Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottoms hollow: I was worried that if I did not start the PT right away, I would not get the right bend etc in my knees. As mentioned, my doc is big on PT. he keeps reminding me I have to work very hard. What is a person to do? I personally would like to give my knee one week of healing with gentle exercise that they showed me during hospital stay. Then start PT.
 
Today was my first full day home. All in all I had a good day. Got about on my walker, tried to figure out how to gather and carry things by attaching two plastic grocery bags . looks so TRASHY-but hey it works! Tomorrow I get to remove the bandages off my stitches, and take a shower! My how the simple things sound like a luxury to me! My pain is pretty well controlled ,at least today with what I am taking.


Edited...I got up and tried to prepare dinner....my legs said NO! Now I am back laying down waiting for 6pm when I get to take more pain pills...
 
gazelle7777 with my first TKR, my out-patient therapist would push me so hard, I would scream in pain. All it accomplished was making my leg swell and my flex to decrease. Hubby finally had to say something because I would cry for three days after.
This time, we have already started "interviewing" out-patient therapy clinics. If pushing hard and pain are in their goal. I won't go.
Remember the tortise won the race, not the hare.
Also they are physical therapists, not physical torturists.
 
Your surgery date showed up just fine. As others have said, do not be in a hurry here---slow and patient is the key here...and do not be in a hurry to get foing with PT---just take it easy and do your gentle exercises.
 
Let's see . . . you want a week to rest but you are going to go to pt because . . . you are pleasing other people--your doc, your pt. Now, does that make sense?

I can tell you that with my last surgery, I stayed at home mostly on the couch on in bed with my knee propped up with three pillows for three weeks!! At home, I did gentle stretches and leg lifts. When i went to pt, we still kept it gentle. My pt has NEVER hurt me at all. My rom in that knee is 148---I just measured it today. So do not drive yourself crazy worrying about rom. Did you read those articles about rom that I gave you ? you do not have a limited time to get your rom. My doc stressed that if you try to exercise on an inflamed and hot knee, you increase the chance of developing adhesions. So, follow your own heart and rest for a week. Your pt will get over it!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013 If you want a week to heal --- then take that week to heal. Your doctor is working for you---although he probably doesn't think so---and they're your knees, not his. And I can almost promise you that he hasn't had a TKR himself----so he has no personal experience whatsoever of what recovering from knee replacement is like. Make your own decision about PT--- do what you feel is right for you.
 
I was worried that if I did not start the PT right away, I would not get the right bend etc in my knees. As mentioned, my doc is big on PT. he keeps reminding me I have to work very hard. What is a person to do?
You can tell your doc that you need to let your knee relax and rest for a little bit. As others have siad, you can get by at this stage of the game by doing gentle exercises. I cannot emphasize enough that the harder you work, the more angry your knee will get and the more swollen and stiff the knee will become.

There is also this misconception about the "window for ROM'---hogwash, or as was said by Colonel Potter on MASH---"horse hockey"! You need to rest, heal, and take it easy---the exercises that you are doing will suffice.
 
Gazelle,
Way to go ! :egypdance:I had surgery the day before you so, sorry I'm posting so late :friends:
Welcome to the "other side" :yes!:I hope you show improvement every day :yahoo:
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Gazelle, I empathize with the confusion u must feel with PT and OS telling you one thing and your heart and bonesmart telling you different. Its usually the patient listening to the DR but after all the stories we have read its easy to see whats really in our best interest. Be strong by being good to yourself and taking it easy for a few days. I am trying to make sure my hubby hears the bonesmart mantra so he can help advocate for me or at the very least not stand Iin my way when I speak up. I only hope I can find a "good fit" PT in the rehab and after I aam home. Hang in there and know we are all thinking of you!
 
The standard protocoll at my hospital is for no organized PT - the hospital PT tells you the exercises to do and gives you an illustration sheet - these mainly follow the Bonesmart mantra av gentle ROM exercises such as heel-slides and stretches and to do small amounts of walking in the house. Then they measure your ROM on the day you leave and trust you to get on with your exercises 2-3 times/day. If you need extra help then you can call the district PT in your hometown. But most people do their own exercises

You get a recall of assessment at 6 weeks with the hospital PT where they re-measure - but are warned against overdoing things and to stop any activities that cause pain and/or swelling

So compared to the US system it is very relaxed here - without any formal PT
 
Good Sunday morning !

Day six since surgery- my second day home. Still have a lot of discomfort, pain and swelling. Today sometime hubby is going to help me get into the shower. I was told to go ahead and remove the tape from my stitches . I almost do not want to see them! They are not pretty!

I still do not sleep well. Part of it is because I am pretty much stuck on my back--Turning onto my side feels good for a short while, but, it is hard to lift my legs to a comfortable place.

I have noticed two new positive outcomes to all the pain. Besides my legs being straight :happydance: , I can tell that I am taller(my legs were very bowed out before), AND before surgery it was very painful to lift anything heavy--the bones in my knees would grind and moan :groan: This morning I picked up a pot of water and I did not feel THAT old pain. I try to look for positive things in the mist of this storm!

Thanks for all the encouragement and good advise! Diane , You go girl! i love reading your recovery thread. looks like Harplayer has started a recovery thread as well!

My first PT is on Tuesday. I am really going to chat with her and make sure we are both on the same page.

One thing for sure....I Never have missed my pain pills....I look forward to them every four hours :beg: I hope I do not feel the need for them and less of them as the weeks go by. That will be another mile mark in the journey.

You all, this sight and my iPad , are such a blessing to me :angel:

:angel:
 
Hey Gazelle, just found your thread after your nice comments in mine! I had a similar experience to your surgery. They got me in the room, told me they were going to give me a sedative to relax me, I came to about 3.5 hours later in the recovery room. Not sure how much more relaxed you can get. The spinal or epidural pain blocker was unbelievable, I didn't have any pain until they took that out.

It's amazing that you went right home. I'm relatively young for a BTKR and I spent a week in rehab. I would of been fine to go home after a week from surgery, I spent the first 3 days in the hospital. The first few days in rehab I was asleep 3/4s of the time and not much able to take care of myself.

As for your shower, if no one discussed this with you... My therapist at the rehab clinic showed me how to get in the shower / tub. Face the shower wall, lean forward and put both hands on the back wall, then swing one leg over. Once one leg was in, you can pull in the other leg. I also used a bath chair for a few weeks. Feels great running the hot water on the knees when I'm in the chair. I still use it on and off when they're sore.
 
Mykneesarecooked: , thanks for your post! I am having a pretty pain full day today. I did get that first showedr. I am showering in the tub with a chair to sit on. Can I say it was rough getting in! Saw my stitches for the first tim...will post them as soon as I figure out how to on my iPad. You were very young to have joint replacement!

I hope my recovery is going as it should. I feel tired, in pain and cranky :gaah: :gaah: .my poor husband is trying so hard to play nurse but he just does not know how-LOL!
 
Gazelle, your recovery is going just as YOUR recovery should go. I think you are doing great. Wish I had such a good recovery. However, no matter how fast or slow, painful or not, swollen or not , you will move forward at your own pace. Then one day you will wonder ( as I did) what is wrong today??!! Nothing was wrong and everything was right for the first time in many, many years. I was pain free and walking!!!:happydance:
 
One thing for sure....I Never have missed my pain pills....I look forward to them every four hours
That is great! Very wise of you!

My first PT is on Tuesday. I am really going to chat with her and make sure we are both on the same page.
Excellent idea---set the "ground rules" before you begin.

I still do not sleep well. Part of it is because I am pretty much stuck on my back--Turning onto my side feels good for a short while
Sleep issues are normal---and I fell your discomfort, too---I could only sleep a short time---I ended up in the recliner for the better part of three weeks. I longed to be able to get comfortable---it will happen, a little slower than you would like it to, but it will arrive.
 
DAY. # 7

Another restless night. I get a little sleep a hour or so after taking my meds. I call it my window. I did call the PT people and rescheduled to start PT NEXT week instead of this week. I am going to listen to my body and i also have two appointments to go to this week and I think that will be enough with my not feeling at my peak of energy.

I have CANKLES....fat ankles today :yikes: Never have had them in my life :(....I am elevating and icing.

Resting until I have to get ready to go out of the house and have my blood drawn for warfarin levels. Those darn stairs are my challenge today. Up two flights and down two flights.

UPDATE: just came back from having my blood drawn. I have to double my warfarin as my blood was still too thick. I also hoped to get a refill on my pain medication...I find it so strange that the insurance will only give
me enough to get through 4 1/2 days?? So on Wenesday I run out at 10am and my husband can not pick them up until Wenesday. I am taking 2pills every four hours. Has anyone else found these strict rules with pain pills difficult?. Just wondering if it was just Blue Cross insurance or across the board?.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom