TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

Hi Janet I am so sorry to hear how much you have had to deal with for this surgery . I was reading a post that @tired wife sent to me today and she explained that you were having a difficult time so I wanted to come by and tell you that i wish that things will turn around for you. How much we have to handle with this type of surgery on top of having the surgery and knowing the reason so many of us value being part of bone smart is because of the wonderful people here who really really understand how it feels to have this surgery. No one really knows no matter how much they try just how much pain this can cause us.

With the amount of surgeries performed there must be an easier way of telling what medications should be given and understanding that the need for the pain medication is to because of the amount of pain not because we like to take it.

I had a very hard time with my first knee not because of the knee but because of the people who did pt and the excessive swelling lack of bend and lack of understanding from people who should have had compassion bone smart friends along with my wonderful husband were the ones who helped me along.

Your husband must feel frustrated at the lack of proper care you are receiving and how frustrating for you to have to be in so much pain and no help.

Wishing for you that you get a break with all of this as they say each knee is different and it is so unfair that you are having so many things happening. My first replacement was very painful after the first few days at home no issues in the hospital with pain other then pain in the back of my knee never expected what was to come hoping this next surgery will be different then my first and hoping for the best.

Wishing you the best hope to hear that your situation will change for the best and that the people who are supposed to be taking care of you will wake up and do a better job of keeping you comfortable and pain free. All the best of wishes for better things to come for your recovery Holly
 
Sorry to hear about all the hospital issues. I just got caught up on your thread. I'm so glad you were able to go home and I hope you start feeling better soon. I wanted to comment on your angel Lois. Every night when I drove to work (when I worked at the hospital) I would say a quick prayer that I would make a positive difference in someone's life that night. It sounds like Lois did exactly that every time she worked. It is so nice to hear of great experiences with nurses. I certainly hope your OS improves his bedside manner- he should take lessons from Lois!
 
Janet @gr82cu2

My goodness! I have just gone back to day 1 of your surgery and read all this. At one point, I was actually thinking about jumping in my car and heading to Indy! It's not that far and I was petrified for you! it sounds like things are starting to calm down a bit, at least I am praying so. Please don't hesitate to go back to the ER, call your doc, or for that matter, call another doc if these problems persist! This surgery is tremendous, but you already knew that.

Thinking about you, praying for you, seeing you surrounded in light and healing quickly!

Mary
 
@gr82cu2 I'm home from my mini getaway and I wanted to check in to say hi and wish you a comfortable day. I'm sure the meds are making you sleepy - but it's probably also your body that needs the rest after everything you've gone through the past few days. The fact that you're able to sleep so much also means that your pain control is better, which makes me happy :)
 
@gr82cu2 good morning. I hope you are still :sleeep: and :ice:. Your body needs to catch up after everything you have been through. I just wanted you to know I am still thinking about you.
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
Good to hear you have managed to get some sleep what a shock to our bodies this whole surgery process must be our bodies must wonder what happened. Hope you are getting some help with the pain and understanding from the people who are involved that you need kind care and this is the biggest part to me of getting through this surgery. My surgeon understood more about me when he realized just what had been happening not sure till then how I felt about him or if he was aware of how much pain I was really in but now know he will make this time around less crazy. Great that you have the nurse you write about she is obviously very good at her job as part of being in the medical profession is the ability along with the medical part to realize that every one that passes through their care deserves the best treatment they can possibly give. Hoping that your new knee and you to have a much easier time now and that the worst is behind you. All the best wishes for you Holly
 
I better write you all an update quickly while I'm awake. This has been brutal and 10x worse than the first one so far. I am taking the slow release Oxycontin every 8 hours but only 1 oxycodone and 1 tramadol every 6 hours and still cannot stay awake. It has to be the anemia. Once it goes away I sure hope it never returns. I told Kent I can't remember ever being this miserable. He jumped my case for halving my other pain meds but as sleepy as I am I wouldn't be awake at all and besides I still haven't had a poo so I need to cut back for that reason alone, if no other. I've taken 2 double doses of Miralax each day I've been home which has always worked before so I don't know what is going on. I'm drinking tons of water too.

My leg is extremely swollen and the bruises are fully blooming now. Boy howdy! I just went and changed my pj's and undies and burst out crying. I'm even bruised up on my rib cage and the side of my right boob for heaven's sake. I asked Dr. Randolph to please ask his assistants to be gentle. I guess that plea didn't get very far. My entire leg is turning black, including all of my foot with the exception of my toes as of now. I've been elevated nearly 24/7 since I got home and iced as much. I even had ice wrapped around my lower leg for a good while today. My leg is not bending or straightening nearly as well as last time and I'm leaning much harder on my walker when I'm up walking with it. It kills my back and hips to be up because I'm in such a strange posture. My left leg seems to have re-swollen some but not too awfully bad. My new leg's ankle feels like it's tightly wrapped in an ace bandage and I can hardly flex it at all. My knee is so hot it is melting ice packs at an astonishing rate. They usually last me close to 3 hours but have barely last an hour this time.

I've been hungry but haven't felt like eating much once food is in front of me. Maybe I'll lose that 10# I gained with the 1st one.

I'm nodding off again so will go but wanted to thank you all for your prayers and well wishes and to give you a little update. Sorry it's not a good, positive sounding one.

xox
 
@gr82cu2, Oh Janet you poor thing. I can't understand why they can't be more gentle when they are in the operating room, especially when you talked to your OS about this. I wish I had more to say except keep doing what you are doing. I know you are worried about ROM, as we all always are, but that will Comecon time. Right now you just have to concentrate on doing what you are doing by icing, elevating and resting. Hopefully the iron will kick in and you will have more energy. Nothing much will change until the swelling goes down and I pray that it happens quickly. Please know that you are still in my prayers. Anne
 
Dear Janet @gr82cu2

My heart aches for you and the suffering you continue to experience.
The situation is so very traumatic and should never have left you like this.

My thoughts and sincere prayers are with you,
Cathie x
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, the bruises sound terrible but thankfully they will fade with time. I am sorry you are not getting much relief yet from the pain and stiffness. I wish there was something we could do to make it better for you. I'll keep praying and you know we are here for you. Please don't feel bad about posting your updates and true feelings. You are such a positive person and have helped many people here, now it's your turn to receive support. Hope You feel better soon!
 
@gr82cu2, this might sound extreme, but thinking about it, I think you should have Kent take pictures of all your bruises,including your ribs and breast to let the doctor see just what they did to you!! Yes bruising is normal with this surgery, but not to that extreme. I really wish I could do something to make things easier for you. Sending hugs, Anne
 
(((Janet))) gentle hugs I can't tell you how bad I feel for you with all this unnecessary suffering. Thank goodness you had Kent with you and Lois reappeared.
 
@gr82cu2 I am thinking you should see another OS. Maybe he/she can give you some advise or at least see if something was done that shouldn't have been. Your OS doesn't really seem to care. At least go to your regular doctor so he/ she can see what was done to you. This whole thing isn't good, or normal. I agree with Anne, get some photos just in case. I wish I had a magic wand I could wave and make it all better!
 
@tiredwife ... it would be fairly difficult to see a new surgeon this soon after an operation. Most doctors will not accept a patient until some time has passed. I think the best option is to continue on the program of icing, elevation and pain meds. Be sure and bring your GP into the loop about what is going on (as well as any other specialists you may have). When you see your surgeon the next time (and maybe even with any phone conversations you need to have), get your hubby to be present and help advocate for you. The idea of the photos of the body bruises would be helpful for the discussion about your treatment. Nothing says it like a good visual.

@gr82cu2 ... I am so sorry you are having so much trouble. I know you don't like to sleep so much, but it may be that your body needs all that rest right now. So, let your body rule for now and take good care of yourself. Things will get better!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom