TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@tiredwife Nothing too exciting to report today. I did go and get my hair cut for the first time in about 3 months. It was a hot mess but much better now :) Sitting here covered up with a throw watching House Hunters.
 
@Minnie's knees

Good morning from a cool Autumnal Dublin, we have had a super summer and September was the driest on record.

Although on Friday 3 October it rained solidly for nearly 20 hours and we had 44cm of rainfall. The ground and plants needed it.

Can't complain haven't turns the heat on yet, but will by the middle of this month.

I have been looking for your own thread to post there, but saw you here and able to post to you through Janet's.

Hope that your RA is comfortable and a massage before your surgery sounds like a good idea Christine @chestnc seemed to find it very good. I have bought a GroupOn voucher for a message and will book that this week.

Take care and have a great Sunday,
Cathie
 
@gr82cu2 I need to trim mine up, getting split ends. I always grow it long, then cut it and donate to locks of love. They want at least 10 inches, so I have to grow it quite long.
 
@gr82cu2 hope you are enjoying the weekend. I need to get my hair cut in the next couple of weeks. One more thing on my list.

@marmora your weather sounds lovely. I haven't had a massage in a long time. The RA will probably go into a flare up soon but will get better when I can have my infusions again after surgery.

@tiredwife I would love to visit and play in snow but enjoy our warm weather here too. Thank you for donating to locks of love. I know 2 people who have benefited from their organization.
 
@tiredwife Nothing too exciting to report today. I did go and get my hair cut for the first time in about 3 months. It was a hot mess but much better now :) Sitting here covered up with a throw watching House Hunters.
As I've mentioned on here earlier, my recovery consists of lots of House Hunter and dreams of where I will go for my retirement :)
 
@gr82cu2 Hi Janet! I don't know if my hip pain is from the tourniquet or not. Like I said before my inner top thigh is painful and I would think that is from the tourniquet. I probably looked funny last night, but while sitting in the recliner I had the heating pad positioned so that half was under my butt and the other half along the side of my hip. Then I got a tennis ball and put it under my butt, right where the piriformis muscle is. I know where it is because my hubby Joe has had trouble with his over the past couple of years. I would move around until the ball hit the spot and would just sit there. It would hurt, but feel good at the same time. I don't have any pain there today, so hopefully it worked. I just wish I could get rid of the swollen log feeling in my leg. Straightening it is no problem, but bending is another matter.
@tiredwife that is wonderful that you donate to the locks of love. It is such a wonderful organization. My friends granddaughter did it a few years ago....her hair was down to her waist. I am supposed to get my hair cut this week. I get it cut every four weeks. For years I had my hair in a bob, but a year and a half ago I wanted something different so I went with a pixie cut. It love it and it's very easy to take care of. Especially when you have fine, poker straight hair like mine. I keep planning on changing my avatar so it can see, but I just haven't gotten around to it.
You guys can keep your cold weather. It went down in the 30's last night with a high of 59 today. Tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 70, just how I like it. My favorite time of the year is the fall going into Christmas. I love that time of year because of the holidays, but the weather is the negative part. I hate the cold!
@Minnie's knees I hope your RA stays in check and you don't have any flair ups.
@marmora good luck with the massage. I love massages. My daughter is a massage therapist and does mostly medical massage. She gave me one a couple of weeks before surgery. It hurt a little but was a good hurt and really did me good. She lives about a half an hour away, and between three kids and working so much we always have a hard time finding a good time to get together. There is another girl that goes to my gym that does massage and she is very good. I go to her when Jodi can't fit me in. I'm wondering how long I should wait until I can get one. When Jodi was here yesterday I told her about my thigh and butt hurting and she told me that I should use an essential oil she gave me for the muscles. I know she won't admit it but I think she is afraid to do anything to me for fear of hurting me. Heck, she won't even look at my incision.
I hope everyone has a good evening. Anne
 
@Minnie's knees and @Yorkimom I started donating in my sister's name a few years ago. My sister didn't have cancer, but she had always donated to children's causes. She died in a car accident. It can be a pain growing my hair out, but it is worth it. I prefer my hair short. They like the hair to be at least 10 inches long. It can be dyed but not bleached. They accept grey hair to sell to other companies to help pay for the making of their wigs. I need to trim my split ends so when it is long enough it won't have split ends.
One thing you guys need to remember is that if your knee gets cold, it may take it awhile to warm up because it is metal. So dress warm when playing in the snow! I like cooler weather better, just can't tolerate the hot humid summers here at all. My hands swell, it feels like I am breathing water, and I have no energy!
 
@tiredwife @Minnie's knees @marmora @Yorkimom @ljrfrm

First, I wanted to tell you all that that stitch poked out finally last night. the one that was the cause of the little opening in my incision. I took a tweezer and gave it a tiny tug and out it came. It was about 1/8" long.

The last time my hair was long was 40 years ago. Several times over the years I've thought I would grow it out but it gets to barely past my shoulders and I absolutely can't stand it. My hair is very, very fine and thinning more and more as I get older and that just doesn't work very well with long hair so I try to keep it shorter like in my avatar picture.

This morning I woke up feeling better than I have since surgery day and I wanted to run on here and shout it out to you all but I was afraid of jinxing myself. No matter though because by the time I showered and dressed it was all stiff and hurting again.

Anne, on your hip pain......I had a huge black bruise way higher than where the tourniquet could have been placed. It was on my outer hip thigh area and extended onto my butt. It would sure be nice if they could figure out a gentler way to do what they do to us.

Massages.....I've only ever had 2 in my life and can't say I particularly enjoyed it. I think I was too self conscious to really relax and enjoy it. The first one was on a cruise we were on and the 2nd was a gift from my son and his wife. The 2nd one the massage therapist wouldn't stop talking! Of course, me being the nice, polite person I am I didn't tell her to shut up, LOL!!

I talked to my aunt today. She is my mom's next younger sister. She'll be 81 here in a couple of weeks. She had her knee replaced on 9/23. I've been pretty concerned about her because my uncle has quite a few physical limitations along with dementia. They have 3 boys (none have ever married or had children which is a shame because my aunt would have been the best grandma ever!) and all live away. One near Chicago, one near Memphis and one in Hawaii. The one from Chicago came for the first week and the one from Memphis is there now for the next couple of days. She said she is getting along well and not having much pain now but she did have a tiny blood clot that had caused her a lot of calf pain but is better now. She said after Steve goes home she has arranged for senior services to bring them lunch every day and has a lady hired to come mid afternoon and help out until after dinner time. A visiting nurse comes a couple of times a week to check on her and help her bathe and she has a PT coming to the house too, for now. We compared swelling and bruising stories :) She gets her staples out on Tuesday. I was really relieved to know she is doing well. She is my favorite aunt and is just so sweet. She was invaluable to my sister and I when mom and dad were declining. Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you all. Keep her in your thoughts. She is very special to me :)

On another note Kent has maintained control of the TV for the past 9 hours and I'm about bored out of my mind. I don't do football at all, ever! So, had to get through that. I hate when he shouts at the TV. Drives me crazy. Then he was playing some game on there and now I'm suffering through Simpson's reruns. Blah! Go to bed already! Hahahahha!!

Have a great night everybody and thanks for stopping by.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, your aunt sounds like a sweetheart. I can see your concern. It is hard when our loved ones age and don't live near us. I'm glad to hear that she does have help and I will certainly keep her in my prayers. Please keep us updated on her progress. From what you said, my hip pain very well could be from how they move you around during surgery. If it's not one thing, it's another. Why is it we can feel so good and then as soon as we do something, our knee lets us know it. For me just getting a shower and washing my hair wipes me out. Tomorrow afternoon is therapy and I'm not looking forward to it. My leg is so stiff and just burns. I don't look forward to the bending exercises. I just wish the swelling would go down.
Your story about your massage made me laugh. Around 15 years ago Joe hit the four digit lottery and he had a couple of dollars on it. So he told me that he would pay for my best friend, Loretta and I to have a spa day and lunch. We went to this spa and had a full body massage, facial, pedicure and lunch. It was wonderful. While Loretta had her massage, I had my facial and vice versa. Well, when I went in for my massage I was immediately intimated by the woman. She was this big German woman and wasn't very friendly. I don't know if you have ever seen the movie Porky's about teens in the 1950's. Well there was this woman gym teacher that was a tyrant. This massage therapist looked and acted just like her. I was afraid to say a word the whole time, even if she was hurting me. It was the worst massage I ever had!
Luckily we just bought a 40" flat screen TV in our bedroom, so now when Joe outs on the football, Off to the bedroom I go. I keep trying to watch it and think that I might learn to enjoy it, but no dice. Have a good night. Anne
 
@gr82cu2 happy your stitch finally poked out. Glad your aunt is doing good especially as she is older than us. My husband likes football, most sports,and nascar racing. We have 4 tv's in our house and I very rarely have the remote between my husband and 2 granddaughters.

@tiredwife My hair has not been that long in many years. I also like it shorter as it is fine and thin. I wondered if the cold affected the implant but forgot to ask. Of course the cold and hot affect it now to do I should be used to it.

@Yorkimom Sorry you didn't have a very good massage experience. Massages are like PT, if you are going to have them often need to find one you like and stay with them.
 
Good Morning Janet @gr82cu2

Great that you were finally able to remove the remaining stitch without any problem.

My hair is like dress lengths,some years short and some years long. At the moment below the chin and with a fringe or bangs in the US. Last got it coloured with highlights the day before surgery on 16 July, but for some reason the roots are too bad and think I can wait another week or two.

I have found the same with massage therapists and as @Minnie's knees said it is similar to finding the right PT.
I always say that I will have a massage once a month, but it has turned out to be once or twice a year.

I can understand your concern and love for your Aunt, when we have important people in our lives and heart that mean a lot to us and enrich our lives. And when they're not well or after surgery as your Aunt, we only want the best for them and for their needs to be met and foe them to be comfortable. I will keep her in my thoughts.

I woke up very stiff this morning, we had near hurricane wind and rain here last night and local commuter trains aren't running due to fallen trees and several roads closed. So,feel it could be the dampness effecting the knee and leg.

Going up for my shower now and hope the warm water make relax the muscles and then will a morning walk.
Later meeting a friend for soup and a chat at 1:00 and then physio at 2:30. Ice and rest after that.

My garden filled with leaves and yesterday my son had swept the leaves when he was here for Sunday Lunch and left not a leave in sight. My husband said he will sweep them up when he get s home from work tonight.

I'm starting to ramble now, so will finish now.

Janet, take care and have a comfortable day,
Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Yorkimom I wonder how long until the swelling goes away for good. It's a thought I find myself with a lot. Feeling like I want to do things and can do things and then having the knee put me back down is getting really, really old. I am finding though that as time goes on I'm able to be up longer times before it gets bad. The burning I think is definitely from swelling. I hope it gets better for you soon. With this being your 2nd you know the drill and what to do so I can't really offer any advice, only encouragement and cyber (((hugs)))

@Minnie's knees We have 2 TV's but only one is on satellite. That's the big one and the other is very small in the kitchen. We have never had a TV in our bedroom. Neither of us likes to lay in bed and watch TV. He did give it up right after I wrote last night. Maybe he picked up my vibe, LOL.

@marmora Wow, what a storm you had! I hope today the sunshine returns for you. It is looking very much like fall here today. Gloomy and overcast and a light mist in the air I think. The leaves are starting to fall here too. Our yard is far too big to rake so I always just hop on the riding mower and mow over them again and again until they are just tiny particles of leaves and won't smother the lawn over the winter months. We have 6 very large maple trees just in our back yard so it's a lot of leaves and a process to keep up with them as they fall. Love those trees in the summer time for the shade though.

I had a really bad night last night. I just could not get comfortable and felt restless. Finally after Kent was up this morning I thought I would try and go lay down in bed to see if I could get comfortable there and since he was up I knew I wouldn't be bothering him while I was flopping around. No dice! I'm beginning to think I'll never sleep in my bed again. I don't understand why I can (usually) be comfortable in the recliner or for the weeks I spent on the couch, but I can't get comfortable in bed. It's gonna be a long day, I think. I hope you all have a good day :)
 
@gr82cu2 Glad to hear your aunt is doing good!
It's about time to color my hair again, roots are getting long. If it was white I would just let it grow out. When I was younger my hair was mostly blond with small streaks of red and brown (naturally that way), you couldn't see the streaks unless you looked at it close. No way can I get it that way again.
Don't know why you can't get comfortable in bed. It will happen though.
We have Netflix for our tv and computers, so if one of us has the tv the other can watch something on the computers.
Hope you get some rest today!
 
@gr82cu2 Great that you woke up feeling so good yesterday! Even if it didn't last, it will come more often and last longer each day! See.......it's your small win of the day!!! I still can't get comfortable in bed either - I think I'm just lucky that my meds make me tired so i sleep anyways.

I felt so miserable last week, so I stopped driving so I could go back on my pain meds - and what a difference. I guess I'm just not ready to go off of them yet. At times, I won't have a choice (when my husband is out of town, etc) but when I can, I will keep up with them for a bit more. I haven't iced at all either - and am running around helping my son pack for his big move to Denver. So, after PT today I will baby myself with ice, pain meds and maybe some Life Saver Gummies :)

I've been growing my hair out for years. I swear - it won't get any longer. It's crazy. And frustrating...........
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gr82cu2 Good morning Janet. I'm sorry that you had such a bad night. It's the pits when you can't get comfortable. I remember from my first surgery I just wanted to sleep in my bed on my side as I'm a side sleeper.
It took me six weeks before I could sleep in my bed and even then it was an adjustment. I would start the night in bed and by 3 in the morning I would be back in the recliner. But gradually I slept in the bed all night but it took a couple of weeks. I know you are past six weeks and I hear your frustration. I wish I could offer you some advice. It's just so different for everyone so I'm sending you hugs. Try to rest today and hopefully it will get better. Hang in there. Anne
 
I thought I would share this photo with you all. I think I mentioned that we had a family photo shoot. The photographer is working on editing the photos but she did share this one to my facebook page. Kent's mom and dad (85 & 84) are in the front. Far left is our youngest son Zack and his wife Jen (both 31). Then our older son Nick and his wife Becky (both 33) and Kent and myself (61 & 55) on the right. The little slate chalkboards have the number of years each couple has been married. That's 109 years all together!!!!

[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
We went out to lunch today and to Sam's and Trader Joe's. That route is the only time we go by Popeye's fried chicken so we always have to have lunch there. We love, love, love their spicy fried chicken. They said they were out of white meat and it would be a 10 minute wait. Ok, it's worth waiting for, haha! Then, after the 10 minutes they said they had accidentally fried thighs instead of breasts so it would be another 16 minutes. Grrrrr, we're starving here! But, we waited. I had no way to get my leg stretched or up on the bench. By the time we were there the better part of an hour and then to Sam's and Trader Joe's my knee was so stiff and tight. The worst it's been in awhile and I definitely felt the tight band all the way around my knee. The good thing is lunch was late so dinner will be on our own. Whatever each of us scrounges up. I'm thinking crackers and cheese sounds good, haha!

Thank you all for the good thoughts and prayers for my Aunt. She is just the sweetest person and has a heart of gold. Always putting everyone else first. Problem is she is just like my mom was. She keeps things secret so other people don't worry about her or just worry, period. I had no idea she even had problems with her knee(s) until she emailed me to tell me she scheduled the surgery. I knew she had pretty bad arthritic pain in her hands but no idea about her knees. About 20+ years ago my cousin, her youngest son David, disappeared without a trace. At the time he would have been 25ish I guess. He had been living with his older brother in Chicago. David has MS and was unable to work but not wanting to burden his mom and dad he settled in with Greg in Chicago. When David disappeared Greg had to tell their mom and dad of course. Well, Aunt Myrna didn't tell a soul, not even her sisters or brother, let alone my grandma. None of us knew a thing for many months. Finally, after several years, their middle son, my cousin Steve, hired a private investigator and they found David in Hawaii. The PI approached David and David told him he didn't want anything to do with his family and to leave him alone. My poor Aunt was devastated as you can imagine. But, she forgave David and eventually after quite a few more years they all reconciled. David is unable to work or travel. So, my aunt, uncle and cousins go to see him every 2 or 3 years if they can afford it. She is a saint I tell you. I'm not sure I could forgive even my child for deliberately putting me through something like that.
 
Janet @gr82cu2

You have brought a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat with the story of you wonderful, sweet and forgiving Aunt. A women to love and who gives love unconditionally. You are indeed blessed to have her in your family.
I understand your concern for her and hope that she is comfortable. I will keep her in my thoughts. Xxx


Your family photo is so very special and it will become a very treasured family memory. You look great !
What a fabulous theme for a photograph.

Cathie x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom