THR Gizmo home again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Has anybody else had a problem with shop esculators? I thought OK I can do this but once committed realised the tricky part would be getting off! I kind of embarrasingly stumbled off at the top and got some funny looks.:blush:No damage done. I had a strange thought oh no now I am stuck here -before thinking I expect they have a lift. More a momentary panic than a real logical thought I guess.

I am still making progress albeit on my own trajectory. We had our first mini holiday since my op. ,one night away. It was certainly more relaxing than going away last year pre op when I was in constant pain, so that gave me a lot of hope that my level of holiday enjoyment will rise substantially this year even if I am struggling to keep up and limited in some of what I can do.:dancy:

Although I was sad to see my old car go; I have not really looked back since buying the automatic. Its comfortable and I really enjoy driving it- even if my hand is waving in mid air searching for a non existant gear stick at times! My husband continues to do the morning school run which is wonderful and really helpful. Has anyone else had to make this change to automatic? If anyone is tempted to I would say go for it.:thumb:

I am going to go to a slimmers meeting tonight. Usually when I want to lose weight I just cut down on food and up my exercise. However I must now be at my heaviest ever.:blush:I don't dare even get on the scales-but I know they will make me do that. UGH!! I will not be allowed to continue in denial. I am hoping that the extra support a group will provide will help my motivation. I will report back here.

I am still doing hydrotherapy which is great. I am limited as I can only propel myself- with floats- across the small pool. I used to swim a lot until my hip lost its rotation and I lost my ability to swim.The day I had to get out of the pool because my leg was just dragging was a real low point for me, that was last June. When I can get in the big pool and swim a length will be a real high point. At least getting back in the water, even for exercises makes me feel I am moving towards my goal. Swimming will be good for long term recovery if I can manage it again.

Having the car means I am less isolated than I felt for those first three months and that is a real positive. I guess to sum up where I am at it would have to be plodding in the right direction. Learning to enjoy the benefits of where I am at compared to where I was. Even if its not exactly where I want to be at the moment it's so much better than where I was last summer. Also, by then I was deteriorating so fast that I am happy I don't really need to contemplate where I would have been without the op. I am happy with the choice I made and would make the same choice again.:yay:
Wishing everyone a good week
Gizmo

Hi Gizmo, your post brought back my bad memories of escalator nightmares. Pre-op I wouldn't use them at all. Just couldn't move fast enough to get on and off! I was so afraid of falling.

Post-op I didn't attempt them until I was totally confident on one crutch. Sometimes they just move too fast for a new hippie.

I didn't have to make the switch to automatic. I have a Smart car so it has gears but no clutch to push! :yes 4:

Morning Gizmo and Jaycey...

That's scary! I did the exact same thing pre-op it was at the airport coming in late from a quick trip, had a small carry on bag on wheels plus had heels on. The escalator was very very steep i had to go down and I was a terrified fool and ended up walking forever looking for an elevator.

Gizmo you sound fabulous! Glad the car is working out once you get use to an automatic it's so easy, i sometimes miss a stick normally the time when I want to think I'm Mario Andretti hehehehehe!!

I'm excited for you with your new slimmers club. Did you join one of those websites to track your food or will this new club have a similar program. I am finding if I write down daily it helps me! Is also sometimes deceiving what foods really are loaded with meaning carbs, sodium etc. You can do it just getting organized I think sometimes that's the hardest part its getting the home ready and planning the meals for the week. I've been super focused the last few weeks with routine, really watching my portion sizes it's scary to think a good salad is a cup or two of mixed dressing, 3 oz of chicken and a tbsp of dressing its tiny! I'm down 14lbs and already feel brilliant, still have a way to go soooooo hurry up and come along :)

I'll be thinking of you this week!

xxooxx

Jaycey and Sarah,
Glad it wasn't just me having esculator panics! I did feel (and looked :scratch:) really silly. I vow to leave esculators alone for a while. I can live without esculators.

Wow Sarah 14lbs is a wonderful start. Well done. Have you done anything to reward yourself. I have been to my first meeting this evening. I have never been to a slimming group before. I have signed on until May. I have info to read, but they do expect you to write it down and control portion sizes. For me I think the greatest motivator will be having to weigh in each week- that should make it easier to avoid temptation. Hopefully by May I will be on the right track and can be more self motivating.

Tomorrow I am going to go to the swimming pool and try to do a length, kicking my feet and holding a float. If I manage this it goes down as another milestone. I mainly swam breaststroke- but am supposed to avoid it now. I'll report back on how I got on.

Bye for now
Gizmo

Not silly at all Gizmo. You are working within you confidence level. Nothing wrong with that!

Enjoy your swim. Yes, I was told to avoid the breaststroke as well. I am sure you will find another way to move around in that water. Have fun!

Hi Gizmo,

I'm excited about your slimmers club if we were close together I would Tag along. I'm really making a effort to do new things to keep my mind of eating too. Right now I feel like I'm quitting smoking again fascinating how much time and effort is involved in eating food, even socially everything is food or drink related. My girlfriends do this wine club monthly and it's tomorrow I know this sounds silly I have to stay away this month. Glass of wine with appetizers ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. Promise not going to give that stuff up all together I just want to get a handle of my weight right now. Spring-summer is around the corner and a fun incentive to do this now!!

I asked my therapist about swimming, hope I'm not repeating myself tonight, he said YES I still haven't got the confidence to go yet, soooooo Gizmo you are my inspiration talking about it and as Nike would say your doing it! "just do it"

Night Night!

xxooxx

Hi Sarah,
I did get to the pool yesterday but was hit by the sudden realisation that I'm not up to those steep steps to get in. Maybe I could manage them maybe I couldn't but it did feel like a major challenge. One that might have ended doing more harm than good. So my target of a length is now on hold. However the smaller warm hydropool was quiet and has a slope to get in. This was lovely and more in line with my ability. I did some of my exercises in the water and then worked on my swimming. It did feel lovely to be in the water but doggy paddle was about my limit.:doggieshmooze:My operated leg felt so strange and stiff,not really part of me properly. I suffered with what I call "alien leg syndrome" on land for ages after my op (it just felt attached but not really me if that makes any sense((am sure quite often I don't)). I used to swim regularly and am used to feeling relaxed and comfortable in the water. Just as I had to learn to walk again now I need to learn to swim again. Long term though I know it will give me the best chances of returning to fitness. I worked hard but stuck to the advice of "half an hour" beyond this it can overdo it for the muscles, with time I'll build up again. I will try and go again tomorrow and even try and pursuade my family to come.

I was pleased with the first day of my diet. I haven't really read up on their recipies and systems yet but just the thought of a weigh in next week is a good motivator. I was aware that I was making good decisions eg a cup of tea no sugar instead of a latte coffee with sugar when I met my friend. And I did keep notes -that will keep those tempting biscuits undercontrol. So although early days I am optimistic. I have signed on for 3 months. It is important and I will be good. (That's me telling myself).

Do get to the pool if you can. Talking about it is an important first step. Have you got any extra warm pools or hydro pools near you ? What about using your monthly wine club as an incentive and motivator for next month ? Could you manage to go this month and tell yourself it is just for the company and pass on anything that might sabotage your plans- maybe a few fruity appetisers like grapes or melons- or would it be too tempting!!:cry::hairpulling: Maybe others would join you and you could be resolved together.:thumb:
Bye
Gizmo

Hi Gizmo,

Just reading about your visit to the pool. At our summertime, outdoor, pool there is a small set of steps that can be set into the water at the shallow end for people to use to get into and out of the pool more easily if they have physical issues and cannot use the steep ladders. Maybe if you ask at your pool they have some sort of similar device that would enable you to be able to get into the other pool for laps -- or maybe they should invest in this sort of thing for better access to the big pool...

Take care,
Cardie

Hi Cardie,
They do have a kind of hoist contraption they use to get some people in. I guess I'm hoping it won't be too long before I can manage it. I think if I did get in it would only be for such a short time and I'd want to go back to the warm pool for my exercises. I guess if I really felt ready for it I might get the courage to ask for help. More likely I'll get in one day and not be able to get out.:th_heehee: I can picture it happening so easily.
I am using my stick now even for my bumpy lane walks. I have been using a crutch still for those until recently. It is harder, so I will have to work at building up the distances to what I could manage with a crutch. Another challenge.The badgers have been really busy down the lane since my last walk- lots of digging.
Have a good weekend
Gizmo

Hey Gizmo

Try not to be too hard on yourself, it takes a long long time to get where you want to be, and plenty of determination which you don't appear to be short of, which is great.

Keep positive and let us know how u keep progressing, best wishes paul

Hi,
Generally I am happy with my progress , although quite slow I am delighted for the arthritus pain to be gone and I am aware that I am moving forward. I had deteoriated badly prior to my op( quick rant- I can't believe it was so difficult to get doctors to listen to me and actually believe that I really was struggling and that something was seriously wrong- rant over) which is possibly why my recovery is slower now?? However what is concerning me most at the moment is that after bouts of probably relatively mild exercise ( walking/ in the pool) I am aware of mid thigh pain. It's to the side of my thigh and about four inches up from my knee. It isn't excruciating but definitely uncomfortable. Could it be muscles? Could it be end of stem pain-or is it too far down? I would imagine its further down than the end of the stem but don't know how far from origin that kind of pain can radiate to. Is it likely to solve itself given time? How long should I give it before being more concerned? Questions questions questions !!! Anyone out there with any answers I would really appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
Gizmo

Gizmo, There is nothing wrong with asking question. I was taught as a kid there is never a dum question. Of course my parents might disagree with that if they could. :hysterical:I think they got to the point that If I asked one more question they would go:arghh:and:wacko:but they didn't so we all can ask any question we want. :yes 4:Sorry you had problem, but now you can start getting on your way to recover. Remember this is not a race, the important thing to remember is to get to full recover. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:

Hi Gizmo,

I wonder if it is your IT band? Maybe @Josephine: can give you an opinion.

Take care,
Cardie

Just what I would think, Cardie.

gizmo, if you make a tight fist and dig it deep into the area that's tender, if it's an IT band issue, then it will be exquisitely painful! Best treatment is to massage the area with your knuckles, pressing as hard as you can in small circular movements. quite likely you will find it is actually painful from the front of the knee, around the side, all the way up the outside of the thigh up to the hip. Apply acu-pressure to the entire area. Or better yet, go see a chiropractor and get him to do it for you! :wink1:
There are also stretches you can do Ilio-tibial band (ITB) issues and pain: exercises

Hi Gizmo,

Sorry you are having the pain issue, hopefully the massage will work it out and you will quickly feel better!

How is your slimmers club going? I thought of you the other day I cheated and had some tea with butter style biscuits-cookies they were so delicious, I only had half a ton NOOOO I'm joking hahahaha not that many!

Sending you lots of love,

xxooxx

Hi Jo and Cardie
IT band is definitely a possibility. A podiatrist told me I had IT band syndrome several years ago probably brought on or worsened by orthotics I'd been given for my archillies tendonitus but which had over compensated. The correct orthotics helped my tendonitus a great deal but the IT pain although it subsided at times never really went away. The IT ( or what I was assuming was IT pain) seemed to miraculously disappear at the time of my hip op. This has been amazing, as for years pre op I was having cramping all down my leg at night. Jo- I did push down on the area that gets painful and although it wasn't excruciating it is tender, in fact all along the outside of my thigh is tender when I push down. I am also finding the exercises that need strength in that part of my leg somewhere between difficult and impossible. Given my previous difficulties IT band sounds very plausible. Maybe it stopped playing up early days because it was being rested ?? Is that a likely explanation.

Sarah-those biscuits sounded so good. I wanted to pop over for tea and biscuits but its a long swim and my doggie paddle is not up to it yet. So I guess my diet is safe for today.:th_heehee: BUT even the best diets do need treats for most mere mortals at least. So enjoy. Tonight is my first weigh in since I have started. I haven't been following their regime- but writing down what I eat and saying "no thankyou" instead of "that looks nice" have been my main ploys and knowing I have that weigh in coming up has strengthened my resolve. If I can do this group effort for the three months that I have signed up for, then hopefully I can go it alone after that. I have given myself a first milestone and my prize is a cream egg.
All the best
Gizmo

Hi Gizmo,

If you are able to look at the thread that Jo included in her message those stretches that Alex has included at the end are very helpful!! I especially like the foam roller as it directly targets that stubborn fibrous IT band. It can be an uncomfortable stretch but if you go slowly and do some deep, cleansing breaths as you progress you will be able to build up tolerance and loosen up that IT band.

Interesting that you mention your orthotics may have contributed to some IT band issues in the past and I think it makes perfect sense because the way that you walk, whether it is pronating or supinating, on your feet will directly effect the IT band on the outside of your legs. I have noticed as I adjust to this new hip that my walking patterns are quite different -- and of course, some of this is also related to muscle weakness that we have prior to and as a result of our surgeries. You may be experiencing this IT band tightness and other muscle weakness a bit more now as you are doing some experimenting with the stick instead of the crutch too. You are starting to ask for more work of your leg muscles as you progress forward in your recovery -- this is good! :thumb:

One thing that I find helpful as I begin to tax my muscles again is that the heating pad at the end of the day on various parts of my body helps sooth those aches and pains. Settle in on the sofa for an hour or so before bed if you can.

Good luck at the weigh in this evening and remember it's really about how you feel not what the scale says -- though I'll keep my fingers crossed on the cream egg for you :wink1:

Take care,
Cardie

Hehehehehe that cream egg sounds sooooo good! How did the meeting go?

Hi Sarah,
well I made a good start with my first weigh in. I had lost 4.5Lbs. That was encouraging. The cream egg target is probably a week or two away yet- musn't undo all my good work too soon.:yahoo: I am very proud of myself. Fingers crossed for this week. How are your efforts going?

I have one more hydrotherapy session to go tomorrow. I have started going in myself so I will keep that up. It has been really beneficial. My hospital physio sessions will be until Easter and then I will go to the gym at the leisure centre. My recovery has been quite slow, albeit progressing. I am looking to spend the summer getting fit and loosing weight and hopefully to start job hunting for September. I went on the treadmill for the first time since my op and it felt a bit scary at first. I guess as long as I am heading in the right direction that is the main thing. I do think the pain is likely IT band and will work on it. It has been playing up for years.Weakness in the side there is probably hindering my attempts to get my walking gait to perfection!!
All the best
Gizmo

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss! That's terrific!

About the escalator ... I think that would spook me too. I haven't gone anywhere that had an escalator. I'd probably be at the bottom standing there forever because I was too scared to make that first step attempt.

Keep up the great work!

Dorothy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks