THR Gizmo home again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gizmo,

I experienced the sensation of my leg feeling longer than the other for a while after surgery -- after the swelling abates more you will start to feel more even. It took a few months for me, actually, but yours may happen sooner. Remember to ice you hip through out the day that also helps with the swelling. In addition to medication for pain I also took an anti-inflammatory for a few months after surgery.

I'll let Jo comment on your pain descriptions, she's very good at helping us stay on top of our pain and our meds.

Lastly, I did notice that my leg seemed to line up a bit differently after surgery as well. I guess it's also something to do with that nice round ball and socket that's been installed and maybe some of the realignment of the muscles, etc., as well.

I hope that your PT goes well on Tuesday!
Take care,
Cardie
 
PT went well.It was good manageable advice that made sense. :dancy:So this week I am doing my exercises, increasing my walking and seem to be moving in the right direction. Pain has really dropped -I'm amazed. Sleeping is improving but still not great!!! Husband is exhausted and fed up. I'm hoping to get some help with cleaning next week as my house is suffering, hopefully this will help my husband too.
Keep plodding along,
Gizmo
 
Sounds like you're doing great Gizmo.

The leg length feeling will probably disappear in time. I remember feeling taller at first and like my leg was a bit too long. It feels fine now but I can't remember how long it was before the feeling went away:scratch:

My gait is very different now though too I'm walking in a totally different way to how I did pre-op (much better). Not sure if you've seen the advice about ditching pre-op shoes due to walking differently? Great excuse to hit the shops! But seriously, it does make a difference. The 'wear pattern' on the soles of my post op shoes is so much more even than it ever was before. Old shoes worn for any length of time make me achey.

I found it extremely frustrating watching my husband and other people doing stuff! You know you should be grateful but it's hard when they don't do it 'your way'. Don't be tempted....it will be good if you can get some help. Our other halves are travelling the same journey but with a different view - I know my hubby got stressed during the early days of my recovery. It was a difficult time for both of us but in different ways - there were a few cross words!

Hang on in there.:biggrin:
 
Hi Lisan,
That sound like good advice regarding shoes- when I can get out to the shoe shop I will. It does make sense. I have not had a good gait for years now it seems strange to think of walking without limping.
It is really difficult for all the family. A friend helped me for a day this week with lots of little jobs that I just cannot do. I felt so grateful to the point of feeling really emotional. I do wish I could help more but know I musn't.
Gizmo
 
Hi Gizmo,

I agree with Lisa's suggestion on the shoes. Between no longer needing a lift and walking differently on the soles of my feet having a fresh start with shoes has been really helpful.

Do you have any outpatient PT, or are you still working on the Phase 2 exercises? I found that once I moved to outpatient PT and some physical stretching by the therapist that my gait/stride opened up more and I felt less of a limp. It takes a while and can make you feel like it's never going to go away, but it gradually does get better.

When you are feeling "blue" about the help that you still need just try to envision that by this time next year you'll be able to do so many more things and won't need to have as much assistance from everyone else. It is good that you aren't doing more, it's important to take it easy so that your hardware settles into the proper place and your body heals correctly in these early months of recuperation. Keep supervising...:thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Gizmo

Please dont feel pressure on yourself because things that used to get done now as a temporary measure don't.

You really have to think about primarily about yourself for this early healing period.

Having said that, I do think sometimes we can forget that our recovery does impact on family members but at the end of the day this is really a very short time in the overall scale of things.

Soon things will not be back to normal but much much better.

Dave
 
Gizmo, I know what you mean about the "pins and needles". It happens to me also but it only happens for a few seconds then goes away. The first 7 to 8 weeks post op I couldn't sleep either (I think that is normal) and it wasn't because any pain in my hip... it was pain in my foot. It's like I had restless foot syndrome... it drove me nuts! I put a heating pad on it and finally I got some relief. If I remember correctly you had hip Dysplasia also. They added 1" to my leg length and that pulled all my mucles and my sciatic nerve. Maybe that is why we get the "Pins and needles" pain.
 
Top tip for practising walking once you're up to it Gizmo - shopping centres! Nice smooth even floors, you don't look odd if you have to stop and rest because it just looks like you are window shopping. There are coffee shops and benches where you can have a nice sit too. I found it much easier with crutches to be walking about indoors than outside - you don't realise how uneven pavements are until you are a bit wobbly on crutches!

Try and stay patient, where you are at now is a real emotional roller coaster - it can be tough. It will pass, stay positive, there's a beginning, a middle and an end to everything. :friends:
 
Hi Gizmo, Glad to see you doing well. I had the same problem with pins and needles the first week. I found if you do your foot excise and wriggled my toes it did go away. When I was in hospital they put foot pads on my feet and that kept the circulation going. When your swelling goes down and you can take that stocking off things will start to come right.
 
Hi everyone- it is just so reassuring chatting to people who understand. I think lack of sleep makes the roller coaster ride seem more intense. Also, my husband works long hours. He is doing a lot to help but is still working long hours and I can see he is finding it hard.

Lisa- I think you are right about the muscles and nerves being stretched. It is mainly my foot pain that is stopping me sleep I think. I think it has lessened the last few days. You said you used a heating pad. I find a hot water bottle useful.

Cardie-I am still having PT at home at the moment. I will have outpatient PT at some point though. Good to hear that you've found it useful. What sort of things did you do?

Lisan- shopping centres sound great! In fact the idea of going out and feeling ordinary again sounds great!!! I know what you mean about bumpy surfaces as my walks are on an uneven country lane. The cars really scare me. Just being out of the house for a little while is very theraputic though.

Thanks for all the replies. All the best with your recoveries.:thumb:
Gizmo
 
Gizmo said,"Cardie-I am still having PT at home at the moment. I will have outpatient PT at some point though. Good to hear that you've found it useful. What sort of things did you do?"

Hi Gizmo,

I also had PT at home for a bit and then took about 1 month before I started the outpatient PT because I was still feeling too tender to exercise yet.

In my PT I did a little warm up on either an elliptical machine or bike and then did some of the leg related weight machines, primarily one legged as my body knew how to "cheat" the weight from before surgery. I was working to build strength in leg and buttock muscles. I did a few exercises on occasion with the thera band tied around my legs, ankle circles with an ankle weight, eccentric quad exercises that were on the stairs, treadmill to open up my stride. Lastly, I spent time on the table having my legs stretched to work on range of motion and general flexibility of my leg muscles -- loved the big hamstring stretch!! I went on the biodex machine once or twice but that bothered my lower back so I didn't offer to do it very often.

I was always amazed at how well I could walk out of the PT building after my therapy! I used to joke that it looked like I was one of the tennis players as the building was housed in a racquet club!

Oh, and do remember to nap during the day -- it helps when you are not getting a good nights sleep and also while you are adjusting to all the physical activity that comes when you begin outpatient PT and/or just being up and about with more frequency.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hey Giz! While I was in Ohio my computer disagreed with the internet. I'm so sorry you're still having a bit of a rough go, but you're barely over a month out so keep taking it easy and things will come back faster and faster!
 
Hi Giz, I echo Jessica's wise words.

It's that terrible word 'patience' over and over again and those small milestones.

You will get there xx
 
Hi,
My friend came to see me today after about 5 days interval. She cheered me up so much when she told me she could see a really noticable difference in my mobility. I guess we do need telling. You are right Jess and smja patience is the name of the game. I have just had my stockings changed- they were too small and the discomfort was not helping my morale!! Walking on air now.:dancy:

:friends:Thanks from Gizmo
 
Hi,
I am so amazed how much difference the last few days have made. I feel so much more confident on my feet. I went out for lunch after my six week check and then my husband waited outside while I went in to pick up my son from school. I started to feel the beat of everyday life again. :dancy: Apart from my muscles still being stiff things seem ok overall. Just a matter at working with the physio to get my fitness back I guess.
Best wishes
Gizmo
 
That and time honey. Things were bad for a long time before the surgery remember so that threw off all the mechanics in your body as well. Now everything is re-learning how to do it right!

Patience is so hard in recovery, yet there is really nothing we can do to hurry things along. Howerever, there are many things we can do to hinder it, and that is trying to do too much too soon.

You are exactly where you are supposed to be! Be kind and gentle to yourself and accept the fact that it is what it is...a short term situation. In the over all scheme of things even one year is a very short term.

You are doing fantastic! Hang in there...
 
Great news Gizmo!! I envision you feeling the beat of life again, a wonderful description. Enjoy your psyio, I hope you find it helpful.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom