TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2
So Happy you are Home :) Glad you got your med's. Right.
Have a Peaceful Night :sleep:
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

Love,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
@gr82cu2 so glad you are home and got a nap.Sorry Kent had to go through that with your meds. My hospital forgot to refrigerate my insulin as they were using their own. Keep an eye on your temp but hopefully that will settle down as you are able to relax. Know that I am here for you and will continue to pray for you.
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@gr82cu2
So glad you are home. You really gave us a scare there! Should make you feel great that you are so popular here on Bonesmart! It's easy for all of us to see through your posts what a genuinely nice, caring person you are, and with a sense of humor to boot! You are truly a joy to know. I hope you are able to be comfortable at home and that the pain and swelling will decrease rapidly.

Take good care of yourself! :chillpill::ice::sleeep::elevate:
((HUGS)) :console2:
Connie
 
@Josephine Something very weird is happening this morning. My fingers, especially my ring finger, on my left hand is not working right at all. I can barely type because of it. It's like the fingers are drooping. I have no numbness or tingling. It does feel sort of weak and like the weakness is coming from my wrist area, maybe??? I can make a fist and squeeze fine with that hand. When i straighten my fingers that ring finger gradually droops back down. I've tried stretching it and Kent got me a cat toy mouse to squeeze but it made no difference. He couldn't tell any difference when I squeezed his hand with my right or left hand. Any ideas?

gr82cu2 said: ↑
how do we know the implant didn't loosen or shift or something?
Most unlikely that would have happened. And even if it did it would be the cause of this gross swelling. So don't worry about that. I'm sorry Jo, did you mean it wouldn't be the cause of gross swelling?
gr82cu2 said: ↑
He more or less shook his finger at me about all the pain meds I've been given and I still complain of pain.
That sounds like an experience my sister had when she had her knee done. I was working with her surgeon at the time and I really let him have it with both barrels next time I saw him in theatre! I have to say, they were much more generous with the pain meds this time but I was in a lot more pain this time. I remember at some point saying something about it to Darrell, the PA and he said they had actually gotten in trouble for under medicating their patients. My prior experience proved they were IMO. At another point, I thanked my OS for the better pain control this time and he said they had "ramped" them all up!
gr82cu2 said: ↑
I've read countless times how arrogant surgeons are so maybe that's it.(why they are so defensive)
Some surgeons just hate having to admit they don't know why something has happened. Could never figure out why as I would respect any person prepared to admit that in any circumstances. Absolutely, and I would too. At least it would be a show of more compassion.
gr82cu2 said: ↑
I remember in the OR, the anesthesiologist sticking the needle in my back and asking if my leg felt heavy or numb at all. I answered a very clear NO. Then I remember nothing after that. I assume they immediately knocked me out. When I woke up in recovery I was immediately moaning, crying and trying to rub my leg. It hurt soooo bad. And I wished they had just amputated it. It was that bad! Someone came over and said I shouldn't be feeling pain because I'd had that block. Well, guess what genius? It didn't work!! So, they called in an anesthesiologist who injected something into my upper thigh (I can still see the needle puncture so it must have been a big needle) and pronounced to me I would feel all better in a minute. Well, that didn't work either. Several times since then my OS has brought up the fact that they just started using this procedure and overall people are feeling much better.
Can't think why as this sounds to me like a bog-standard spinal which didn't work as sometimes happens if the anaesthetist bungles it, and he had to give you a general which is why you woke up in pain. I am shocked that a) he never made it clear to the recovery staff that the spinal had failed and b) never did the femoral block straight away anyway while you were out. But then he bungled that as well so he is obviously a gasman to avoid! I started thinking about this yesterday and how my OS said they just started it the first of the month. Well, my surgeon only does knees on Tuesdays and I was the first of the day so how could he know people were happier or did better????? I would have been his first case of the month!
gr82cu2 said: ↑
While I was in the potty she got my bed all straightened out. There is almost nothing in the world I hate more than a dishevelled bed with blankets and sheets all rumpled up. It makes me crazy. I would aks the others to straighten it but they would just sort of pick them up, shake them out and throw them back down on the bed.
I'm with you there! I too hate a rumpled bed. I have elastic strainers on my sheets to keep them straight! Right performance it is getting them on each week too!

However, for patients I was always a perfectionist. It's the same with dressings. I have a theory that if patients see untidy dressings (or bed) they will feel perhaps the surgery was similarly untidy! But I am so pleased your friend was able to make you comfortable. It makes all the difference. I've always said it's like sleeping in a bag of rags.

Now about your swelling - it's patently obvious you have a propensity to swell badly and that should have been taken into account by ALL your carers. But then I know you know that! But because of that, again you know, you should have had extreme elevation right from the start, even before this started.

I did wonder, since you mentioned that your dressings had to be packed over because of bleeding, if you probably had a bleed and that was what caused this. Have you developed any bruising? My knee cap area is badly bruised and hadn't been nearly so bad with TKR#1

However, I think the most likely thing that happened to you is compartment syndrome which it seems nobody took into account. Compartment syndrome occurs when excessive pressure builds up inside an enclosed space in the body such as the knee. The dangerously high pressure impedes the flow of blood to and from the affected area. The tough walls of fascia cannot easily expand, and compartment pressure rises, preventing adequate blood flow to tissues inside the compartment often resulting in the foot being cold and/or numb. Symptoms are excessive pain and swelling with a cold and/or numb ankle and foot. Immediate, and even preventative, treatment is extreme elevation! Typically with CS, pain killers are ineffective. I might add I've nurse one or two patients with CS in my time. Anyone having any kind of knee surgery is potentially at risk of CS and all those caring for them should be informed and on the alert at all times even though it is actually an extremely rare complication. It sure sounds like this Jo except I've never had any numbness, tingling or coldness. They checked for that several times a day.
 
@gr82cu2 good morning! Sorry you are having an issue with your fingers you have already been through so much in last couple of days. I hope you were able to sleep last night and that today is a better day. (((Hugs)))
 
@gr82cu2 Hope you are doing better today! You would think a hospital that is mainly for stuff like TKRs would be able to handle things better! Steve had his done in just a regular hospital and they seemed to be more on top of things. Doesn't seem right. I am just grateful his OS would listen and was not stingy with the pain meds.
Glad you are at home and can get cozy in your nest. I am very glad this time you have enough meds. Hope in a couple of days the swelling will be all gone. That needs to be your main focus - getting rid of that swelling, not much PT, just enough to keep movement. I will be so very glad when you can get on with a normal life, you have had such a rough time of it. Take care of yourself!
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
Janet @gr82cu2

Dear Janet only reading your Friday post now.
My thoughts, prayers and heart are with you during this undeserved painful time that you are having.

Cathie x
 
Hi Janet @gr82cu2

Have now read your posts and am caught up.

So glad that you are home and settling into to your 'comfort den'.

The dropping fingers would seem to be a concern and hopefully Josephine will have an answer, or if you are still concerned to ring your family doctor.

You have been through so much with the surgery, it time that things start going your way and that you find relief from the pain.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@gr82cu2 if that symptom with your finger does not change I would call the doctor I feel so bad for you for the things you have been going threw still praying for you as want you on the road to recovery
 
one time he could not remember my birthday

Uh oh!!! That's not cool! A husband should never forget his wife's birthday or their anniversary.

Welcome home - glad you are sleeping.

Not only am I sleeping, I can't stay awake for more than about 30 minutes. I doze off for 1-2 hours and wake up feeling awake and within 30 minutes I'm nodding back off again. I wonder if it's the slow release oxycontin sending out little doses of med?

Glad you got your med's. Right.
Oh, me too! Since this one is so much more painful and swollen than the last I would never get through it without the heavier meds they allowed me this time.

My hospital forgot to refrigerate my insulin

I hope they at least replaced your insulin for you!

I drove right by the OrthoIndy hospital Wednesday on my way to Carmel to a meeting.

Really? I would say I wished you would have stopped by for a visit but I was a hot mess that day. My pain was out of control and I was sobbing breathlessly like an idiot.....well, an idiot in a heap of pain. Maybe some day we can plan to meet up for lunch on a weekend or something?

Should make you feel great that you are so popular here on Bonesmart! It's easy for all of us to see through your posts what a genuinely nice, caring person you are, and with a sense of humor to boot! You are truly a joy to know.
My motto has pretty much always been, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Besides, it's a whole lot easier and a more pleasant journey through life to be nice :)

Hope in a couple of days the swelling will be all gone.
It won't be. Swelling takes forever to go away for me. I'm one hot inflamed mess under the best of circumstances.

I think you need to call your doc or the ER about your fingers. Something just isn't right!
It seems to have resolved itself now. I was a little scared I might be showing early symptoms of a stroke or something. My PA daughter in law is on her way over. I'll have her give me a good look over :) If it happens again I'll see about it ASAP.

So, this morning I'm surprised my bruising isn't worse but I seem to remember it took a week or so to fully bloom the last time. My knee is bruised, my inner and outer thigh and my inner ankle. I have 3 smallish trauma blisters on my shin. My inner thigh is so swollen when I walk it makes my leg feel like it is crooked. My foot is so swollen this time and wasn't last time. I doubt I have a pair of shoes I would be able to get on. I just wore my hospital socks home yesterday and my pajamas. I didn't want to put clothes on and I sure didn't want to have to change again when I got home so I just came "as is" and figured if people were bothered by someone coming out of the hospital in pj's they needed to get a life!

Kent just made me a sandwich that is tasting pretty good. I had no appetite either Thursday or yesterday. Still no results in the poo department but I'm not uncomfortable yet. Yesterday after I got home I had Kent fix me some Miralax and again just now.

These meds are making my nose itch like crazy! Still, I'll take that over pain any day.

......more random thoughts....

I think Mini is constipated again :( he's been having some difficulty since Tucker died. When Tucker was living we used to feed them wet food morning and night and since Tucker died we didn't give it to Mini because frankly, he needs to lose weight. We still had some wet food so I had Kent give him some.

2 1/2 hours after I started writing here I'm back :) Son #1 and PA daughter in law came by for a visit. It was nice to see them. Nick was quite talkative which is unusual for him.

I have started getting a fever blister on my lip :groan: I can't imagine why. It's not like I've been under any stress or anything :nah:

Did I tell you all that they found with yesterday's blood tests at the hospital that I'm anemic? Wonderful! They said it wasn't so bad I need a transfusion but once I poo to start taking iron and vitamin C. That may explain why I've been so tired lately though and also why when the kids came in they both almost immediately said I looked pale.

I'm very, very sleepy again after this afternoon's burst of activities (NOT!) so I think I'll take a little nap. Talk to you all later on. :sleep:
 
@gr82cu2 Janet glad the finger thing is better, it had me worried. Are you doing the prune juice thing? Hope you and Mini get some relief soon. Iron leads to constipation that is why they don't want you to start it yet. It is a big part of why you are so tired. I can take iron in a multivitamin but if I take just iron I vomit. I do love spinach though! Hope it doesn't upset your tummy! Take care of yourself!
 
@gr82cu2, Janet I'm just now catching up on your thread. I spent the better part of the night last night at the ER. I'll update on my thread. I was really concerned when I read about your finger, but then read that it seems better. I'm sure that was scary. You asked about the OxyContin. I do think it is a slow release pill. I remember they gave that to me for the first surgery and also the Oxycodin. Keeping track of each pill I would write "fast acting"for the Oxycodin and "slow acting" for the OxyContin. I took the OxyContin In the evening and in the morning. The Oxycodin was every 4-6 hours as needed. The OxyContin did make me sleepy. I'm so glad that the doctor gave you all the meds you need to keep comfortable. Now just lay back and rest, ice and elevate. Anne
 
Back
Top Bottom