirmed that it doesn't take much activity to cause it to swell back up. My ankle is feeling mostly normal now though as well as my foot. I still have tourniquet pain in my inner and outer thigh which sometimes sets in as constant ache and when it does I use the heating pad on it for 10-15 minutes and that seems to fix it again for awhile. Other than all of that, I'm fine and dandy
@gr82cu2 At least knee 1 seems to be doing better. I think your main concern should be getting the swelling down and keeping it down! As long as you are doing some heel slides and working on the extension that is enough because you have PT. Have you had your hubby rub the area of the tourniquet pain? On hubby I could feel a huge knot in the muscle and I rubbed it every day and eventually got rid of it. He had a bigger knot on leg 1 than leg 2.
@gr82cu2, Janet have you measured knee #1 compared to knee #2? They don't ever say much to me anymore about swelling but my knee looks much bigger than my other knee. I measured them yesterday in two places - right above the knee and across the knee cap. Knee #2 is 2 inches bigger than knee #1 in both places!!!!!
@Yorkimom I have but not in a couple of weeks. In the beginning it was 3" bigger but has come down considerably since then. I can tell just by looking it is still bigger but it is still quite swollen especially right in the knee joint area. It is hard with swelling. I remember with the 1st one, wondering if my knee was hard now because that's just the way it is but eventually it has settled down and to the touch feels like a real knee. When I bend it I can feel the joint open up even. But this 2nd one, nope, not yet! It's so tight when I bend it it turns white and is hard as a rock all over. Even my skin won't move and seems stuck but #1 was that way too for a long time.
@gr82cu2, yes mine feels the same way too. It is so tight but it is a little better than a few weeks ago. I am still so worried about my bending. I go to my OS on the 16th and I'll be anxious to see what he says. I only have a couple more weeks of PT.
For the past week or so when I try to bend my knee more I feel discomfort in the knee, but it really hurts along the back outer side of my knee. The pain just grabs me and I can't bend it any farther. Then afterward I just feel an achy pain in that area.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.