TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2 my heart breaks for you. I will continue praying for you and not for that jerk of the doctor I don't understand why he would give you the talks about pain medicine Does he think we want to be on those meds. This time I ask what it was too and one time they were giving me too much of my depression meds. Don't feel alone we are all here for you and have been praying for you and checking your thread all day. Take your pain pills and stuff when they offer You did not do anything to cause it. Something must be wrong and I agree with you they should take an X-ray and check it out and not take offense you were not pointing fingers So frustrating just know I am thinking of you and
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@gr82cu2 I'm so sorry this has been so difficult. You should be receiving support and understanding from your doctor, and you aren't. Pain control is the most important thing following this difficult surgery, and if the pain isn't under control, it's difficult to rest and relax, which in turn makes you hurt more. I'm sorry you're caught in that vicious circle. It's unfair and not right that your doctor isn't supporting your pain, and is making you feel like he thinks you just want the meds. But, keep being vocal about your pain, they will need to get it under control. That needs to be your number 1 priority. You have to have your pain under control.

Now that you know there is no blood clot, try not to worry that something is wrong. I hope you don't mind me saying that, because I know that's easier said than done. And, I know I'm not the person laying in the hospital bed now. But,you know that we have had very similar paths in our recovery, and I really had a lot of issues with swelling. A lot of swelling. My swelling happened very quickly as well, and it was very difficult and painful. Even once I was home, I called the doctor because I was so sure that there was a problem. But, it was just my body fighting through the trauma. You know you have a lot of fluid build up as seen on the dopplar. Once you are home, you can ice and elevate continuously and I hope you will make huge progress and feel so much better once you have the swelling under control. Every knee is different and every surgery is different. Try not to compare your one knee to the other, and worrying that something is wrong because this one is different. Please know I'm not just saying this to be like the doctors giving you a "this is normal" or "of course it will hurt" line (which I know is just what you DON'T want to hear!). That much swelling that quickly is not normal, but at the same time, it doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong. I don't want this to come across the wrong way - I am just hoping that if you can relax and rest, and the hospital can find a pain protocol that works, that you will feel a bit more human. I just hate thinking that you're laying there worrying about all the bad things that might be going on. And relaxing and resting is the most important thing you can do right now.

I'm glad to hear that you got some rest this afternoon. The more you can sleep and relax, it will help to break the pain cycle. I know you feel alone, but there are many people here thinking of you, praying for you, and wanting to beat up that mean old doctor for you!! Hang in there, you will feel so much better soon!
 
I have had several surgeries too. I always bounce right back. Except this TKR! How dare him compare himself to you. I'm furious. Ok, rant over. I'm glad they are giving you enough pain meds to control your pain. I hope that you get the answer you seek. I pray you have a nice evening and sleep well tonight. -- Joni
 
@gr82cu2, Janet I am so sorry you are going through this. I just don't understand your doctor. Having a good reputation shows he know what he is doing, so why does he have to be so defensive. You are not attacking him, you only want answers and relief!! I'm praying that you have a more restful night and that they can come up with a plan to keep your pain down and you can go home tomorrow. Sending hugs and prayers. Anne
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
I am left speechless by your OS. Your leg is a huge balloon, there is blood in your joint and he questions your pain levels?
Continued thoughts and prayers,
@Jamie may be able to help with answers to the sudden swelling and bleeding in your joint, in your TKR leg
 
@gr82cu2 I can't believe the nerve of your Dr. You wouldn't need all the pain meds if you didn't have the swelling they can't figure out. I am surprised the haven't done an x-ray or other tests to try to figure this out. It is not fair to you. You have a whole army of bonesmart friends that have been praying for you and we will continue to do so until you are comfortable and at home. I hope you can rest tonight.
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
Oh Janet @gr82cu2 I wish there was some way to help. Please know that I AM PRAYING, PRAYING, PRAYING for you tonight. And I'm not just saying that, I really mean it. I just can't imagine feeling so bad and having to defend myself with the very people that are there to help. That is just LOUSY!!!

I'll be watching your thread for updates, but please just do what you feel like and keep us posted as you can. Tomorrow has to be a better day!

(((HUGS))) (((HUGS))) and (((more HUGS))) :console2:

Connie
 
@gr82cu2, I am catching up on your thread and I'm so sorry you are having to go through so much pain and swelling :(. Your doctor's attitude is unbelievable and a total load of ****! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you get some relief soon.

Cheryl
 
Wow, I am speechless at the poor treatment you've received. I can only imagine how much pain you've had to endure with all that swelling.

It does happen sometimes that the first day or so are relatively pain free and then pain increases after that. Many surgeons use pain medication in the wound before closing and/or you have the benefits of a spinal to help in those first hours of recovery. Once that initial pain medication wears off, pain levels can increase fairly suddenly. I don't know if this might have started you down the pain path, but it's possible.

As you are aware, some people react differently to the trauma of surgery. I can't recall if you said you have Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) or not. But if you do, the inflammatory flare you're experiencing could be related to that. If you have an RA doctor, I would contact them and ask for guidance. Also....have you seen your GP while in the hospital (is he/she on staff there?).

I am bothered by the fact that you are not getting adequate ice and elevation. That can make such a difference. You should have pillows stacked into a wedge that supports your whole leg and gets your foot up above your heart. Ice packs should go across the top of your knee and also on the sides (and back if you are lying more on your side than on your back). The ice should be replaced frequently because it must go through that thick dressing. Can your husband or someone be with you a good part of the time to ensure this happens?

Most hospitals have a patient advocate that works with you when things are not going well. Ask to see that person first thing tomorrow morning and enlist their help. When a nurse is uncooperative, ask to speak with the nursing supervisor....there is always a supervisor on duty. It is beyond belief that a nurse would tell you they couldn't call the surgeon until 7 a.m......there is always a doctor that can be contacted. If it's not your surgeon, it would be the surgeon on call.

I'm going to tag @Josephine again to be sure that she sees your posts. (Jo....you'll need to read back about 4 pages to get all that's happened....start at page 59 #1171). It is good that you are not running a fever. I do not think the problem is something with your implant itself, so try not to worry about that. It is critical that you keep your pain under control. That is priority number one. Don't let anyone guilt you into not taking the medication you need to keep pain at bay. Pain will increase your swelling and you must stay on top of it to be able to reduce the swelling.

I'm hoping the next time you post that things will be improving. I'm so sorry this is happening to you!
 
@gr82cu2
Dear Janet,
First off, thank You for taking the time to post :) I know how difficult that must be
& we truly appreciate it. You have a lot of folks Praying for you & sending healing
Thoughts your way :console2:I am happy you slept for a few hours, at least you weren't
In pain while you slept.
It is very heart breaking to hear about your pain levels. I hope they are working with
You so you can go home with the proper med's.
I pray tomorrow is a better day for you :SUNsmile:
Love,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
Dear Janet,
I am sending prayers for you to get some relief from your pain. I hear that your OS is not helping you much. In your hospital do you have a revisionist surgeon? I say that because there is one where I had my knee operated on. I didn't need him but at this stage maybe someone else should be notified. Bless your husband for being there and helping you out. Mine was the same and was the saving grace. I hope and pray you get some relief from your pain. I will continue thinking of you and sending prayers.
Hugs and Love,
Foxsea
 
Ok, it is 3:15 am. I woke up cause I had to potty really bad :) And I was freezing to death. These drugs are totally messing with me. I thought I was in cold, foggy London and just could not get out of the dampness and cold to get the chill off my bones. My ice pack was totally thawed so that wasn't it. I told Lois (you all would have to go wayyyyyy back to my 1st surgery to learn about her but she was my night angel. And coincidentally, Lois was my mother's name. Don't think I'm a whack job but part of me feels like Lois is my mom here to care for me. It can't be though because Lois is barely older than me but it gives me some comfort. I never once was made to feel bad by her or like a wimp and I should just suck it up. Anything I asked for almost instantly appeared. When I saw her last night I thought I was hallucinating or like I said, I had gone to heaven. I cried tears of joy I tell you and I told her "Im' soooooo happy to see you, you have no idea!!" Ok so, I'm going to try and answer a few of you before these meds take me out of it again. I asked for only a 1/2 dose this time because I"m not liking feeling like I'm in some alternate universe. I told Lois I could swear yesterday I was moved around and in, at one time or another, at least 3 different rooms. If the pain comes back bad I can get more. The meds this time were an hour late and it isn't unbearable at this time so hopefully it will be ok. I even asked to take a short walk out into the hall before I got back in bed which she happily obliged.

I will continue praying for you and not for that jerk of the doctor I don't understand why he would give you the talks about pain medicine
Thank you Laurie. I've never been one to ask people to pray for me. It may be crazy but I feel that is selfish and God is a very busy guy up there. I'd hate to be ignored by him because I cried wolf too many times but yesterday I really, really, really needed your prayers. I've never felt so helpless in my life!

My swelling happened very quickly as well, and it was very difficult and painful
Mine did too on knee #1 but not to the extent this one was and it sure didn't happen in the span of 90 minutes. They kept upsetting me more by telling me it was the swelling and it needed to go down and I'd feel better. YES, I KNOW THAT!! AND THAT IS WHY I'M TELLING YOU PEOPLE TO GET MY LEG UP IN THE AIR!! ONE IDIOT EVEN SAID IT NEEDED TO BE FLAT WITH MY HEAD UP SO THE SWELLING WOULD GRAVITATE TOWARDS MY FOOT. HOW STUPID IS THAT? UMM, GENIUS, THAT'S A DEAD END DOWN THERE. MY LYMPHATIC SYSTEM IS UP HERE!! A few even acknowleged that yes, swelling does cause pain but pain meds wouldn't help that kind of pain. Pffttt!!

Every knee is different
Boy, you can say that again! I was/am especially devastated over this because for the first few hours it felt great. Hardly any pain or stiffness at all. And my flexion was 108 right out of the shoot. I could tell it was bending so much better than last time and was thrilled. I thought I might even give @ConnieJOS a little run for her money ;) When the PT measured me he actually made me stop. I could have bent it even further. By 4 hours later when they measured again 80 was the best I could get out of it.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way
It hasn't :) Love ya girl! You know how much I admire what you've been through and how well you've done.

Having a good reputation shows he know what he is doing, so why does he have to be so defensive.
I've read countless times how arrogant surgeons are so maybe that's it. Although, when you are just having a casual conversation with him it's like you're old pals.

there is blood in your joint
I took a picture yesterday while they had the bandage peeled back. They had stepped out to get a syringe to try and drain it. Wait until I post that picture. I'll even do a side by side of my other knee. No comparison in the blood pooling/bruising on the top of the knee cap.

I am surprised the haven't done an x-ray or other tests to try to figure this out.
I can't believe it either, especially when I suggested it. I'm not a suing person but heads would roll if I found out at some point there was something wrong and they denied something as simple, painless and quick as an x-ray.

Please know that I AM PRAYING, PRAYING, PRAYING for you tonight.
Love you Connie and thanks so much. I think the prayers are working.

Your doctor's attitude is unbelievable
Yeah, I'm not sure how to address that. Yesterday I was doing the sobbing/can't catch my breath talk with him. I was in a load of pain yes, but mostly it was because I felt my fears and concerns weren't really being listened to. It came across to me as though he was dismissing everything I was concerned about no matter how big or trivial. And like I said, even in a drug induced haze, I was trying to be polite and non accusatory.

Many surgeons use pain medication in the wound before closing and/or you have the benefits of a spinal to help
Jamie, beginning November 1st, a whole 3 days before my surgery they decided to use a new approach here. The last knee they deadened my entire leg which lasted about 12-16 hours. 12 I could feel it starting to wake up and by 16 it was fully awake. Well, this time they did some sort of spinal block. I still can't understand fully because different people were calling it different things. I remember in the OR, the anesthesiologist sticking the needle in my back and asking if my leg felt heavy or numb at all. I answered a very clear NO. Then I remember nothing after that. I assume they immediately knocked me out. When I woke up in recovery I was immediately moaning, crying and trying to rub my leg. It hurt soooo bad. And I wished they had just amputated it. It was that bad! Someone came over and said I shouldn't be feeling pain because I'd had that block. Well, guess what genius? It didn't work!! So, they called in an anesthesiologist who injected something into my upper thigh (I can still see the needle puncture so it must have been a big needle) and pronounced to me I would feel all better in a minute. Well, that didn't work either. Several times since then my OS has brought up the fact that they just started using this procedure and overall people are feeling much better. They can get them up sooner and moving because they can feel their leg after a couple of hours. And I've told him every time IT DIDN'T WORK ON ME! Then he acknowledges it and says well, we did 4 people that day and 3 of them worked. I'm happy for them, really I am but what about me??? He seems so dismissive. Then we start in on the swelling lecture and how that is painful. I know, do something about it!!!! Sheesh! Thank God I don't have another knee is all I can say because if the first one had gone this way I wouldn't be laying here right now.

I can't recall if you said you have Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) or not.
Jamie, I have psoriatic arthritis and have had for about 20 years now. It flares up very suddenly and even the slightest "trauma" makes my joints ache. At some point, an in house doctor came by and I explained to him that even if I do something as simple as running the vacuum cleaner, the next day my right hand will be so swollen I can't curl my fingers into a fist.

I am bothered by the fact that you are not getting adequate ice and elevation. That can make such a difference. You should have pillows stacked into a wedge that supports your whole leg and gets your foot up above your heart. Ice packs should go across the top of your knee and also on the sides (and back if you are lying more on your side than on your back).
We finally got that settled yesterday evening before Kent went home. Bless his heart, he was fighting for me. They raised the foot of my bed up and gave me 3 pillows to stack into a pyramid shape to rest my leg on and it's been wrapped in ice. This morning (actually an inhumane middle of the night, LOL) I could tell the swelling has decreased. Yesterday my lower leg especially was as hard as a concrete floor. There was no give in it at all. This morning when I checked with Lois, and she agreed, it was softer and the tissues would give a little when being pressed on. Also, my hero Kent, told them yesterday that he's known me longer than anyone else in his life (which is true except his mom, dad and sister) and I don't complain unless there is something to complain about.

It is beyond belief that a nurse would tell you they couldn't call the surgeon until 7 a.m......there is always a doctor that can be contacted.
That's exactly what I told her. "You mean to tell me that you don't have a doctor in this hospital at all times?" I called BS on that one. This is a private, doctor owned hospital. They all specialize in orthopedics but don't do trauma surgery or anything. It just makes you wonder if the doctors don't tell them to not bother them unless someone is code blue. Speaking of which they were announcing a code blue for one of the OR's yesterday. After awhile they announced "Code Blue clear". I hope the person is alright. Back to seeing a doc early in the morning..........they nurses must have tired of me whining and crying and my doctor did come in around 8 I think it was. He didn't do a darn thing but at least he came. The one nurse actually asked me, 'What do you want a doctor to tell you that we haven't?' I wanted to smack her. I told her right off the bat I could tell her what they better NOT tell me. I don't want to hear 'it's normal', 'it will get better', 'don't worry'. Ya know? I'm totally over those excuses. Do something!!!

I'm hoping the next time you post that things will be improving.
Things do seem improved this morning. I've been awake about an hour now writing to you all. Brain and fingers are getting along a little better but perfect :)

I pray tomorrow is a better day for you :SUNsmile:
Love,
Diana :loveshwr:
Thanks Diana! Coming from a Queen that means a lot :)

In your hospital do you have a revisionist surgeon?
I honestly don't know but I would assume so. It's a pretty big orthopedic practice.

You are in my prayers. I am sorry for your pain. May the peace that only God gives be with you and direct the hands of those caring for you.
Thanks Darlin'!!

hope your pain meds are sorted so you can get more comfy.
Me too! Me too!!

*****The following might be out of order. I thought I posted it in the night but can't find it. Somehow when I quoted you all it showed up here. If you already read it, don't worry! In my drug induced haze I just can't figure out if it already posted. Also, (don't think I said above) when Lois came at 2:30 for meds I asked for only 1 Percoset instead of 2. I told her i'm tired of feeling so weird and like I"m not where I am if that makes sense. 15 minutes later she came and gave me a 12 hour slow release oxycontin so hopefully that will keep the pain from peaking and we'll see how well I do on one Percoset and hopefully no morphine or dilaudid. ********


OMG I love you all so much! You just have no idea!!!! First some good news.......I fell asleep hard again after i wrote ealier, whatever time that was, I have no idea. It was so hot in my room and I asked to have the temp turned cooler and they left the door hope for air circulation. I hate having my door ope but whever, they insisted. Lights on too but i was so exhausted I just fell right ot sleep. Anwy (sorry, my brain and finger are just not getting along so typing is hard and I'm a sticker for spelling, punctuation and grammar, LOL! I just can't worry aboutit now so hopefully you can all decipher this.) Anyway, I was sleping and suddenly heard someone in the room so I opened my eyes an it took me a minute to focus but it was my beloved Lois! I was sure I had gone to heaven. I have missed her so much while I've been here. She is such an angel and took such great care of me before but was either off the last 2 nights or in a different area. Of course, she remembered me. I just wanted to leap out of bed and hug her so tight and never let her go! Crazy? Maybe, but I don't care. I gave her the quick story of what has happened and she was so understanding and compassionate. Apparently she had give me a slow release Oxycontin when she first came in and I had no recollection of it at all. That's out of it I am. I don't know if it's exhaustion or drugs. I'm really beginning to hate drugs. Why in the world woudl anyone take this stuff if they don't need it for actual pain? I had to go pee so I asked her to help me up an to the bathroom. She said i was doing great and I said, you should have seen me yesterday morning!!

While I was in the potty she got my bed all straightend out. Ther is almost nothing in the world I hate more than a disheveld bed iwth blankets and sheets all rmpled up. It makes me crzy. I would aks the others to straighten it but they would just sort of pick them up, shake them out nad throw them back down on the ned. She got me settled back down and elevated the foot of the bed (yay!) and I'm ok fo rnow. It seemed to hurt less this time when I got up on my feet. She got my knee wrapped good with an actual cold ice wrap. Earlier I had requested if they hae the leg pump things instead of the foot pump ones so she got those put back on.

Between the relief of seeing Lois and feeling a little less pain when I got up I'm feling better although still very, very drugged and so sleepy I can't keep my eyes open despite the naps. Maybe I'll be able to go home tomorrow. I need to go for now again. I've fallen aslep numerous times trying to write this. Oh! And I don't think I told you all that earlier today I todl Dr. Randolph I needed my leg well elevated. He asked why I hadn't and Kent and I both tld him BECAUSE NO ONE WILL LET ME!!!! He seemed perplexed by that and we both told him every single person we've asked has said "No, Dr. Randolph doesn't allow that." So the order cme down to raise the foot of the bed and get pillow under my leg as long as my knee stayed straight. Kent was as mad or madder than I was. We've decided that there are so man doctors here and they all have their way of doing things and the nurses can' keep track of who dos what. After hours of this it could b why itis finlly feling better. I've been running 9-10 on the pain scale almost onstanly and am now at about a 7. Thanks God I don't have nmore knees! Ok, gotta go to sleep again now. Lois will be back soon to medicate again. Not sure I want itbut also don't want to meet up with pain scale #10 again :(
 
Thank goodness for your lovely Lois. It must make such a difference to wake up and see someone you know is kind and cares. Let's hope this is the start of your recovery after such an abysmal few days.
Take care
Mary x
 
@gr82cu2 - I'm so glad to hear thing are improving - if only a little! Hopefully each hour brings you nearer to being comfortable.

I must admit your posts have scared me to death, but like you I have a very supportive and protective husband who I can depend on to 'fight my corner' like your Kent! I am just praying for a 'Lois' now as well :heehee:

I understand why doctors don't want to overdo medication but surely they appreciate that strong meds are needed regularly after this surgery. It's not like we are about to become 'junkies' or run out to sell the flaming meds! I don't know why an x-ray is such a big deal to your doctor either - as you said it's such a simple thing to carry out.

Hoping and praying that you are feeling a lot better soon

Deb x
 
@gr82cu2

Janet, I'm glad to see your report. At least you have Lois, and you can ice and elevate! I've actually slept very well. I have woke up several times and just felt that God was nudging me awake with you on my heart, so each time I've taken a moment to pray for you and have drifted right back to sleep. Don't ever feel that it's selfish to ask for prayer. Yes, he has lots to do up there, but he is BIG! He's got this! That's why he gets to be God! :angel:

I'm so sorry it's been hard, but I just know it will be better soon.

Love and hugs to you!

Connie
 
@gr82cu2 so glad to hear from you. It sounds like you have gotten a little bit of relief and hope it continues to keep improving. I am sorry you and Kent have had to fight so hard for the small concessions the hospital has made but glad you have Kent there with you and now Lois. I agree with Connie to not feel selfish asking for prayers. Lots of hugs and continued prayers for you.
 
I'm so glad you seem to feel a bit better. I was worried that what I said sounded like I was minimizing everything. I really wasn't. I just really wanted you to concentrate on icing, elevating and getting the swelling down, and resting - and not laying there worrying yourself about what might be wrong. With that much pain and discomfort, you needed to find a way to allow your body to rest.

It seems like a little elevating has helped already - can't believe it took SO much for permission to do that when you were that swollen. SO, here's to hoping that keeping it iced and elevated today all day will help you tremendously. How wonderful that you have Lois - just what you needed! I can't imagine my pain being at a 10 for that long a period of time, let alone even a 7. Your body has so much to recover from. I hope and pray you can get some much needed rest today, and feel like a new person by tonight. Thanks goodness you don't have three knees right?? The good news is you don't, and you are done! It's all going to be better from here! Don't worry about the ROM - it's in there.......just concentrate on that darn swelling...and keeping that pain down. Hugs!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think surgeons see us, far too often, as a point on a bell curve of experiences that make up average. They don't realize that our personal deviations, which they may have seen similar cases of before in their careers, are traumatic for us as individuals, and they too often forget we need to be treated as the suffering human beings we are, with unique compassion, not as averaged data points. They seem jaded to their patients and their individual differences, and don't take the time needed to support us thru this incredibly difficult surgery.

I could go on but I won't (for now). Good morning - insist on the care you need today, speak up over and over till you get it, and know that you are being thought of + prayed for today.

Judy
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom