Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting really concerned<^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be concerned about that tight band feeling in that it's telling you that you may be pushing yourself a bit too hard. But don't be concerned that it's never going away. It will .... with time. Lots of time. It can take months or even a year to be fully recovered from a TKR. It's important to listen to your knee and not push through any pain or tightness. You can't "work it out." Only time (and reduced inflammation and swelling) get rid of it. Remember that you can still have internal swelling even if things look fine on the outside.
 
I had the tight band for at least 4 months which is how I was able to comment so fully in this article "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee. I've known people who experienced it for 6 months and even longer. So just try and relax about it and allow things to progress in their own time. And Jamie's right - it's also a warning that something you are doing is being done too much and too hard. When you figure that out, you might be able to take some remedial action - or lack of action!
 
Happy New Year everyone! Had my RTKR on 11/7 so a few days before @2helpme and my recovery has been moving along steadily. But progress is more slowly now. I still have the tight band happening later in the day and I know its because of going all day running around. Some mornings feel so good. So don't worry it will come. I've only been to PT once. And its because of this site and all the great advice. I don't do any knee specific exercises. Normal activity has been my PT. Hang in there!
 
Good day everyone!

I am back again to ask a few questions. I am now experiencing swelling in both my legs even though I only had TKR on my left knee. I have not gone back to PT. My Dr office called today to ask if I was going back and I explained I still had swelling in my legs which is very visible. The office offered to call me in some prednisolone. Has anyone else experienced this and has it worked for you at all? Thank you kindly for your replies.
 
How much activity are you doing now? That could be something to do with the swelling.
I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you.
 
I am preparing small meals, washing clothes, tidying up around the house and primarily icing 3 times a day for at least 1 hour each while elevated with the polar ice machine.
 
@Josephine with your tight band feeling did it strangle around your knee cap and shift positions? I'm so afraid my banding are adhesions. If they are adhesions would I have pain?
 
It's not adhesions! It's just post-op pain. So stop worrying! Plus these things are different for everybody.
 
Good day everyone!

I am back again to ask a few questions. I am now experiencing swelling in both my legs even though I only had TKR on my left knee. I have not gone back to PT. My Dr office called today to ask if I was going back and I explained I still had swelling in my legs which is very visible. The office offered to call me in some prednisolone. Has anyone else experienced this and has it worked for you at all? Thank you kindly for your replies.

I had a lot of swelling in both legs (not just the knees) when I went in for my 2 week check and to get the staples removed. My doc gave me an Rx for prednisone (6 day taper down doses). It worked great at getting rid of all the non-knee swelling, and reduced some of the knee swelling.
 

How can a rubber band or metal clamp feeling be post op pain? Sorry, I don't mean to sound ignorant I just don't get how this severe pressure that shifts and puts pressure on my knee that at times makes it hard to walk. I'm 11 weeks today
 
Tightness is one of the ways in which you feel pain - swelling causes the tightness and pain. Try to stop worrying about it. It's normal.
If the tightness increases, it is a sign that you have been doing too much for your new knee.

Everyone has this rubber band tightness after a knee replacement. Perhaps you need to re-read this article:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

If you want to talk about it some more, let's do it on your own thread.
 
How can a rubber band or metal clamp feeling be post op pain?
Tight feelings are a form of pain. It originates from swelling that is internal within the knee capsule and many times not visible from the outside. When it occurs after (and as a result of) surgery, it's called "post op pain." It is a normal part of many recoveries and that is why Jo referred to it as post op pain. The treatment is to slow down activity, ice and take medications for any lasting pain you have. Time will take care of it.
 
How can a rubber band or metal clamp feeling be post op pain?
There many manifestations of pain and they include soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness. And all require medicating.
 
I'm at 4 weeks and 4 days post op. I'm sleeping well on my side (have since week 3) and swelling is down. I go toPT still 2-3 times a week and I do whatever but if it hurts, I stop.

I still need a walker most days cause I'm a big guy 5ft 8 and 300lbs, but outside of the lower quad strain pain, I feel pretty good. Hang in there, you will be fine. We all heal differently.

Thanks to this site, I have joy. The Drs and PTs don't tell you anything except don't worry, we will get you there
 
Folks, just a gentle reminder. This is 2helpme's recovery thread. Let's not derail it with our own concerns, please.

@2helpme - how are you feeling today?
 
Good morning!

I am doing okay today Celle, thank you for asking. I got a call from my Dr's office about my therapy and I informed them about my swelling in both legs now. They prescribed me some Methylprednisolone and it has relieved both of my knees tremendously. The tightness is still there but I have come to realize, as everyone has indicated, some of this is normal and should be expected. Glad I found this site because it has helped me to understand what is normal/common and what is not.
 
@2helpme You may want to ice even more that you're currently doing. I kept the polar ice cuff on almost ALL the time if I was horizontal. It was #1 thing that helped me more than anything. Over a year later, I still pull out the ice when I over-do it and have swelling and pain.

Freeze enough water bottles to be able to swap the thawed bottles with frozen bottles.
 
@2helpme I also had the same steroid dose pack prescribed to me because of some swelling pressing on some nerves and causing nerve pain and I am a lot better today than I was yesterday. Glad you are feeling well also!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom