Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you're home tomorrow.
 
GAZELLE!!! FINALLY I have found your post! I am thinking about you and sending you well wishes! I know these days must be hard for you but its all uphill from here!! HUGS! Luisa
 
Yes, I am going home tomorrow ! I am getting around quite well! I know I have a long road ahead but I dream of the day I can go for a walk, and not be in pain. It is amazing just how good I am doing just a little over 24 hours since surgery. Really amazing!
 
BRAVO Gazelle777!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!!! :happydance: :yay: :friends:
 
Congratulations Gazelle, welcome to the other side where life will get better and more pain free! Go slow sweetie, there is no rush to this recovery! Enjoy every pain free moment my friend! The pain you feel now is NOT the pain you felt yesterday! :thumb:

Stay well and stay positive my friend! :friends:
 
Great to hear you are doing so well!

Yes, its truly is wonderful to get out and back to your own home and bed.
Click those ruby red slippers together and repeat, "there's no place like home" "there's no place like home". :)
 
Also in the Great Northwest. What a wonderful spring/early summer we're having! You'll be out of the hospital and able to enjoy the great weather. I did my rehab in the rainy winter. Ugh. Hope things continue to go smoothly.
 
I am just going home from hospital today(had my surgery on June 4th). About when do your knees start to feel like they are healing? Is there that magical week number when you said to yourself "I am glad I did this."?
 
There is typically a period of about 4-6 weeks where recovery is in the early stages and people often feel "Why did I do this?" Don't worry about it, it does get better.

By month for me.

- 1: Will this EVER end?
- 2: I seem to be getting about OK now
- 3: This is better than before surgery
- 4: Wow I can do things I haven't been able to do for years.
- 6: This is great

- 12: I thought 6 was great, but this REALLY IS great.

At 18 months almost to the day I now ride my bike and play table tennis limited only by skill and fitness, not by knees.
 
That is very hopeful Roy! I am 9 mos out and still stiff and sore! But I am glad I had it done, even though I am not where I want to be yet. But I see little things happening all the time. Yesterday, I needed to cut my toenails. Before I even realized it, I easily put my tkr leg up on a chair bent in front of me. I remember before my knee was never straight up in the air, it used to be out to the side a bit. So little by little things just come in their own time. Good luck!
 
Thanks for the input. It helps give me a perspective to focus on. :)
 
I am just going home from hospital today(had my surgery on June 4th). About when do your knees start to feel like they are healing? Is there that magical week number when you said to yourself "I am glad I did this."?
In the early days, as have been stated, you are in the "dark days of recovery." Nothing seems to work right and it takes a great deal of effort to move both of them.

I had a slight little limp for about five months and then went away over night. I felt really pretty darned good at eight months---90%-95%. Now---I go for days without thinking that the knees are over 50 years younger than me.

Remember, recovery can take much longer than we might expect it to---and some say it takes a year to return to "normal." Patience is a must in this type of surgical recovery.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013
gazelle7777, good to hear that you are doing so well with your two brand new knees---it will take a little time to break them in properly, and home is the best place to do that.

Just follow the BoneSmart mantra to the letter, and you will have the best possible recovery. Just keep in mind the TIME & PATIENCE are the key---you have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give your knee the TIME it needs to heal at its own rate. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013
 
Finally at 21 months my knee is starting to feel normal, some of us are on the slow train, others are on the fast train. Just glad it is feeling better. This was posted by my friend Mylow (my life on wheels)
Some Quit Due To Slow Progress, Never Grasping The Fact That Slow Progress...
...is Progress.
 
Something to ponder---it took our knees, for the most part, years of steady decline before we finally came to the realization that we needed a TKR or a BTKR. When we consider this, and when we consider what was done surgically to the knee or the knees---the trauma---the healing time and recovery time, while slow, is not nearly as long.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom