THR Gizmo home again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news gizmo

You are definitely joining the human race again. - well done :)
 
Nanamac - you are right!! Time is our friend. Patience our companion, sometimes loved, sometimes not so. My consultant said he was disappointed with my stiffness. I know he just wanted a sooner recovery for me. However even though he didn't say it (or even think it) I did feel that he was disappointed with me. All this time alone and the lack of sleep probably- on the journey home I was telling myself that is not what he said. So your kind words were very apt at the momment- thankyou.:friends:
Gizmo
 
Not with you, with your progress - big difference. Progress is something that we go through or that happens to us, not something we do or can influence.
 
Gizmo

I have been following your thread as you were "done" the day before me.

I think you are really doing fine.

Recovery is not a straight line process for any of us - I don't care what you might see elsewhere on the net.

I think you will get much more realistic advice on this site than some of the medical professionals!

Its not very helpful of you consultant to imply he was dissappointed in your progress - I suggest you ignore that and concentrate on the positive side.

Think where you will be in only another few months.

All the best

Dave
 
Hi Gizmo,

I hope that you have a nice weekend and get some good sleep, even if that includes some naps here and there. The disruptive sleep and inordinate amount of time we spend thinking about and researching our hip issues and worrying about our recovery can make the whole process seem all consuming. I have found that this lightens up as you continue to move forward from your follow-up appointment and start encountering some positive milestones.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi,
Thankyou Jo, Dave, Cardie and Nanamac. What the consultant actually said I think was fine. It was my brains interpretation that was the problem. Tiredness does that I guess. I was even telling myself that it was my progress not me that he was disappointed in, like Jo said. I know it, but that's one thing and feeling it is something else. The physio I have been seeing seems to just accept my progress for what it is. He has commented that as I was struggling to walk properly for a long time leading up to the op then it will take time. II am actually incredibly greatful to the consultant and I do feel that he has done a brilliant job on my new hip. I guess it's the physios job to take me forward now and they will have seen a whole spectrum of recoverys. I do feel much better and I can do more than last week, that must be enough I guess.And it is wonderful to have such great support here as it really does make such a difference. I am really stiff under my knee and upward -so bending my leg doesn't come easily, besides the general stiffness.
THANKS TO YOU ALL
Gizmo:thumb:
 
Now using one crutch for around the house and managing a bit longer walk outside (with both crutches). YIPEE!!:dancy:
Gizmo
 
My surgeon told me today that your brain readjusting to a new gait is what normally takes the full "year of healing". I know that I forget that I don't need to do things certain ways anymore. You're coming along brilliantly Giz!
 
Jess- that does make a lot of sense. It is like having to re-program yourself. The physio told me to make sure I bend my knee to walk and to land on my heel. It is so strange as it just happens on the other leg and I have to remind myself consciously for it to happen with the operated leg. I was walking with an almost straight leg before he commented. The muscles behind and just above my knee are very stiff so I was probably trying to protect them. I guess our bodies have been sending all sorts of off kilter messages to the brain in an attempt to keep us from some of the pain. And now it's time to get back on track. I think I might have walked a bit far this morning as I ache.It is a milestone though as it is further than I would have managed before my op. It is exhausting having to think about each step though.
All the best
Gizmo
 
Hi,
My update is mixed really. Still struggling with the stiffness but there is some improvement. A physio checked me out today and was happy with my hip and knee joints. She felt my difficulties were muscular and having to learn with a more normal gait. I am now doing physio once a week and hydrotherapy once a week . I do think they will help. I will try to get to the pool myself inbetween times. I haven't been able to drive and that was frustrating so we have now sold my car and bought an automatic.I felt sad but it is probably the right decision. Well its "a" decision and I will just have to make it the right decision! I do like my car . It was an embarassing start when on my first journey out (without husband) I met a car on a tricky narrow bit and I made a hash of reversing and kept people waiting . New car, new to automatic and not having driven for a while all combined together I guess. Apart from that the rest of the journey went well. I did a couple of previous drives with my husband supporting me and they were good. Tomorrow is a new day and I'll give it another go. Feel more nervous about it now than I did yesterday. Friends have been so wonderful collecting the kids from school for so long but I need to get back into the swing of it now.
 
Hello Gizmo,

I thought about you the other night and wondered how you were doing!

Lovely to hear from you. I'm sure the PT and hydrotherapy will help with the muscles, I get stiff still. I'm sure it takes time for everything to completely heal properly. Plus we are all different.

Yikes on the car, don't feel bad though, after you've driven a couple of times you will be back to normal.

Sending lots of love,

Sarah
 
Hi Gizmo (my October Feistie friend:)

I think you are doing fantastically well!

Pool work is just the best, I try to do it twice or three times a week, it is so easy and gentle on the joints isn't it? I am always being prompted not to stay in too long.. I love the zero gravity. It is hard when one gets out and gravity takes over again :)

Regards the new car, I am sure you will get used to it, it always takes time to learn the nuances of a new care even for someone who hasn't had surgery..

Give yourself a gold star for moving ahead so well.. The stiffness and improving your gait will all come with time.

Lots of love,
Sandy xx
 
Thanks for the encouragement Sarah and Sandy. I did need it. I will go for a drive this morning - not far though. Just enough to stop a build up of concern throughout the day which would probably happen if I wait until its time to pick up my boys. Once I am comfortable with the automatic it will be a great step forward. Last week a friend took me to the beach and I was able to walk on the sand all the way down to the breakers and I loved it! :dancy:
All the best Gizmo
 
Be gentle on yourself....

The beach news sounds yummy! I would love to get out to the beach right now, that has to be a little tough too walking on the sand BRAVO!!

I take for granted driving an automatic and find it easy to swtich back to a stick shift if needed. Im sure if I had only driven stick to switch now would be odd, your feet probably dont know what to do with each other HAHAHAH sorry not laughing at you Gizmo, promise! You will get the hang of it, it is easier to drive!

Stay in touch we missed you!!

xxooxx
 
Hi,
Sarah-The beach was not only wonderful but because the sand was damp it was hard and so easy to walk on. It was an unexpected accomplishment. Already I am getting used to the automatic and haven't had any more mishaps. It was the best decision I could have made as it feels as if I have moved to another stage of recovery as I am less reliant on other people.
I did get very disheartened a couple of weeks ago when I went to a group physio gym class and wasn't even good enough to be in the group. People older than me and some who had ops after me were able to do things easily that I was really struggling with or found impossible. I know we all progress differently but combined with not being able to drive my car it was a low point.
I am doing some studying though so that is giving me an alternative focus which is really positive.
Bye for now
Gizmo
 
Gizmo, You doing great. Remember this will take the time it needs and don't push it because you don't want to get set back. It great that you are going to a group physio gym class. Keep it up but take care. Tashia:doggieshmooze:
 
Hi Gizmo!!!! Hugggs! I'm also experiencing muscular problems and I know it can be depressing. Try to stay positive and just keep plugging along... that's what I'm doing. Are you still using a cane? I am :( I think I'm going to take up painting to keep my mind off of things. Love and lots of huggs.
 
Hi lisa -if I go on a walk I do still need a crutch. If it was a long bumpy lane walk I would use two crutches so that I can do a reasonable distance. I am trying to do short flat walks without which is great to be able to but I am wobbly and have nearly tripped over things a few times which is scary. So a bit mixed really. I am making progress and physio is helping.

I managed the beach again yesterday. :yahoo:It was softer this time and much harder work but I made it. Happy to reach the breakers. I am getting used to the automatic and drove further yesterday than I have previously. The boys seem so happy that I can drive again and have been really encouraging -so that is a confidence boost. This week I am going to drive to the pool and do some extra exercises on my own. I'm not ready to swim yet but that will be such a boost when I reach that milestone. Are we supposed to avoid breast stroke? If so how long for?
All the best
Gizmo:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom