Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gazelle
I hope you did get some sleep last night. Inconsistent (or totally absent) sleep is a constant theme on these threads. So...sleep when you can, even if it's the middle of the day! My sleep has improved but is not what I'd call "a good night" (I'm at 10 weeks after BTKR). You are in very early days. I hope the pain pill situation gets sorted out and soon. It took me 8 weeks to start believing I was "glad" to have done the surgery, though I was immediately glad that all the anticipation, planning, anxiety, etc. was over!

The Pacific Northwest IS beautiful! I lived in Seattle for most of 1980-1994 and have gone back for visits many times. Seattle has changed a great deal; I especially miss the neighborhood taverns that were cozy little holes in the wall...but I still love the place. My last apt. was in West Seattle overlooking the Olympics and Puget Sound (an easy view to get in W. Seattle). Then I moved to Bellingham - had a view of the Cascade foothills from my apt, and a view of the Bellingham Bay and the San Juans from the WWU campus.

Now I am in flat Nebraska...sigh. I've married into the place so I'm stuck!
Take care
j
 
Miss J. , it is an honor to meet you, and being a former sock and sandal Seattlite! I think once the swelling goes down and the knee bends more naturally, I will be able to appreciate my new working bionic knees. And yes, I have to get the pain control better figured out especially for PT which starts Monday. I am just going to address each day as it's own day and it's own set of challenges. THe ol' saying One Day At A Time. From Seattle to Nebraska huh? Must be a good story!
 
Day 12

SO hard to sleep! I can not lay anyway other than my back right now. any suggestions ?
My butt and back are sore from laying so. I think if I could sleep real good, I would feel better. Is there a week or month when you found that your knees let you change postions like a normal person?
 
Gazelle, I have a question.......did you go to a regular room or icu after surgery?
 
Miss J. , it is an honor to meet you, and being a former sock and sandal Seattlite!

Haha! That makes me laugh. I remember refusing to ever wear teal-colored Goretex...I wasn't quite that true a Northwesterner. What brought me to Nebraska was grad school. UNL offered me more financial support than anywhere else and I had a sister in the state.

As for sleep...I am a side sleeper. My memory is that it was about 3-4 weeks before I could really begin any side sleeping; for some folks, it happens sooner and for some it happens later. Once you get to that point, put a pillow between your legs.

I hope you have a good day -
j
 
Gazelle, I have a question.......did you go to a regular room or icu after surgery?


ICU....is that the place you go right out of surgery ? I did go to someplace where they monitored me but I was doing so well, they whisked me off to my room pretty fast.
 
Ah Gazelle! Those aggressive PTs, I just wanna bop them in the nose! ( just kidding) but your journey home sounded odious! But you are home know - breath. Having Rheumatoid arthritis for 20 years my life and PT regime has been ruled by swelling. It will cultivate patience having to wait for your knees to be ready to step up the action. I always try to use exercise as my friend, gentle motion when uber swollen will help move the swelling up and out of your lower limbs. Ankle pumps with legs as comfortably elevated
as possible are a great start. I have had soooooo many PTs the ones that actually helped me taught me to go slow and listen to my body. You will know when it is time to ramp it up. I love my new hip and am looking forward to some new knees soon! you're half way there, keep up the good work- and give em a good ol' customer knows best if they pick on you again.
:hairpulling:
 
day 13


I go to my first PT session today. I have been up on my walker trying to get cleaned up and ready to go...the standing is SO PAINFUL! My legs get stiff when I am washing my face or fixing my hair, I hope this goes away as it is similar to the stiffness I felt with my arthritic knees.

Still very little sleep. My other obstacle I have to figure out is pain meds. They only give me enough for five days. I am taking 2 every four hours. I will run out at 10:00am tomorrow and I can not pick them up until 4:00 pm tomorrow.So, I either go without any for 8 hours tomorrow - or I cut my dose in half and try to make them last if I can.?? This is an on going thing. It is probably the one factor that will make me NEVER have major surgery again. It is not fair that legit people who need the drugs are treated like criminals.

All in all I think I am doing well. I feel emotional, and tired. But everyday there is a little hint of healing....something new. The stairs get a bit easier each day. Thanks for your feedback on the pain meds issue. Talk again tomorrow! :)
 
13 days I'm not surprised at the pain -- but I bet you that the deep, awful pain inside the knee is gone. And I bet that if you get standing dead right, with your knees locked backwards, it's much less painful cos the muscles aren't working so much.

Yes the stiffness goes; the more you can relax and ice now the better.

Yes America seems to be paranoid about drugs doesn't it? Not quite as bad here, but we're getting worse too IMO.
 
I feel so badly for you and totally understand your frustration with pain meds. I don't know why the medical profession thinks people who need pain management will turn into drug addicts. Better to let them be in pain then to have them comfortable and then possible become addicted??? It makes no sense to me and is my biggest fear as well. I know people have probably told you to ask your GP but have you considered a pain management doctor? They may give you more pain meds...I finally went to see one when my OS would not give me even a small number of pain pills to get me through my worse nights (few and far between) and the pain management doctor had not problem giving me a script for 60 percoset (5/325 mg).

Hugs
Denise
 
How did things go,in PT Gazelle? Thinking of you!


Harplayer....PT went fine, I do not like it, but, I will go and do what is expected of me. Feeling a bit depressed today...just laying here at close to noon in bed with a bag of ice... did a few of my exercises...they have it written down to do fives times a day.....I really doubt it. I know I am not that motivated. This afternoon I have to go get my blood thinner levels checked...get all dressed for nothing....whoopee! Had to cut my pain meds in half in order to not run out today. Maybe that is why I feel so achy, and not motivated. Two weeks today girl for you and me...I am not seeing the horizon yet....I hope it comes soon. how are you feeling?
 
I am not seeing the horizon yet
You are absolutely in the lowest time. Your body is soaking up your energy to heal. It was ambushed by a maniac with swords, knives, saws, hammers and all sorts of stuff and it's tough.

That's why the exercises at this stage should be EASY. The rocking chair thing for flexion is absolutely the best IMO because you don't have to do anything at all, hardly. The skateboard number (see my exercises thread) is good, too, as is the simple extension stretch shown there. Don't do any training exercises at all FGS, you don't have the energy, and if the stretches are tougher than the ones I've described, don't do them either.

Above all DON'T put yourself under pressure, you don't need it. Relax, watch the telly, eat chocolate, buy shoes on-line, whatever.
 
You are absolutely in the lowest time. Your body is soaking up your energy to heal. It was ambushed by a maniac with swords, knives, saws, hammers and all sorts of stuff and it's tough.

That's why the exercises at this stage should be EASY. The rocking chair thing for flexion is absolutely the best IMO because you don't have to do anything at all, hardly. The skateboard number (see my exercised thread) is good, too, as is the simple extension stretch shown there. Don't do any training exercises at all FGS, you don't have the energy, and if the stretches are tougher than the ones I've described, don't do them either.

Above all DON'T put yourself under pressure, you don't need it. Relax, watch the telly, eat chocolate, buy shoes on-line, whatever.


I LOVE YOU ROY!!! :kittykiss: You are just what the doctor ordered! I am going to go look at the exercises you have posted. I am just feeling sorry for myself... I will snap out of it...but I like that suggestion to go buy myself something....good idea! :)
 
I LOVE YOU ROY!!! :kittykiss: You are just what the doctor ordered!
:blush: Awwwwww....

Wait a minute, on second thoughts just what a man likes, a grateful woman, soon I will be knocking on your door and [cont. p. 983]


Seriously, soon YOU TOO will be giving the same message to other new BTKR and TKR people (I actually believe the energy drain is greater for BTKR).
 
Question for those who know...

I left hospital with a dose of 1 to 2 oxycodone Hcl. 5mg every 4to 6hours. I have been taking 2every 4hours.
I am now on day 15 since surgery and the new bottle reads:
EVERY 6to 8 hours. Same dose.

Is this normal at this point for them to change the frequency you take your pills? I thought it rather early in the game,
But this is a game I have never played before. No one told me there would be a change in dose on the phone or otherwise.
Any input appreciated!
 
Gazeelle, I am on the 10 mg every 4 hours but also get 2 long term doeses a day, or long acting I think is the correct terminology. Why dont you call dr and see if he will leave dose alone for another week?
 
It is normal for them to suggest that your meds will be cut back---but usually, they speak to you about it. It is okay to call and tell them that you are still in pain. Also, try one pill ever three hours and see how that works.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom