THR Ginny's Recovery Thread (LTHR)

Good morning, @Ginny12. It is a grey and wet start to the day here in my neck of the woods, but I have a long list of chores this morning so I need to get moving shortly. We try never to let a little rain stop us here in the Pacific Northwest, as to do so would result in major cabin fever for more than half the year! Besides, we won't melt in the rain so intend to get dressed shortly, throw on a raincoat and hat and venture out. I hope your fabulously boring and consistent recovery is continuing, and you are waking up today feeling good and contemplating a good and happy start to the week. Cheers!
 
Hi @Ginny12 It is so lovely to see folks getting back to life :). I found last time that at four weeks things started to change for me. My first op was my right hip, so I waited until my six week check up to get cleared for driving. This time my OS said at my ten day check that I could drive as soon as I was off the narcotic meds and could do an emergency stop. I've been off narcotics since the end of week two, and could do an emergency stop now. I love driving a stick, but right now am glad to have an automatic SUV that I can get in easily :heehee:.

The one thing that is quite pronounced this time around is my energy drain. I think I'm about the same as last time, but there might be a bit more going on with two healing hips. My first surgery hip is really good for the most part, but has been taking up the slack for second surgery these first few weeks. However, second surgery healing is coming along quickly and I'm off assisted aids in the house most of the day. I won't go without the one crutch if I'm tired however, as I get "limpy" when fatigued!! When I go out to visit the horses I use two crutches like hiking poles, as that provides more stability on the uneven farm tack. I've been practicing the walking in the house with my hands above my head like @SwampHiker suggests, and it really helps engage the core. I'm also doing some simple core exercises on the bed that help my lower back. Anyhow, I have the time to check around and see how folks are doing. I've had so much encouragement here, it is nice to pass it on! :loveshwr:.

Hope you've had a great start to the week, happy tea time and wishing you a relaxing evening!!
:tree2;
 
Dear All,

I am in the fortunate position to say nothing new to report. Seven weeks tomorrow. To be honest i think i am probably the only member of the Under doing it club (UDIC) on this site. I actively enjoy taking it easy, watching the telly and reading books. Physically i am very well but my mental health (anxiety) is always a bit of a challenge for me. I think that's why things like reading are so soothing to me.

I wish everybody the very best. x
 
I am joining you in the Under Doing It Club! Anxiety surely is a daily challenge in hip recovery- it has been for me, too. I’ve actually taken the enforced inactivity as a time to learn meditation. So far, I’m still struggling to keep focused during meditation, but I find it helpful most days.
 
Hi @hiphoser

I read your thread this afternoon and i was really sorry about all the challenges you have had to deal with post op. Re the anxiety that is a life long problem for me but it was pretty bad pre op so i am having a period of relative calm at moment. Hopefully yours only pertains to the rotten luck you have had and will ease as things improve for you.

Good for you learning meditation, from what i understand everybody struggles to maintain focus.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Ginny x
 
Happy Seven Week Anniversary!
Great update, Ginny. It sounds like you're doing so well!
I'm sorry you suffer from anxiety. Nice to hear it's not currently plaguing you, at least not in an
unrelenting sense. I hope you have a peaceful evening and a relaxing rest of the week!
@Ginny12
 
@Ginny12 And I just love “Telly”. Sounds so much friendlier than our American “tv”. I’m joining you in some good telly, as my kids got me Amazon Prime for my birthday, right after my surgery. So I’ve been enjoying Mozart in the Jungle, and the Marvelous Mrs, Maisel, as well as every single Jane Austen production that was ever made. LoL. So glad you’re enjoying some relative calm, and hope you’ve got some wonderful Telly to keep the calm rolling in.
 
Hi, @Ginny12, hope today finds you well and feeling positive about your hip recovery journey. I'm off with my husband on a short jaunt to do some holiday shopping for a few days, power walking through stores, having lovely meals out and staying at a nice hotel. I am quite excited about this, especially since before surgery I was worried that I wouldn't be in good enough shape to manage this, an annual event. Sure, I will be tired from all the walking but that will just mean, I hope, that I'll sleep well each night. I am so looking forward to this little R&R break (despite all the shopping I need to get done) and grateful this morning that my recovering hip is doing so well, and allowing me to do this trip without hobbling or aching. Taking Tylenol just in case, but feeling positive and happy this morning. Have a great day!
 
General update:

Just over 7 weeks and overall i am doing well. I have previously promised to give a truthful account of my recovery even if not all positive, so here goes.

I have had new insoles in my shoes (last week) and since then had slight pain in non operated hip and back. I am seeing my PT today to discuss. On my pelvic x ray about 4 months ago there was no arthritis noted in my non operated hip, but, my worry gremlins are planting the seeds in my mind that my good hip could have arthritis. I know that this is unlikely in the sensible part of my brain.

I went to the pictures (movies) last night and got a bit stiff afterwards. I am a fidget at the best of times so i missed being able to do that in a confined place. When my friend came to my house afterwards she said you are still limping. I went into a bit of a panic (full disclosure massive panic!) as everybody has been said how well i am walking. When she went my husband said i was walking fine so hopefully it was a short lived thing.

I think i may have a bit of the post op blues, however, it will be very hard to pinpoint if it is indeed caused by the surgery or my (at times) fragile mental health.

On a more positive note i remain extremely grateful that the surgery has given me the chance to walk again and for the support that i receive on this site.

I wish everybody well. x
 
New insoles always cause aches and pains at first. Give your body time to adjust to this new "balance".
I went to the pictures (movies) last night and got a bit stiff afterwards.
I get stiff sitting at the movies even now. Always have. Please don't worry - temporary limping at best.
I think i may have a bit of the post op blues, however, it will be very hard to pinpoint if it is indeed caused by the surgery or my (at times) fragile mental health.
Recovery can be quite a marathon. Be good to yourself. Get out with friends and try and stay warm and comfortable at this time of year.

You are doing great @Ginny12 !
 
@Jaycey

You have no idea how much better i felt after reading your reply to my post today. Thank you so much. I really think the expression "making mountains out of molehills" sums me up. However, often i can be reasoned with and when i see a rational, calm and caring reply like yours to me it helps quell the less than helpful thoughts in my head.

Thanks again.

Ginny x
 
Ginny,
I slightly limped on occasion beyond two months post op, when I was for the most part no longer limping!
It was pointed out to me also, as I wasn't aware. On the instances it happened I had been on my feet for a time and was tired. You know they say "old habits die hard" not sure if I fell into a old gait that became all too familiar before my THR, or what? I really didn't give it much thought and chalked it up to fatigue. As long as you're not suffering pain and it seems isolated, at only 7 weeks post op I wouldn't be concerned.
You may not be suffering the post op blues. Possibly this incident got your mind going to the "bad place" and you weren't successful at shutting it down, resulting in some anxiety, which "feels" depressing.
Chin up, you're doing well, it's all going to be okay :yes:
@Ginny12
 
Early days still..and when we get more mobile...things complain!
It will keep getting better.
Hope your weekend is sweet!:roseshwr:
 
@Layla @Mojo333

Thanks for your posts. Much better day today overall and thank you for your support.

@allena has really helped me too by something she said "Little things aren't little really". I am not sure why this resonates with me so much. I think it is because all the "little" things like exercise, gratitude, exercise etc if done in small amounts, consistently, make a massive difference to ones life. I find it easy to ignore tasks/problems as they seem too big to deal with. However, yesterday i kept thinking what little thing can i do to get out of this low mood. After doing a couple of "little things" i felt so much better.

Gratitude as always to you both. x
 
:wave:@Ginny12. I made it to nine weeks out before having second surgery, and I could tell when my first surgery hip was tired, as I would revert to old walking patterns, that were detrimental to my general walking...and then I would limp. Look at it another way....if and when you do limp, use that as a reminder to check your foot-fall pattern and see if you are walking from heel to toe. For me, whenever I limp, last time or this time, it is directly related to being tired and reverting back to bad footfall habits. Sharing for whatever it is worth.

You are doing really well at seven weeks out!:friends:

:flwrysmile:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom