Guest viewing is limited

TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2 It will get better, a lot of people on here have swelling issues. Just hang in there! It is going down, I can see that from the photos.
 
I just thought I would pass this along. These guys put out a new video every couple of weeks or so and they are hilarious! Good, clean and funny and only a few minutes long. I recommend starting with season 1 and working your way through. It's a great way to pass some time and laugh. Laughter is the best medicine.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs8CluusAzfON2gMmOuohsA
 
@gr82cu2 Mine is still swollen on the inside too (and behind the kneecap). My PT and OS both feel that part of the hamstring tightness/stiffness is due to the continued swelling. My guess is our stiffness and ROM will both improve if we can get that last bit of swelling to go down......someday :) You knee looks great though!!
 
Hello Janet @gr82cu2

Your pictures look good, great to see the different stages of recovery.
May your 'blah ' day be over soon!
Cathie
 
@gr82cu2
Hang in there; I guess it really is two steps forward, one step back a good part of the time. I'm looking forward to being able to go down stairs, actually down anything (steep sidewalk, golf green, etc) :walking: without pain! There are so many brave folks on this forum, and one of the things I hope I'll remember is to have patience with gradual progress. I'm down to crunch time before my surgery and it's reassuring to read your experience. I loved the pics! Funny, I took knee selfies last night to have a last look at the "before". I'm sure my "after" will start out blobby, but it's so encouraging to see the bi-weekly difference. Best wishes for a continued recovery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@meewee maybe you could get your ROM measured before to see what difference it is after. That might be interesting to see if the good ROM leg will still be the good ROM leg after. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery!
 
@gr82cu2 @marmora @tiredwife
So funny! I thought I'd post some pre-op pics but all I'd have to do was paint on some staples or incision lines and you'd all think they were post-op.
 
@ljrfrm Yep, I think so too. That swelling is just being so darned stubborn. I keep stretching/bending my knee many times a day. Almost like it's instinct or something but it just seems stuck for now. I have no reason to believe it won't eventually bend more though.

@marmora The aching is gone now and feeling better. I had PT this afternoon and that went pretty well. Then I had to go buy some paint. We are repainting the trim on our house. After 7 years it needs it. Kent scraped some this morning till his shoulder gave out. He had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago so he's a little limited there. Maybe I should scrape and he can climb the ladder!

@meewee You are getting very close! At 8 weeks it's not so painful for me to go down stairs, hills, etc. It's more of a limited range of motion thing. The knee will only bend just so far right now. But, the arthritic pain? It's gone, gone, gone! Well, in my left knee at least. Right knee still has the arthritic pain for now although it's nowhere near as bad as my left knee was pre-surgery. It actually feels better lately but I figure that's because of all the resting I've been doing. I'm sure it would revolt again if I tried anything too crazy. And trust me, I don't have lean legs at all!!! I always had sort of boney knees and ankles though. My hands are thin too with long fingers. If all I ever showed anyone was a picture of my hands they would never dream I'm the size I am, LOL.

@tiredwife I do sort of wish my ROM had been measured before surgery. I do know now though that my right knee is 132 so that gives me some idea of where lefty was before surgery. I would sure love to get back to that without the stiffness and then I could forget about this chapter of my life!

I think I do have some pre-op pics on my phone of my knees. I'll check later. Gotta hit the kitchen and get some dinner going. Talk to you all later this evening :)
 
Ok, one more quickie! This is our little family last Christmas day. It's Kent and myself. His mom and dad. Our two sons and their wives. We need some babies in there, don't ya think?
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
@gr82cu2 Janet nice photo! Is that a fireplace behind you? Can't force your sons to become dads! When they are ready it will happen. My son and his wife are going to adopt when they get their own house and save some money. He is making pretty good money now, and she just got her teacher's degree. Our daughter and husband have one boy who will be 4 in January. I enjoy our grandson, but am glad to finally be done with being their babysitter. Don't want to be babysitter, want to be grandma.
 
@tiredwife Yes, that is a fireplace behind us. It's floor to (10 ft.) ceiling stone. It's a shame but we rarely use it. Usually only at holiday time. I wish it was gas but it is wood burning and would cost a fortune to run a gas line to it. When this house was built there wasn't natural gas out here at all. About 5 years after we moved in (27 years ago) they brought gas in and offered if anyone would put in one gas appliance they would run gas lines to the house for free. We chose to do a gas water heater. In retrospect I wish we would have run gas to the fireplace. But, gas fireplaces weren't that common back then. Anyway, that is our "formal" living room where we rarely hang out. We're almost always in our much smaller family room.

The younger son and wife love to take vacations and usually go on cruises out of Florida. I'm happy for them that they are able to do that. They will be married 6 years in October and both are 31. I think they know if they have kids the vacations, if any, will be very much different from what they enjoy now. I told them when they were first married that I had no interest in being a full time babysitter when the time comes. Been there, done that and bought the t-shirt. I'm happy to help out in a pinch but not as a full time gig.

Our older son and wife have been married just 2 years. She was working on getting her doctorate so kids were definitely off the table until that was accomplished. She got her doctorate in May this year. She's been working at Indiana University/Perdue University @ Indianapolis (IUPUI) as an adjunct professor teaching women's health classes. She is a Physician's Assistant. Her program director got fired so they moved her up to that position until they find a replacement which will probably be around a year. So I think kids are off the table until that happens. They are both 33 and 34 right now.

Both our boys work for Walmart. Zack (younger one) is a store manager and Nick (older) is an assistant manager. They both went to work for Walmart when they were in high school. Zack is a little higher up the management ladder than Nick because Nick took 4 years off for college plus 2 years in the Navy. Zack worked all through college because he was going to school close to home and didn't have to move on to campus.

Our other daughter in law, the one with the curly dark hair standing next to me, works for Verizon. They all keep so busy working we don't get to see them or spend much time with them. Zack usually does make a point to come by and see us once a week when he is off work. Zack and I are like 2 peas in a pod. His brother, not so much. They are just completely different in so many ways. But, we love them both and both of their wives. We couldn't have wished or hoped for sweeter, more loving daughters in law.
 
@gr82cu2 Very nice.. If you already have gas for a water heater it shouldn't cost that much to run a line off of it. We put in a gas fireplace and it only cost $140 for them to run a line and connect it. Luckily our gas meter is just on the other side of the wall from our fireplace so it was a short line. You can also put in an insert that runs on propane.
People are having babies later in life now. My daughter was almost 31 when she had our grandson. The risk of birth defects do go up the older the mother is.
 
@tiredwife Yeah, our line would be probably 75 feet from our meter. It would have to go 1/2 way around our house, at least. It's not a biggie to us. Just wish we would have thought of that when we had the line originally put in.

It seems like nowadays you have teen mothers or mothers in their 30's and not much in between. I was almost 22 when Nick was born and 25 when Zack was born. I'm so glad I had them when I was young.
 
@gr82cu2 , @tiredwife, @ConnieJOS unfortunately I was only 18 with my son and 22 with my daughter. They are now 36 and 32. Saying that makes me feel old but I am only 54 (for a few more weeks lol). I was way too young to bebut someone I know is 41 and having her 1st baby. So glad that's not me :rotfl:

@gr82cu2 You have a beautiful family.
 
Back
Top Bottom